2 Mocks for the price of 1!!!! (Kurgan's final 2021 Mock + Predictive Mock)

kurgan

Which Mock do you prefer?? The Predictive Mock or Kurgan's GM Mock??  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mock do you prefer?? The Predictive Mock or Kurgan's GM Mock??

• Predictive Mock
    • Kurgan as GM

OK... final mock time!!!  I've been slacking this year, but I have lots of opinions about lots of guys.  I did a mock offseason before, but this is my first mock since the actual FA process started.  So, I want to mix the predictive mock I do (using Pro Days, visits, all the stuff in my other post) and my GM final draft and see which you guys prefer.  As always, comments, questions and complaints are requested and encouraged.

Predictive Mock:

For this mock, I am trying to use all of the historical trends to replicate a Mock that mimics what Tombert actually do in a draft.  So, no 3 in a rows.  No trading.  Follow the trends and numbers.  Take the same risks and stuff as the FO.

1.24:  Najee Harris, RB Alabama  6'2" 230.  With all of the smokescreens and talk, at the end of the day, this pick makes the most sense.  He fits the Pittsburgh mold for an RB, he is a dynamic weapon AND a bellcow back.  He is good at pass pro, and can really do it all.  Tombert and Canada were at the pro day, and the RB coach went back when he had his second Pro Day.  While I think that Eteinne fits more Canada's system, Harris is transcendent.  Another point in Harris's favor for me is the presence of Anthony McFarland.  While it won't prevent the Steelers from taking Etienne if Harris is gone, McFarland can do some of the things that Etienne does, but 0 of the things that Harris does.  It does make Snell a *bit* redundant, but he can be a strong #2 to Harris, with McFarland as the gimmick/COP back.  Samuel would also hang around for emergency,  but I predict a bigger role for him as a move H-Back since he played that with Canada, but that is another topic.

Second place here is clear Etienne, who is a helluva fallback option.  I worry about the power running component of the Steelers offense and the redundancy of McFarland.  But, since he is a combo of the two, I think it'll work.  He is clear better fit for Canada's offense, but I worry about matching up those two with Canada's nomadic nature.

If both go and a trade down is not possible, I'd look for a defensive player here.  I went Stokes in my other post due to boxes checked, but I could see any of the top 4-5 guys, and even Samuels Jr.  I would not look for a OL here due to C not being high enough and the lack of interest in Humphries, and the depth/need of OT makes that a lower priority.  But, if a CB or Edge is here that is falling, that is the pick if Harris/Etienne are gone.

2.55:  Tyson Campbell, CB UGA. 6'1" 193 (Mandated kurgan's UGA pick of pure homerism but still on the reservation).  This guy has it all.  Size, speed, athleticism, pedigree, technique, fundamentals, footwork.  If you made a boundary cornerback in a lab, he would be it.  There is not a trait or measurable that Campbell does not excel at.  So, why is he at #55??  Something is missing.  As a UGA fan and draft guy, it is an inherent, frustrating and intangible thing that prevents Campbell from being elite.  He doesn't force turnovers.  He is not a ballhawk.  He is a perfect DB 95% of the time.  There are 70 plays you love, and 3 that make no sense at all.  Stay stride for stride with Jaylen Waddle, miss a tackle in the flats on Harris.  There is just *something* missing that puts it all together like a puzzle.  And it is not a tangible thing.  He is high character.  He loves the game.  But he is a specimen that is the type that the Steelers covet.  The fact that they were at the Pro Day with the new DB coach seals it for me.

In the scenario above, second place will be the same as above.  A CB/Edge that falls here.  If Campbell is gone, there are other CBs that we have interest in.  Assuming we went D in round 1, this has to be OL unless Williams tumbles.  I'd look Radunz, Leatherwood or even Meinerz, but that is super reach IMO.

