2021 Mock Draft

warfelg

Just to add on...

1)   You say he showed alot in limited time, but dont acknowledge that there was a very real reason for his limited time.   He is an athlete PLAYING football....not an athletic football PLAYER.   He relies way too much on his athletic ability.   Claiming that Buds last two years would be average years for Oweh is incredibly baseless and ignores that Owehs shortcomings are pretty damn similar to what Duprees were.  Oweh has a higher ceiling, but he has a much better chance of busting as well.

2)  Tombert special?   When is the last time the Steelers drafted someone as unproductive as Oweh in the first round?

He is about as much of an old Al Davis pick as you can get.

Not trying to be mean....but the thought of drafting him early annoys me.   He isnt anywhere close to a first round talent.....just a first round athlete.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Like drafting Bud Dupree or Ryan Shazier?  Tomlin loves his SPARQ athletes

Dupree and Shazier were much much much more productive college players.    Not really comparable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

Dupree and Shazier were much much much more productive college players.    Not really comparable.

Dupree was a wreck when he came here and everyone thought Shazier was a bust after 2 seasons.  Neither was anywhere ready for the NFL.  Dupree totally relied on his physical ability because he played 3 different positions at Kentucky in  3 years.  Shaizer played at a 4.6 speed because he could not read plays fast enough for his athletic ability.

The point is Tomlin will take the Athlete, like Shazier, Dupree and Burns, and count on training them up, over the ready for the NFL product but much lesser athlete

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Dupree was a wreck when he came here and everyone thought Shazier was a bust after 2 seasons.  Neither was anywhere ready for the NFL.  Dupree totally relied on his physical ability because he played 3 different positions at Kentucky in  3 years.  Shaizer played at a 4.6 speed because he could not read plays fast enough for his athletic ability.

The point is Tomlin will take the Athlete, like Shazier, Dupree and Burns, and count on training them up, over the ready for the NFL product but much lesser athlete

I think Burns is in a slightly different category. Although Burns is in the great athlete category as well , Burns was a consolation prize to missing out on William Jackson. I think Edmonds makes your point as well on the Steelers and SPARQ.

But I agree with 43Mafia here, he is a great athlete, but not a great football player. He seems to be the anti Greg Rousseau.  I see Rousseau as a  good football player/natural pass rusher who put up poor to meh workout numbers. I would be surprised if they drafted him early because of his workout numbers.

I would not mind having Oweh on the roster, but he would be a project like Bud and Shazier both were.  And definitely not in the first round. Because of the reasons that you pointed out with Shazier and Bud. The great athlete who is also a great football player is JOK.

I will say that you could count  on one hand the number of CBs that are ready for the NFL in any draft and more often that not it will be zero.  CBs are on an island most of the time so it is totally about athletic ability.  Very very few players are NFL ready with the exception of Oline and some Dline.  I think that is because the positions can be fairly simple and if they have learned their hand techniques they are more than ready.

To paraphrase Deon Sanders, College Coaches just teach the CBs just enough to run their system.  They will learn their craft when they are drafted.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Owen will go within the first 40, and he should. 

You may be 100% correct, but it doesn't mean it is the right thing for the Steelers. Talent, potential, and being coachable are what make him attractive. But truthfully you have to ask why a guy that freakishly athletic and talented didn't produce? In Bud's case he was raw and was moved around, but he did produce. In Shazier's case, he was freakishly fast, quick and explosive. Both of these guys were also high character people as well. 

As jebrick pointed out, they had their growing pains and frustrated the heck out of us at times. We have said the same about Edmunds as well. He's always around the ball, but doesn't have the anticipation or natural instincts or awareness. great athlete does not always = great football player. The play against the Cardinals two years ago when he mistimed his jump and missed an int that turned into a TD. Last year, he improves and picks off Jacksonville on a similar throw. 

Most of us want the sure thing or more realistically the better football player. 

I love when the Penn State Fan comes out in @43M evaluations 😎

I don't necessarily feel the same way, but that's almost 100% because I believe that we do have the coaching staff to unlock that particular position with Dunbar and Butler. But my knee jerk reaction after watching PSU games has been "why the hell is Oweh here?" in mocks. 

The situation with TJ and that front, having Highsmith here already, the coaching staff -- it does feel like a perfect storm to turn that freak into an All-Pro. Said it earlier, but I think thats what you get -- either an All-Pro or a dude out of the league after his rookie contract. I don't see any in-between. 

Harris is a first round pick that makes me feel unexcited but safe. Oweh is a first round pick that scares the life out of me, but gets me super excited. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

You may be 100% correct, but it doesn't mean it is the right thing for the Steelers. Talent, potential, and being coachable are what make him attractive. But truthfully you have to ask why a guy that freakishly athletic and talented didn't produce? In Bud's case he was raw and was moved around, but he did produce. In Shazier's case, he was freakishly fast, quick and explosive. Both of these guys were also high character people as well. 

As jebrick pointed out, they had their growing pains and frustrated the heck out of us at times. We have said the same about Edmunds as well. He's always around the ball, but doesn't have the anticipation or natural instincts or awareness. great athlete does not always = great football player. The play against the Cardinals two years ago when he mistimed his jump and missed an int that turned into a TD. Last year, he improves and picks off Jacksonville on a similar throw. 

Most of us want the sure thing or more realistically the better football player. 

I got a couple of reasons as to why he didn’t produce:

#1 PSU sucked this year. Teams didn’t pass as much so his pass rush opportunities were limited. 

#2 He saw a lot of chips and doubles from what I saw. 

#3 Franklin has always had some strange rotations on the defensive front. 

#4 Lack of other threats on the DL. 

6 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

@jebrick and college coaches are coaching players to win for their programs, not necessarily to be better pros. They may sell opportunity to be drafted, but they are concerned about winning for their school/team. That is where heir job security is.

Very much agreed. 

1 minute ago, Steeler Hitman said:

@jebrick and college coaches are coaching players to win for their programs, not necessarily to be better pros. They may sell opportunity to be drafted, but they are concerned about winning for their school/team. That is where heir job security is.

Which is exactly what Deon Sanders pointed out.  Some players get work on their craft in college.  When you see a WR that can run routes well in college that WR will have success much sooner than a WR gotten for the speed ( depends on the QB as well). 

Point is, some players are NFL ready but may not be the best athletes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Also if high SPARQ player coming out early who needs some grooming isn’t a Tombert special I don’t know what is. 

Not disagreeing with from the history. But saying, that we have not always had the success with that. We haven't won a SB since the 2008 season, we may want to look at some of what we have or have not been doing. IJS