Wish upon a 'Star'

cannondale

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

There are some that believe if you put Savage in the slot full time - teams are going to target him. 

Sullivan got ate alive in the slot the last few games.  King was terrible his last game. Do they both not play?
Savage is an Elite athlete. It makes sense

Just now, Outpost31 said:

This whole thing where I state facts and you ignore them and suggest somehow the facts are wrong?  Don’t miss that.  

I didn't ignore it. And it was addressed in the video, along with other factors. Savage will no doubt take some snaps at the Star. I don't think playing him there full time is best for him or the defense. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Guys it’s Savage.

It’s Savage.

My problem with moving Savage there isn't because he can't play it, but he's 2 years into learning/crafting his safety role with the Packers. No need to change that up, especially when he was playing at such a high level late last year. 

• Like 1

I know this won't fit with the narrative this time of year where any new rookie is better than any and all the pieces of **** that are currently on the roster, but Vernon Scott was a slot coverage Safety in college and ranked 31st in coverage grade his last season there. Had 7 PBU's, which a pretty good number from the slot. 

Not the shiny new toy, but someone who probably shouldn't be forgotten either.  

• Like 2

We're not talking about the Raven Greene role here are we? That'd be the "spur" role, not the "star" role. Either way, we have to have a plan at OT before we consider drafting/signing yet another guy to play some hybrid or special role as a DB/coverage ILB.

Also, I'm willing to bet that we pass on Holland and wind up missing out on him when he goes 15 picks before our 2nd rounder.

54 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My problem with moving Savage there isn't because he can't play it, but he's 2 years into learning/crafting his safety role with the Packers. No need to change that up, especially when he was playing at such a high level late last year. 

This is a very valid point.

However, if Barry’s defense highlights the star position, we want our best option there.  Maybe that’s Jaire, but Jaire’s value as an outside corner is higher there in any defense.

That leaves us with Savage.

I want both Savage and Jaire to start racking up HOF stats.  I think both have the potential and talent to get there.

I think it was Scott last year who played deep as the third safety when Savage went to the slot role.  It worked well.

I'm not opposed to taking another safety, but maybe that third one is already on the roster.  

Ideally you draft a "star" player that can also flip deep and then play games with him and Savage throughout the game.  Then you also do that stuff with Jaire.

3D chess vs. checkers.  K.  I added the Jaire piece just for funsies.  He's gotta man up on their best WR more this year and take that away.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...Ideally you draft a "star" player that can also flip deep and then play games with him and Savage throughout the game.  Then you also do that stuff with Jaire...

QB's/coordinators often target the weakest link.  Opponents kinda knew Jaire wasn't that and knew where he was; after a while they just picked on more vulnerable areas.  Barry talked about mixing things up, so that QB doesn't necessarily know who's covering what.  There may be some value in that. 

Improving the weakest individual link(s) could also help.  

As far as i'm aware there are three hybrid positions on defence. I'm only going to focus on two.

One is the star/moneybacker position which is a cross between a LB and a safety. In base defence they would be a safety but in nickle defence they would be a linebacker. They are expected to help out with run defence and cover TEs so they need to be big and fast enough to do both. Guys like that are rare. Examples include Derwin James and Deion Jones.

The other is the nickelback position which is a cross between a safety and a corner. In base defence they might be a safety but in nickle defence they would cover slot recievers. They are easier to find. Classic examples are Minkah Fitzpatrick and Tyrann Mathieu.

Since we're talking about the Star position, the mentions of Savage and Sullivan for that position makes zero sense, they are far too small to hold up as a LB in nickle defence. I think people are getting confused between the two hybrid positions.

The Packers have been trying for a long time to find someone in that role, Off the top of my head: Sean Richardson (career ending injury), Josh Jones (unwilling - saw himself as a safety only), Oren Burks (sucks), Raven Greene (physically could not hold up playing there).

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

so if this is going to be the Fangio / Staley D, I'd have to ask ... which guys played the Star for the 9rs when Fangio was there ... which guys for Chi when Fangio was there ... which guys for the Rams when Staley was there ...

should give a pretty good indicator of the position/player types needed for what Barry was referring to

10 minutes ago, Hugh_Mann said:

so if this is going to be the Fangio / Staley D, I'd have to ask ... which guys played the Star for the 9rs when Fangio was there ... which guys for Chi when Fangio was there ... which guys for the Rams when Staley was there ...

should give a pretty good indicator of the position/player types needed for what Barry was referring to

For the Rams last year Darious Williams was listed as the starting RILB, he is 5'9 and 187lb CB.