3.87:  Josh Myers, C Ohio State. 6'5" 310.  OC is a 100% must draft in the Top 3 rounds.  Connecting the dots and taking out Dickerson (injuries), Humphrey (no interest), Meinerz (small school), Myers is the best pure C left.  I personally feel the OT class is so deep with guys that are OG capable, that pure C will fall.  To me, a guy like Myers is gonna fall behind due to the sheer amount of G prospects.  He is, by all accounts, solidly above average in all aspects of playing center.  There is no weakness in his game other than having no elite skill.  His run blocking is already good enough to be the starter with needs to improve pass sets coming from the passing attack of OSU, which is not pro-style.  But, he is a guy that will quietly be an above average to good center for a long time.

As we will see in MY GM mock draft, I am beholden the idea of an elite Center to carry on the tradition of the Stillers.  But, as we enter this offensive generation, the days of elite HOF Centers may go by the wayside.  With quick passing and offenses changing, having that guy just may not be as important.  I have to assume this is the way that we are going based on the visits.  If we assume that we took Harris and Campbell, and Myers is gone, I am taking one of Trey Hill or Quinn Meinerz.  Meinerz scares me due to not ever having rep of center, so its HIll for me (ignoring Homerism).  Hill is MUCH larger than normal Centers, and is an immediate road grader that is used to protecting less than mobile QBs.  The medical concerns of HIll are legit for a man his size, and his age (21) and only 2 years of starting will knock him down, and this would be a bit of a reach but a need here.

Bottom line... looking at the draft, I see the patterns of visits being that we are, for sure, getting a RB and IOL within the first 3 picks, with CB and Edge sandwiched around them in some order.  The only scenario I could not envision is Edge first and then RB and C next then CB.  While Edge is a huge depth need, any of the first round Edges are not playing right away with Watt/Highsmith.  This leads to...

4.128: Anthony Schwarz, WR Auburn.  6' 186 (4.26 40).  It would be idiotic to ignore the interest of Tombert and Hilliard at Pro Day.  Also would be idiotic to see the obvious hole in our WR room and a QB that loves to throw deep.  Add in Canada's offense, which is predicated on motion, fly sweeps and go routes to fast dudes while the bigger WRs work short to intermediate routes and we do not have that guy now.  Schwartz is that guy.  Legit gold medal speed that even on 4-5 deep shots a game is well worth it.  Canada will love handing it off on fly sweeps, wheel routes and jets as JJSS and EE work the hashes and over the center.  A 'bit' more than a one trick pony who can work flats, speed in/outs and Gus Mahlzahn was creative in getting him into space.  He is also good with his hands, and is not a speedy chest catcher like Limas Sweed.

I know some people will hate this pick, and while I am not a huge proponent of it, I can see it happening.  We always take a WR in the draft and have the YAC-y guy (DJ), the seams/intermediate guys (JJSS and Ebron), and the jumpball/fade/mismatch guys (CC and JW).  What we are missing is a true burner who can lineup in the slot and demand attention.  Coming out of the Mahlzan system, he was used on jets and motions which Canada will love.  The pick here, as mentioned above, should be Edge.  There is a pack of interesting Edge guys in here (Rashed, Jones, Johnson, Smith...). If not a WR or Edge, look for TE/OL (Long, Yeboah, Christensen).  Watch out for Marquez Stevenson of Houston for the same reasons as Schwartz...

4.140:  Malcom Koonce, Edge Buffalo.  6'3" 250.  **MAN CRUSH ALERT**. Plug and play OLB for us.  High effort, high motor upfield pass rusher that looks super aggressive and dominant on a play in play out basis.  Plays in a 3-4 already as a standup OLB, and has some advanced pass rush moves.  Perfect fit for our defense already, and is a pure developmental guy that already has a good floor.  Will need to bulk up and be more stout against the run and refine technique, but a perfect pile of moldable clay for Butler to work with to make an Edge #3.  Progression is perfect with the prescence of Marsh, as it allows Koonce to learn and compete against a vet, and then ascend from there, while making hay on ST.  While not the pedigree of other guys (Hayes, Smith and Rumph) or the profile of the guys mentioned above, he does not have to transition to another style or really change what he already does, schematically.  A sneaky visit to his Pro Day by area scouts, play at the Senior Bowl, and a record of getting MAC guys connects the dots for me.

