Drafting a wide receiver!

Lately there have been some discussions about when, if, and who the Browns are going to draft a WR due to the fact they have 30M tied up in OBJ and Landry.  Some advocate trading up because this year’s draft is super strong at WR while others believe they can get starting caliber WR in 2-3 round.  Yet some believe we have 6 WR’s already (OBJ, Landry, Higgins,Hodge, Jones, and Natson) and no need.  My belief is Browns will go CB first and WR second unless they trade OBJ or Ndjoku.  If they do use a high pick on WR they might let Landry go. Some believe they will make moves to get a 1 or 2 next year for a WR.  With the best roster Browns have ever had there is much speculation about the draft.  How important do you think WR is for us in this draft?

19 minutes ago, #32 said:

How important do you think WR is for us in this draft?

I believe very important.

We've got a looming issue at WR with both OBJ and Landry being very expensive and arguably not worth it.  This is a strong WR draft by all accounts, so not taking a WR or 2 would be pretty dumb.  Our FO is not dumb.

TalkativeBelatedGartersnake-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2

I think it’s important, but not a necessity.

Obviously it would be be nice to have someone in place for future planning, but if the cookie doesn’t crumble the right way and a WR isn’t the best player on the board, we’ll be fine.

I do think it’s enough of a need that it’s in play at 26 if one of the top 3 guys falls or even someone like Bateman.

Ideally we grab someone day 1–2.

We are now in a position as to where we don’t want to have to depend on rookies as immediate key players going forward, so looking at grooming a youngster for when Landry and OBJ come off the books in 2 years and Higgins next year would be wise. Hopefully DPJ is well on his way after last year.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Letting Landry go would be beyond stupid.

Do whatever you want with OBJ I couldn't care less but not making a effort to restructure Landry with a long term deal would be extremely short sighted. 

Ok guys name 1 organization that drafted

2 1000 yard widereceivers in draft.

Come on guys 

The Browns have drafted 1 wide receiver in 30 years and his name is Josh Gordon. 

30 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Ok guys name 1 organization that drafted

2 1000 yard widereceivers in draft.

Come on guys 

The Browns have drafted 1 wide receiver in 30 years and his name is Josh Gordon. 

Right, let's not get too big in the britches just yet with a whopping 1 successful season and start thinking we don't need Landry/OBJ to be good and that they are replaceable with random draft picks.

39 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Letting Landry go would be beyond stupid.

Do whatever you want with OBJ I couldn't care less but not making a effort to restructure Landry with a long term deal would be extremely short sighted. 

Landry has been good, but he’s not 15 million a year good.

Last year, mostly without OBJ, he had 850 yards and 3 TD’s.  He’s not a deep threat, and primarily a possession guy from the slot.  

No one is going to put up big numbers if this offense is running well.  We’re gonna spread the ball around, run a lot of 3 TE formations and run the ball a good bit.

Id love to keep Landry, but that cap number is gonna need to come down a good bit, like, under 10 million. I personally don’t think there’s anything OBJ can do to stay here into ‘22.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Right, let's not get too big in the britches just yet with a whopping 1 successful season and start thinking we don't need Landry/OBJ to be good and that they are replaceable with random draft picks.

Yeah, we definitely can’t find someone who can produce what OBJ has here 😂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, we definitely can’t find someone who can produce what OBJ has here 😂 

Strictly referring to Landry, we can't let him go. But OBJ is here this year, so I'm having trouble finding a reason why the Browns would spend a 1st, 2nd or even a decent 3rd on a WR who would basically redshirt behind OBJ/Landry/Higgins/DPJ.

WRs are capable of having immediate impact so why wouldn't we cross that road when we get there next year.

There are far bigger needs on this team this year than WR. If they want to spend a 5th or 6th on one for depth purposes then fine but I'm not going any higher than that.

I also wouldn't rule out already having OBJs replacement already on the roster in the likes of DPJ or Higgins. DPJ is uber talented, if he grows more this year, who is to say that he couldn't step in as the #1 outside guy in 2022?

DPJ/Higgins outside with Landry in the slot sounds just fine to me over spending a premium pick on a WR when that can be used to get even better on the trenches.

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Strictly referring to Landry, we can't let him go.

I mean, ok.  Again, 850 yards and 3 scores.  That’s replicable.

But OBJ is here this year, so I'm having trouble finding a reason why the Browns would spend a 1st, 2nd or even a decent 3rd on a WR who would basically redshirt behind OBJ/Landry/Higgins/DPJ.

I personally have zero faith in OBJ being either healthy or highly productive.

WRs are capable of having immediate impact so why wouldn't we cross that road when we get there next year.

Because a WR would be the BPA (potentially).  You don’t pass up superior talent for need, especially round 1.

There are far bigger needs on this team this year than WR.

See above.

If they want to spend a 5th or 6th on one for depth purposes then fine but I'm not going any higher than that.

Sure, they may do that, but we literally have one dude on this roster who has a high likelihood of being here next season, maybe 2 if Landry restructures.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, ok.  Again, 850 yards and 3 scores.  That’s replicable.

I personally have zero faith in OBJ being either healthy or highly productive.

Because a WR would be the BPA (potentially).  You don’t pass up superior talent for need, especially round 1.

See above.

Sure, they may do that, but we literally have one dude on this roster who has a high likelihood of being here next season, maybe 2 if Landry restructures.

Landry is not replaceable IMO and it goes beyond stats. He is a team leader, captain and Bakers go-to guy when he needs a play especially in big moments or 3rd downs. He also gives the offense a definable attitude and identity. You can't replace what he brings to the entire team with a draft pick.

Your not paying him for strictly his statistics, your paying him for the full package he brings. Which is extremely valuable to the Browns who are still looking to build and establish themselves.

I was getting pretty heavy into the "Terrace Marshall at #26" train before the reports came out that his Indy medicals were red flagged. We'll see now. I'd love Bateman there but I have trouble seeing him getting out of that 18-24 stretch.

I think WR is one of our 4 roles where we clearly would like to come out of the first four rounds with SOMETHING (WR, DT, DE, CB). I know most of us would add LB, but it's clear that the FO doesn't necessarily agree. 

The draft is deep at WR, but that doesn't mean you ignore the top guys and bank on a later pick. I think there's a ton of good options at all three of the zones we know we'll be picking. So I think it's highly likely we take one in the first 3 rounds, but I don't know where.

• Like 1

When AB talked about looking at the draft as a long term solution rather than filling an immediate need, WR was the first position that came to mind.

This draft is deep with WR that offer speed or some other area of excellence that would benefit Stefanski's offense.  There are likely to be multiple options at every pick.

Probably only room for 1 on the roster this year, but next year appears to be a deep WR draft as well.

• Like 2