mitchell fined

3rivers

nfl.com shows a fine of $48K .  This is a bit much I would say, IIRC mitchell hasn't been classified as a repeat cheap shot player, but did I miss something? Has he been fined before ? This could be a distraction ,  it could take away from how the D plays, or will it?  If they are fining player like this now, imagine what Harrison would have been fined for the Browns game way back when he KO'd 2 players. 

Well Harrison and concussions changed the way the game is played. See concussion lawsuit and the movie Concussion. They are trying to make the game less violent so they don't get sued by future generations. Mitchell is known as a player that walks that fine line so he will always be fined more than anyone else. This wasn't a concussion play but if you want change hit them where it hurts. They should change the way they play

What does going low on a QB have to do with concussions? Nothing. The NFL's rule changes haven't reduced concussions regardless.

Mitchell does some things that bother fans. He's not a bad football player or any sort of liability based on ability. This play was not dirty. He was shoved and tripped from behind by his own guy. There's video evidence of both. This isn't even worthy of a fine, but it became a story so the NFL is going to throw one out there.

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

He's not a bad football player or any sort of liability based on ability.

Gonna have to disagree with that completely.   Dude is out of position constantly and Im not even sure he knows how to form tackle anymore.  He just lowers his shoulder and goes for a big hit nearly every time.

He was shoved and tripped from behind by his own guy. There's video evidence of both. This isn't even worthy of a fine, but it became a story so the NFL is going to throw one out there.

I mean....watching the video closely, Chickillo barely touches him on the back and he seems to just lose his balance.   Perhaps he did trip, but I cant see his foot getting tripped by anyone definitively, and I wouldnt call that a "shove" from Chickillo....looked like he laid a hand on him and maybe slightly pushed forward.

Maybe he shouldnt have been fined as it looked incidental, but it looked more like he fell on his own than anything else.    Hard to say for sure from the video, though.

Its pretty obvious in the video of the play that Chick hits his foot while running which, along with a slight nudge while off balance, causes him to fall. Couple that with Alex Smith back pedaling into his line...it happens. 

I have no idea how thats a nearly a $50,000 fine, though. But I also dont like Mike Mitchell. Its also not my money....soooo

I just hate the "hit hard only" mentality that Mitchell has. There are so many times he could make a play on the ball and doesn't even try. Instead he makes a pop after a 12 yard gain and acts like he is the toughest guy in the world. I used to be on the fence about his play, because I think there are some legit excuses for him, but I am just fully committed to the "I hate Mike Mitchell" train now. The only thing worse than watching a "hard hitter" miss tackles is watching him attempt to play a deep half in cover 2....its borderline pathetic. 

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Its pretty obvious in the video of the play that Chick hits his foot while running which, along with a slight nudge while off balance, causes him to fall. Couple that with Alex Smith back pedaling into his line...it happens. 

I have no idea how thats a nearly a $50,000 fine, though. But I also dont like Mike Mitchell. Its also not my money....soooo

I just hate the "hit hard only" mentality that Mitchell has. There are so many times he could make a play on the ball and doesn't even try. Instead he makes a pop after a 12 yard gain and acts like he is the toughest guy in the world. I used to be on the fence about his play, because I think there are some legit excuses for him, but I am just fully committed to the "I hate Mike Mitchell" train now. The only thing worse than watching a "hard hitter" miss tackles is watching him attempt to play a deep half in cover 2....its borderline pathetic. 

After watching the video several more times, I see where his foot may have been tripped up....but IMO the "push" nor the "trip" seemed to match how he ended up falling.   Still, in the end, I give Mitchell a pass for that since I dont believe it was intentional.

Regardless, I still feel like Mitchell is more a liability than an asset on the field.   Unfortunately, the pathetic reality is, we dont really have anyone better to replace him right now.    Although I wouldnt mind seeing what Wilcox can do in his starting spot....but that wont happen.  

Mitchell is absolutely a liability.  I've wanted him replaced for a few years now.  Hopefully soon.  As bad as some players like Ben aging is, players like Mitchell aging is just as good.  You know you'll get rid of them eventually due to age alone if the coaches/FO are too stupid to replace him based on merit alone.

There is no excuse for us keeping Mitchell beyond this year.    This year it came down to not having much of anything behind him, not many quality free agent safeties and his cap hit.    However, given some of the decisions this front office has made in regards to our secondary, it wouldnt shock me if they gave him an extension.  

Actually...it would shock me.   They cant be that dumb....I have to believe that.    

On 2017-10-20 at 12:59 PM, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Mitchell has entered Willie Colon territory for me. I can't stand him.

and if he enters colon territory at the FO, we can expect him to be getting a new deal in the $10m range soon, of course this is after he spends the year on IR. :$ not quite colon league, but I understand your painful humour :x

Wilcox looks like he could be a good replacement, and I doubt there will be cap $ left for a good UFA. Even if Ben retires, we will find a way to not have any cap space anyways,  especially if Bell has a good season. Mitchell though, needs to go IMO, just too much risk vs reward .

Archived