49ers sign Maurice Hurst.

NcFinest9erFan

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I really don't think Bosa's deal get done this league year but stranger things have happened. Warner's extension probably won't alter his cap hit for this year so I'm not too worried about his deal from a cap perspective. I could still see us eyeing a guy like Sherman if we chose to.

At this point I'll be pretty surprised if Sherm doesn't come back. This roster is loaded, we have the cap space, and that one CB slot is the only missing piece (if Jefferson also signs)

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Hurst is a solid interior rusher, no where close to great by any means, but he’s solid. Not a starter, and definitely not a run defender, but he’ll be a good role player/depth guy.

That's all we need. I think the FO learned from last year that these wacky pandemic-driven off-seasons means you have to stack the cupboard. You just never know how player's bodies will hold up w/o OTAs & mini-camps. We've done that at basically every position except CB & LB, which I think we'll address come the draft. 

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I really don't think Bosa's deal get done this league year but stranger things have happened. Warner's extension probably won't alter his cap hit for this year so I'm not too worried about his deal from a cap perspective. I could still see us eyeing a guy like Sherman if we chose to.

I don't think bosa is eligible to sign a deal yet. I believe you have to be in the league for 3 years. 

Obviously unused capspace rolls over. I would imagine they would want to keep some money aside with the intention of giving it to bosa and Warner next year.

Warners cap hit won't change this year, but I'm sure he will get a decent signing bonus and some of that signing bonus will count towards next year's cap, plus his actual base salary will be north of 13 million you would assume. So he could count like 16-18 million next season. Gotta pay for that somehow 

The bosa brothers are very business savvy. I'm sure Nick will squeeze us for all we are worth. There isn't going to be a homegrown discount considering CA taxes etc etc. 

This was why I assumed we were done signing free agents. It's also why we elected to go with a rookie QB over trading for Watson. Watson would cost us 35m against the cap next year (assuming no restructure). Three firsts and a third may have been enough to make that deal. Idk 

I don't even know what any of these guys cost, but they are all more expensive than any rookie. That's why I am bringing up the money. It's not a major difference, but with so few roster spots and so many picks, I thought that was our plan. I guess the idea may be to load up our practice squad by just having a ton of camp battles, but I feel like we are kind of wasting resources unless we trade up, or trade current picks for future picks. 

The timing is certainly interesting. We always make moves in conjunction with other moves. Our draft board is set by now. We probably have a decent idea who we are targeting in each round. Adding DL and RB right before the draft means we are working backwards and know we are either going to miss the run on edge rushers in the mid rounds, or have decided to go CB/WR at those spots instead. 

These weren't random, hope they stick kind of moves. I'd bet that all three guys got guaranteed money. All three of these guys are going to be on the roster week 1, otherwise they were really stupid to sign a week before the draft. I have to imagine we offered them assurances via guaranteed money. 

We didn't exactly tip our hand, but to me, these moves are precursors to some other big strategic moves going on behind the scenes 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, N4L said:

These last three moves are making me wonder a few things:

1) How many legit roster spots do we have left for rookies? We have 9 picks. I cant imagine 6 rookies making the team, let alone 9. Smells like we are going to be aggressive on a trade up, which is moderately odd because we already did trade up and we gave up zero picks this year. 

Gallman, Key, and Hurst gives the 49ers as much flexibility in this draft as you could ask for. We needed a solid, reliable backup RB and we all thought it would come through the draft, now it doesn't have to. Key and Willis gives us more speed rusher depth behind Bosa and Ebukam, which means we don't have to reach for an EDGE if we don't want to. Our depth behind Kinlaw and Givens was light, so I thought maybe we'd look at a big end that could kick inside or another 3T, but Hurst crosses that want off the list. 

We could still draft a RB and I think drafting an EDGE is wise, but these signings prove we don't have to if it doesn't feel right. The one glaring omission right now is TE2. Reed retired and the FA market is dry with athletic pass-catching TE's. I think TE is in play in the draft.

Which brings me to your point about spot availability with our roster. I think we're primed to get aggressive in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Trading up for a dynamic pass catcher and/or CB seems pretty likely to me. I think with how deep our roster is and the fact we're contending, we need quality over quantity. I wouldn't be surprised to see us have a 5-6 man draft class with a bunch of UDFAs in tow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Two of my fave prospects may now have no chance of being selected by our 9ers, but what do I know? Nothing, of course. Anyway, I really like Elerson Smith and Hamilcar Rashed. Key may mean we don't take any Edge? Hmmmmm......  We do need TE and CB more anyway. 

I think we still take an EDGE, I just think we don't have take one early if something else more enticing is sitting there. Key, Willis, and Barrett are essentially our depth at EDGE right now. None of them are locks to make the team and throwing in a late-round rookie wouldn't upset the balance of competition. 

I can't remember a time when we had this much flexibility going into a draft. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, NinerNation21 said:

Our suffocating DL is back and ready for action. If we get ANYTHING positive from Ford this year, it's just icing on the cake. 

I ram really hoping Ford can play this year. If he does, I am expecting a big year from Kinlaw as well. 

26 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

I ram really hoping Ford can play this year. If he does, I am expecting a big year from Kinlaw as well. 

Gonna love looking at the snap count on a weekly basis and seeing that most of our guys didn't even sniff 50 percent of snaps like in 2019. GIVE IT TO ME FRESH!

• Like 1