As above, if we go Edge at 128, this is the spot for TE/OL.  For variety, I could see WR/LB here as well.  With Long, Yeboah and maybe D'Ante Smith of East Carolina, I would throw in Simi Fehoko or Seth Williams as WR, or Derrick Barns of Purdue at LB. 

(Honestly, you could switch the two... I did Schwartz first for the shock factor...)

6.216: Carson Green, OT/OG Texas A+M.  6'6" 320.  Gotta get a OT here.  Slim pickings after, and the last real Steelers tie.  Senior Bowl kid, confirmed Virtual Meeting, and the Asst. OL coach at his Pro Day connects some dots.  4 year RT for the Aggies, he will work there first and then if not capable, will go inside to big guard.  A super project that will be technically sound but need S+C, sled work and film.  Will be capable as a player but will need at least one redshirt year before being counted on as a swing tackle or guard.  Positional need as we have 2 FAs at the end of the year, and maybe he will ride the inactive list and go the Derwin Gray route.

Getting hard to find connections this late of positional needs and with a tie to the Steelers in some regard.  TE John Bates is a fun prospect that met with Alfredo Roberts, and its hard to imagine the Oregon DBs still being here, but I still feel a OT is in the cards late.  I WANT to pull the trigger on Landon Young, but he is all guard and only ST coaches went to Kentucky.  Green is really my last, best direct shot here at OT.

7.245:  Miller Forristal, TE Alabama. 6'5" 245.  **MAN CRUSH ALERT**. Not the TE you were expecting, no??  Hear me out.  EE is a big WR, not a blocker.  Gentry is... Gentry.  Bottom line, we don't draft blocking TEs anymore.  We signed Joe Haeg for that.  I wanted to put Luke Farrell on earlier due to this mindset and connections, but I passed.  Instead, if we are hitching our wagon to Canada, let's look at his tendencies.  Turn on any film of Canada's teams, and you see one of two people playing in the 'slot' in base 10/11 personnel.  There is either a motion-burner guy OR a H-Back/Sniffer.  Detached from the line, move TE that can wham block, split zone and also juuuust good enough to catch a pass or two in a game to move the chains or score a TD.  Ladies and gents, this is 100% what Forristal did for Bama.  FOR 5 YEARS.  This dude was on the field damn near every play for the Tide in the NC and SEC Championship.  He is not an athletic freak, but he gets it done with grit and desire.  He loves football and will work and work.  Connections are Pro Day, Zoom and Senior Bowl.

7.254: Damar Hamlin, DB Pitt.  6'1" 201.  Requiste local Pitt kid pick.  Also works since he is a solid player that can play ST and backup all positions.  A smart split zone safety that is not a killer elite athlete, but is a smart and heady guy that can maybe be trusted to be a true S backup since we don't have one.

KURGAN AS GM DRAFT:

-Ok, like the last couple of years, Colbert reads my awesome stuff and let's me pick the draft.  I am going to try to stay at least relative to the visits and not go off the reservation, but I reserve the right to work to build the Steelers in MY image.

1.24:  Landon Dickerson, C Alabama.  6'6" 335.   **MAN CRUSH ALERT** Let's have a conversation here.  

I did some research (https://www.cover1.net/nfl-draft-injury-impact-alabama-ol-landon-dickerson/) among other places.  2 ACL tears in the right knee.  One in 2016 at practice (pre-mandatory knee braces apparently) and one this year in the last snaps of the SEC championship on a freak play when everyone but one guy was pulling up.  2017 right ankle injury ended his season in what was probably a torn lateral ligament in his ankle.  Best guess is that recovery is 100% and there are no long term effects.  The 2018 left ankle injury is a bit more troublesome, and seems to be mismanaged to some degree, IMO.  More deets in the article, but let's act on this information.

There is no person in this draft that fits the Steelers as well as Dickerson.  Best player at his position, biggest need for us.  Highest level player imaginable, and does everything the Steeler way already.  High effort, high character, high community service, high technique...etc, etc.  ONLY knock is a below average athlete... *rolling eyes emoji*. Road grader, pass protector, bouncer, bodyguard, you name it.

