Orlando Brown Traded to the KC Chiefs

baltimoreRebel

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Well that escalated quickly. Some thoughts:

• Right tackle becomes the biggest emphasis of need regardless of Villanueva's potential signing.

I agree with you except for this one. I'd rather get a playmaker and/or a really good center. Stanley and Brown Jr would have been more valuable to keep if we still had Flacco. A rusher that Lamar can see coming isn't the biggest threat to our offense.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

I agree with you except for this one. I'd rather get a playmaker and/or a really good center. Stanley and Brown Jr would have been more valuable to keep if we still had Flacco. A rusher that Lamar can see coming isn't the biggest threat to our offense.

Yeah, we need to land a big time C in this draft. I have it as our biggest need, even over edge. 

Starting caliber/Plus RTs have been easy for our franchise to identify, and it's a deep Tackle class. So we're all good on that front.

I'm not desperate to immediately turn one of those 1sts into a OBJ replacement either. We should play the board and see how things shake out.  

Also even if we do pick someone in Rounds 1-3 it's not close to a given that they start. We all know Harbaugh. James Hurst started over Orlando his Rookie year and only an injury forced him into the starting lineup. 

There's actually very few positions where a Rookie we pick will have a shot at significant time tbh. 

I’m not the biggest fan of the trade. I’m not going to say we could have gotten more because in theory of there was better offers they would have taken them. I think the possibility of keeping Orlando Brown for another year and having him potentially help us win a ring and then leaving for a 3rd wouldn’t be a bad outcome at all. Now I do believe this gives us a great possibility to load our roster up with young talent and also leaving money to sign Lamar and Andrews. It just really sucks that it had to be the Chiefs they are obviously the team that we still can’t beat and adding Brown makes them that more challenging also with there other online additions might make them more of a balanced team allowing them to run more. Anyway I digress not my favorite trade but what is done is done hopefully we can make some good selections and this will all be an after thought

I said this elsewhere but I feel like there’s likely two reasons for this deal that I find plausible:

1. EDC didn’t get the deal he hoped for and instead of taking the best deal from a value standpoint, he took the deal that provided Brown Jr (longtime relationship/ties to the organization) with his most ideal landing spot.
- I mean if it were between this and some of the other rumored deals, it could make sense to send Brown to the Chiefs, not ideal value but ideal relationship building from the standpoint of marketing the organization as player friendly.

2. Trojan Horse- @DreamKid mentioned the weight issues. Going into the 2020 season his first 4 games were pretty trash before turning it around to be at a legit pro bowl level to close out the season. In a situation where he’s less motivated, once getting paid and playing his ideal position, does he help implode their OL situation?

Also if he gets a huge deal, might he help to implode their cap situation?

Or him not resigning with KC and winning value over a conference rival.
————

All of the above would trump a deal with another team of similar enough value that didn’t get us that extra 5th year option.
————

All said, still not a good trade. Not a fan of how EDC handled this situation. Why was Brown Jr of the mind to make his public comments in the first place? 

EDC didn’t handle the situation well enough to avoid a public fall out that would seemingly assist in tanking Brown Jr’s ultimate value. He needs to make up for this, else this will be IMO a huge negative to his resume.

Granted Brown Jr’s lack of professionalism here has led me to truly judge him. Could care less where his career leads him to moving forward. It’s a business and I don’t blame him for wanting to have himself benefit, but how he handled that with an organization that he grew up with and seem to speak highly of? Yeah, I don’t wish him bad, but no longer a fan at all. 

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

Can't say I'm a fan of this trade

Strengthening a team we'd almost certainly have to go through to make the SB isn't not smart imo.  And I can't help but feel that the value is meh, even if I know that the Jimmy Johnson trade chart that says the Ravens only got the equivalent of Pick 44 is wrong because it weighs mid-round picks too low.

I think its almost certain EDC trades back from one of those 1sts.  I hope he uses some of those later round picks to move around the draft because I don't think there are a heap of available roster spots (especially given the Ravens' penchant for having extra roster spots dedicated to ST besides K/P/LS), but that is very much not EDCs MO

4 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Interesting that the Ravens are skipping the 2nd round but are more loaded in rounds 3-5. 

Maybe their draft board is shaking out in a way that they have 30 or so very good players, a gap, and then good prospects in the 90-130 range. 

I agree that this probably played a part. Tbqh, I’m not much a fan of the value dip from roughly pick 50-80 or so. Things start to tighten up.

You’re talking the difference between Ronnie Perkins? and Rashad Weaver? I could easily see either player go in the 2nd or fall to the 4th. You’re also talking the difference between a safety like Andre Cisco and ArDarius Washington. Again, the value and the players could be largely interchangeable. Same with the IOL where you go from Josh Myers down to Drake Jackson.

So the value drop from our 2nd to the 3rd/4th, I don’t find to be of as much consequence. It’s the only somewhat saving grace. I see the value similar enough between the values that I weigh the value difference as not as significant as the chart shows.

But agree with @drd23 on his opinion.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Strengthening a team we'd almost certainly have to go through to make the SB isn't not smart imo.

Where was this energy when we traded Chris Wormley to the Steelers? Or Eluemunor to the Pats?  Now you speak up....

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I think its almost certain EDC trades back from one of those 1sts. 

Pick #31 is prime real estate for trades. In the 2019 draft the Rams traded 31 and 203 for 45 and 79.

I think our FO would take a deal like that.

24 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Where was this energy when we traded Chris Wormley to the Steelers? Or Eluemunor to the Pats?  Now you speak up....

Pick #31 is prime real estate for trades. In the 2019 draft the Rams traded 31 and 203 for 45 and 79.

I think our FO would take a deal like that.

Teams want that 5th year option, especially if a QB is dropping that a team likes. 

I don't see us picking at both 27 and 31. If we do, that's cool too. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

😂

I believe I was celebrating (at least the Eluemenor trade).  I'm not sure the Wormley trade was ever worth the effort of debating...

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

😂

I believe I was celebrating (at least the Eluemenor trade).  I'm not sure the Wormley trade was ever worth the effort of debating...

Actually kind of surprised Eluemunor isn't on a roster right now. He played decent at LT for us when Stanley went down a while back. Enough so that the Pats flipped a 4th for him.

obviously they wouldn't have traded him to the Chiefs if there had been better value, thus i trust EDC  to have maximized the return. most here, me included, seemingly overestimated OBJs worth so thats that.

what i do like about it in general is that it probably ensures enough cap room to extend both Mandrews and Hollywood come time.