Draft Week! Third Overall Pick - POLL

N4L

Who do you want the niners to draft?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 12:00 AM

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Speaking of Simms he is on MM pod and he says Jones is better then Matt Ryans and Brees coming out. 

What am I missing with jones? Are we just clueless with him? He better be Payton Manning brain from day 1. 

You basically said it. He’s got a Peyton Manning type brain. Not the physical gifts of Peyton which is why the Brees comparison is better. 

People are lower on him because it’s hard to distinguish special abilities on tape unlike Fields/Lance.

Plus he was surrounded by so much talent that it’s easy to chalk his success up to that. 

His teammates took him over Tua without hesitation.

1. Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

2. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

3. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

4. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

5. Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Looks like this was his final rankings....No clue why he ended up having Jackson #4 after having him #1. Definitely was pressured off that but still, you can argue Allen is the best QB of that class so not looking that bad lol. 

2 minutes ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

Yes he is.. he had the college all star team playing for him... his arm strength is average at best and just the same as Jimmy G.. Hell my 5 years olds can outthrow both of them..

You’re right.

Arm strength > Accuracy + Decision Making

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He had Jackson #4 or Allen #4? 

Jackson. 

He did have Allen #1. I do want to give him credit for that...though not as impressive for me given that my love of Josh Allen was known a year in advance LOL (though he did shake me up after that disastrous junior season...I really didn't know what to do with him) 

But his final rankings (so far as I can tell...I can't find anything dated later). It's one of the reasons I kind of dislike him because pulling out that crap about how he rated Jackson #1 was so disingenuous and misleading. If someone can find published rankings after 4/1/18, let me know, but are the last ones I know of. 

“I think the quarterback class is a hair overrated.” So says former NFL quarterback Chris Simms, now a Bleacher Reportanalyst. I asked him to rate this class of quarterbacks, in first-round order, and he had some interesting thoughts. His list:

1. Josh Allen, Wyoming
2. Josh Rosen, UCLA
3. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
4. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
5. Sam Darnold, USC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle_Rico said:

You’re right.

I don't think that there's anything special in Mac's decision making. He benefits a ton from a system that cradles him

His pocket work >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jimmy G though lol. I mean....that's a huge difference. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

You’re right.

Fields has arm strength and accuracy. One can argue that Mac needs some work on his decision making as well; like that clip @Forge posted yesterday of him checking down when he had a guy that would have been considered open by NFL standards. We don't need a checkdown artist. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jackson. 

He did have Allen #1. I do want to give him credit for that...though not as impressive for me given that my love of Josh Allen was known a year in advance LOL (though he did shake me up after that disastrous junior season...I really didn't know what to do with him) 

But his final rankings (so far as I can tell...I can't find anything dated later). It's one of the reasons I kind of dislike him because pulling out that crap about how he rated Jackson #1 was so disingenuous and misleading. If someone can find published rankings after 4/1/18, let me know, but are the last ones I know of. 

“I think the quarterback class is a hair overrated.” So says former NFL quarterback Chris Simms, now a Bleacher Reportanalyst. I asked him to rate this class of quarterbacks, in first-round order, and he had some interesting thoughts. His list:

1. Josh Allen, Wyoming
2. Josh Rosen, UCLA
3. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
4. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
5. Sam Darnold, USC

Yeah, those were the last I could find as well. 

He either overthought it with Jackson or got embarrassed of the hate he was receiving and moved him lower...Which is a big no no. At least the last few years he has stayed consistent with his rankings...He did flip Fields and Lance though, but that was the only change. 

Just now, GW21 said:

Fields has arm strength and accuracy. One can argue that Mac needs some work on his decision making as well; like that clip @Forge posted yesterday of him checking down when he had a guy that would have been considered open by NFL standards. We don't need a checkdown artist. 

We need a playmake not a game manager ala Alex Smith

Just now, Forge said:

I don't think that there's anything special in Mac's decision making. He benefits a ton from a system that cradles him

His pocket work >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jimmy G though lol. I mean....that's a huge difference. 

Disagree about the decision making. Agree that he benefits from the system but none of the top 5 QBs were in systems that were difficult.

Agree about pocket work. Absolutely love that about Mac. Incredible footwork.

4 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Disagree about the decision making. Agree that he benefits from the system but none of the top 5 QBs were in systems that were difficult.

Unsustainable rate of rpo / playaction work in the alabama system. Like 56%. People consider clemson's offense college gimmicks and TL still ran that about 10% less. 

He goes to secondary reads less than 10% of the time (half as much as Fields as charted by draft network), and he's no particularly good when he does it (charted by TDN, PFF, someone else I'm pretty sure). Its possible that he is a good decision maker, but I don't believe that he was consistently forced into situations where he had to show that. Like, I wouldn't say he makes bad decisions. I just honestly don't know. He was super point and click. There's a concern on whether he process and makes decisions, or the system does. If he went to the NFL and was a very good decision maker, it wouldn't surprise me. IF he was a bad one, wouldn't surprise me either.