*IF* his medicals are what they are above, this is a steal.  He is a Top 10-15 talent.  Research (and personal anecdotal evidence) shows that there are no long term affects of the 2017 injury.  If the details are right on 2018, his ankle SHOULD be STRONGER.  The research is pretty concrete that if you tear your ACL, the chance of re-tear is 6 times higher in the next 24 months due to many factors but you can reduce it with better doctors/treatment/rehab.  First, the 2016 and 2020 tears are 4 years apart, so they are not related in that regard.  So, assuming that he is drafted, he will have access to the best docs/rehab/treatment (also, Bama ain't no slouch) that can cut that 6x down.  Plus, by all accounts, there was no other damage in the knee, and he is ahead of schedule.  Add in that he does not have to start week 1 if he is not ready (Finney) and this really is a no brainer if his medicals are anywhere near what they are above.

Unanimous concensus that if he was not hurt, he is Top 10-15, and first C.  If I was presented with this information, I would not hesitate.  We are talking about a 10-12 year All-Pro Center, and the next great Steeler Center.  Sure, most teams are scared off since he might not make it to 10 years with wear and tear, but is it not worth the risk?  If I am told that his ankles are good and the ACLs are not related, I am all in.

Now, I will cheat a little bit.  Since I do not have access to all the medicals, I will retain the right to draft Creed Humphrey at 24.  *IF* Dickerson's medicals aren't good (lingering issues, ACLs are related or botched) I will draft Humphrey for the exact same reasons I would draft Dickerson.  Our biggest hole is C.  He would become C #1.  He could, as well, become a great Steeler Center, or at the floor, Pouncey.  The only knock on Humphrey is maybe he isn't as nasty and as a mauler as Dickerson which does matter when trying to improve the physicality of the spot, but I am addressing the biggest need at 24.  Helluva concession prize, TBH.  (AAAAAND, Asst. OL coach was at pro day, so there is a razor thin connection)

2.55:  Joseph Ossai, Edge Texas.  6'3" 250.  This Edge class is strange.  31 flavors at the top (Ojulari, Paye, Oweh, Phillips, Rousseau) that I believe will push the raw Ossai down. In addition, there are CBs later, and Edge dries up for plug and play really fast.

As much as I love Koonce, Ossai is the leveled up version.  Where Koonce has areas that he has to work on, Ossai is a ready product with only experience as his kryptonite.  In the morass that was UT football, the scheme changes and waffling on position jammed Ossai up.  Made for 3-4 defenses, he already knows how to rush, drop and set the edge.  He just has to be able to show it in games and when it counts.  Athletic marvel that walks into camp as OLB #3 from the drop, and is a ST ace.  Butler will coach him up and in a year or so, we will be seeing Watt, Highsmith AND Ossai in 3 OLB packages.

3.87:  Tommy Tremble, TE Notre Dame.  6'2, 250.  **MAN CRUSH ALERT**. He has to be on here.  This is my guy, and if you are a Steelers fan at all, you like him too.  Dude is a throwback mentally with a 2021 body.  Came in as a flex TE dude in HS that was behind Cole Kmet, and took the challenge of blocking.  Made himself into the #2 TE but also the H-Back, FB and even split guy so we could be on the field with Kmet.  Then, Mayer comes in and does all the Kmet stuff, and Tremble just gets better.  He will come and right away be TE #2 and do the Vance stuff, BUT with the added bonus of fitting what Canada does with the move H-Back stuff I covered with Forristall before.  You can play him in 12 as the TE and EE in the slot as the big WR, or in 11 as the Sniffer.  You can put Haeg in as TE #3 and play Tremble as the FB.  Canada can move him around, and he has the chops to beat a seam or under route and get big catches.

4.128:  Elijah Mitchell, RB UL-Lafayette.  5'11" 218.  **MAN CRUSH ALERT**.  Loved this guy since I went back and watched tape on Dotson from last year.  He does everything the right way and is really a guy that is under the radar in this draft process.  As we look at RB, after the big 2, you have a drop off where you have to shop for what you want.  Do you want COP or thumper??  Production without measureables, or measurables without production??  Mitchell is here because he does not have a defining trait.  Not a breakaway waiting to happen.  Not a thumper.  Not a high leverage stats guy.  Not a P5 monster.  None of that.  He is the definition of jack of all trades and master of none.  He has good vision, speed, flexibllity and fire.  He has good skills as a receiver.  He can pass pro OK.  He has some wiggle, but is not elusive.  And I think that he is a perfect fit for our RB rooom.  We have the hammer.  We have the COP guy.  We have the flexible move guy who is a baseline producer.  We are adding a consistent back that takes pride in doing the dirty work.  When he is in, we can call all the plays, and know they will be successful.  He can operate on first and second down early in games to run the base offense.  Let Samuels/McFarland have 3rd down.  Snell can have a drive here and there to punish people.  McFarland can have drives too when we go outside and stuff.  But Mitchell will do the 15-20 carries of our base stuff and do a great job.  And play special teams.  Just a Steeler type of guy.

4.140:  Kary Vincent Jr., CB LSU.  5'10" 190.  A mystery man with a fluid position projection.  First, the measurables, shorter but with longer arms and elite speed.  Played nickel at LSU, but also as a high safety.  Not great against the run, and no real tape at outside corner.  Didn't play 2020, and didn't start much early, and was really only a nickel player at LSU.  So... why take him??  In my mind, with the CBs here, he offers the most upside at some point in the secondary.  I cannot see him as a 1:1 with Hilton at all, as he didn't really blitz much or set the edge in the run game.  From a coaching POV, there are different nickel back types and its all in deployment.  I trust our coaching staff to find out how to use him.  Me, as a DC, I would use him as either a 3rd safety in big nickel, maybe move Edmunds to nickel back with VIncent as the high safety in nickel, OR as a matchup eraser.  The one thing he has shown is lockdown corner man coverage skills and maybe he is just the guy to cover the fastest guy.  Or, you can take your lumps with the fact that he is different than Hilton, and transition to a different type of NB and bring blitzes from different areas than Hilton and cover his edge setting issues.

**TRADE** Steelers send WR James Washington to the Atlanta Falcons for pick 5.183 and a 2022 7th rounder--First, I love JWash.  He has done what he can do for us, and I am projecting this because I just think it is time for a change of scenery.  He just never really found a role here in Pitt.  DJ and CC have both 'passed' him, and JJSS/EE are really the big targets so I can't see him back in 2022.  The Falcons need a vet WR, and we have to settle for a 5th since he is on his last year.  But if Nick Vannett and Chris Wormley can get 5ths, I think JWash can as well.  Plus, they have 9 picks.  We have this big gap, and we have needs.

5.183: Ben "MFing" Cleveland, OG UGA.  6'6" 360.  ****ULTIMATE MAN CRUSH ALERT****. Homerism and personal connection included, Big Ben Cleveland is my favorite player in this draft.  As with John Simpson last year, I have a personal connection to this kid.  I coached around him and as a UGA fan, I have met him on several occasions.  I could tell many personal things about him, but let's just stick to football here.

Being a Guard Only, and not in any way anything else, Cleveland is a mountain of a man who is like a large bulldozer running people over.  If you could look in shape at 360, Cleveland does.  I have personal evidence that he is routinely stopped by the UGA S+C staff from out repping or outmaxing his workouts.  He has done 45+ on the bench multiple times.  He is the version of NCAA Football when we all got to make our own player and made ourselves cartoon characters with crazy stats.  He is that strong.  Both weightroom strong and country strong.  But, being only a guard and non-scheme diverse is going to push him down.  The tackles going to guard will serve to leave him open to us taking him later (I hope).  The fact he is not great on outside zone will take out some teams as well.  And yea.. he does have some stamina issues and would need some in game breaks, but that stands to reason, TBH.

Just thinking about a 2025 line with Dickerson, Dotson and Cleveland on the inside seems unfair.  I don't think it will matter who our RB is.  Add in Tremble as the sniffer, and Mr Rooney's pleas to fix the run game is solved.

6.216:  Josh Imatorbhebhe, WR Illinois.  6'2" 215 (47" VERT).  James Washington leaves town, and James Washington comes back.  Imatorbhebhe does was JWash was known for... deep routes and winning jump balls.  That is what he does and does it well.  Not a burner, but fast enough, and physical enough to go get it.  A deep threat in the same way JWash is, not like a deep threat due to speed.  Not at all a polished WR and a guy that will have to learn a lot about being a pro, but should take over gunner roles and be a special teams guy as well.  Can learn from the vets and be in packages early as he learns how to play.

7.245:  Avery Williams, ??/ST, Boise State.  5'8" 187.  Can you have a guy on your team that just plays ST??  Why not.  Williams may be the best ST player in the country right now.  Blocking 3 punts in one game on any level at any time is crazy.  Housing two kickoffs in one game is also crazy.  I have been coaching a long time, and this is some silly stuff.  I mean, can he just chill with Boz, Berry and the LS??  Just show up to ST film??  Leave after the ST practices??  Seriously, he is a pretty awful cover NB that will get bullied and pushed around in the NFL.  He did offensive drills at his Pro Day which shows the willingness to go there, and he did it in high school, so maybe he can be the motion/jet guy??  Maybe Canada can carve out a role for him for 5-7 plays of offense as a speed sweep guy.  But, he will 100% be on all ST and that is where he will earn his paycheck.

7.254:  Drew Himmelman, OT Illinois State.  6'9" 315.  This is a deep cut, but I LOVE small school huge prospects that OL coaches can turn into players (Villy, Mihalik, et al).  Himmelman was spotted at the Illinois Pro Day and then had a private workout on his own.  Obs did not play in 2020, but he was 6'7" 280 in 2019, and really took it to heart that he wanted to play in the league.  The 7th round is the spot to take chances on guys like this.  I have seen NO tape, but the reports are that he is sound and man among boys in D3.

BONUS UDFA:

1. Zac Thomas, QB App State.  6'1" 210.  Camp arm that will hang around, Duck Hodges style.  May be a candidate to become a gimmick guy down the road, or just a serviceable camp arm for a year or two.
  2. CJ Marable, RB Coastal Carolina.  5'10" 190.  **Man Crush**. Another personal connection guy, hard worker that has a nose for finding daylight.  Needs a lot of work and the right system, but could be a good camp back/PS guy that can do it all if/when he gets called up.
  3. Tony Fields III, LB WVU.  6'1" 220.  One of the stack 3-3-5 backers that is good in dropping zones and filling gaps on the run.  Can work in the LB room and on ST teams.  Will be great in the mix next to Bush in subpackages as he plays above his height.
  4. Nahshon Wright, CB Oregon State.  6'4" 188.  Long, tall and underweight off corner flier prospect.
  5. Dicaprio Bootle, CB Nebraska.  5'10" 180.  Fun little face in the fan slot corner.  Hard hitter but lacks coverage skills.
  6. Forrest Merrill, NG Arkansas State.  6'1" 320.  **Man Crush**. One of my fave film watches.  Little rolly polly bastard that is a true 0-tech with a bit of pass rushing juice.  Always around the ball and is seen pumping up teammates and doing silly celebrations.  Loves the game and loves his role.
  7. Isaiahh Loudermilk, 5tech Wisconsin.  6'7" 296.  Odd size build that will challenge Coach Dunbar to get the most out of him.  Has leverage issues with his height, but if taught the right technique, he can be a monster.  Multi-year BIG10 starter in a similar front, he gives issues to OLmen at times.  Even at his size, he is more of plugger than a rusher, which is even more odd.
  8. JaQuan Bailey, Edge, Iowa State.  6'2" 260.  Bit of a transition prospect here but an interesting pass rush guy that may work as a subpackage rusher as he learns to stand up and play in a 3-4.
  9. Tre Walker, WR San Jose St.  5'11" 180.  Reports are we went to SJSU's Pro Day, and he is the only 'draftable' prospect so... here we are.  High volume guy when the lights come on, but measurables are less than desired.  Torched teams when they did not respect him, but can we get over his measurables?
  10. Pressley Harvin III, P Ga Tech.  6' 263!.  Decent punter that will need to work on consitency.  A lot of fun to watch and can actually throw it a bit.

SO!!!  What do you think???  Predictive seem spot on??  My GM too crappy??  Which would you prefer??  Anything jump out at all??

Edited by kurgan
  • Like 1

Hate Dickerson in the 1st.  300 lb man with 2 blown ACLs in his knees.  I understand the man crush but it is too risky for a 1st round pick.  Especially if you passed on Humphrey.  Dickerson and Humphrey are roughly the same.  Both are phone booth maulers who have trouble finding and blocking on the 2nd level.  If Dickerson did not have the injuries I would totally agree that he is a Steeler  type pick.

I think things could get interesting if both Harris and Etienne are gone.  I predict that the Jets will take Etienne at #23 because the Steelers have all but said they love him.  Only thing missing from the 1st draft in an OT.  Not sure if Green is it.  I would love to take a chance on Ball from Marshall but he does not fit your predictive list 🙂

Your Ben Cleveland pick has me thinking. Until yesterday I didn’t think we’d take an OG in the draft. Maybe a developmental one later, but I’ve been rethinking that. Decastro is a FA after the year and Ramon Foster mentioned that he didn’t think DD would retire a Steeler. He may move on, then OG is a big hole. So Cleveland might be kind of perfect. While OG isn’t a huge need now, it could be a huge need very soon. 

43 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Your Ben Cleveland pick has me thinking. Until yesterday I didn’t think we’d take an OG in the draft. Maybe a developmental one later, but I’ve been rethinking that. Decastro is a FA after the year and Ramon Foster mentioned that he didn’t think DD would retire a Steeler. He may move on, then OG is a big hole. So Cleveland might be kind of perfect. While OG isn’t a huge need now, it could be a huge need very soon. 

On the flip side, given how plug and play OG can be even from the 3rd or 4th round, is using a higher pick on a OG who might not play in 2021 worth it?  I rather take a developmental OC for 2022 who can play OG if needed in 2021, as seen in my mock ;)

20 hours ago, jebrick said:

Hate Dickerson in the 1st.  300 lb man with 2 blown ACLs in his knees.  I understand the man crush but it is too risky for a 1st round pick.  Especially if you passed on Humphrey.  Dickerson and Humphrey are roughly the same.  Both are phone booth maulers who have trouble finding and blocking on the 2nd level.  If Dickerson did not have the injuries I would totally agree that he is a Steeler  type pick.

I think things could get interesting if both Harris and Etienne are gone.  I predict that the Jets will take Etienne at #23 because the Steelers have all but said they love him.  Only thing missing from the 1st draft in an OT.  Not sure if Green is it.  I would love to take a chance on Ball from Marshall but he does not fit your predictive list 🙂

Yea... I get that about Dickerson.  I tried to reason it, and I still will, but at the end of the day, its not my money.  I don't see Humphrey and Dickerson as the same... I like Humphrey as a fallback but not as the #1 option.  I see Dickerson's love of the game, the outgoing aura, the off the field stuff as worth so much more.  Maybe I am just not seeing as much in Humphrey, but I also think that Dickerson is more suited for the power game than Humphrey.  I am not sure how good he is coming from the Big12.   I'm just not as sold on tape of Humphrey.  Again, could be wrong, but I take the chance.  You tell me he is a 10 year all Pro, done.  Even 8, due to his knees.  I'm OK with that.

I agree.  Can't see it happening, but it is possible.  #3 has to be Edge or Corner, IMO.  OT is hard.  Its hard to make a case for it with knowing that the Steelers clearly don't care about expiring contracts.  There just isn't a path to immediate PT for a Tackle, which is counterproductive for a high pick.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

On the flip side, given how plug and play OG can be even from the 3rd or 4th round, is using a higher pick on a OG who might not play in 2021 worth it?  I rather take a developmental OC for 2022 who can play OG if needed in 2021, as seen in my mock ;)

yea, but Ben Cleveland won't be in next year's draft.  Love the plug, BTW.

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

yea, but Ben Cleveland won't be in next year's draft.  Love the plug, BTW.

Like I said, I really like him too.  But....given where this team is there's a reasonable chance you can still get someone to contribute in the 5th round.