Draft Week! Third Overall Pick - POLL

N4L

Who do you want the niners to draft?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 12:00 AM

6 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

When it comes to making the biggest trade in franchise history for a QB of the future when your head coach is considered an offensive genius, I think this is the exact scenario Shanahan should be able to get his guy even if others disagree. 

He's an offensive genius...there is nothing in that title that would support that it makes him the best talent evaluator. 

Biggest trade in our history and one of our biggest draft picks in history and it just seems like faulty logic / faulty process to be like, "the dude who hasn't shown to be a great talent evaluator and who is not likely to be our best talent evaluator should basically be in charge of making the selection". The guy who does the least amount of work in this specific field is running the show?  That just seems like such a poor way to manage the choice to me. I mean, I get that the results could go either way...I Just find fault with the idea of it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Doesn't the whole "face of the franchise" thing have to come into play somewhere? I think more so in SF than any other city a QB could land in.

That's probably an older video, but still not a good look. 

18 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Doesn't the whole "face of the franchise" thing have to come into play somewhere? I think more so in SF than any other city a QB could land in.

Nope. One thing matters. How Shanny feels. That's it. Nothing else matters. 

It's really hard to find a lot of tape on Lance. But I've made a concerted effort to look at what highlights I can find. You all know I've fan a big Fields fan-boy, but I do understand what people are saying about Jones. But after watching as much of Lance as I can find I think he "processes" as well and as quickly as Jones. And it even looks to me like he has more full field reads and certainly more pro-style throws. Plus he's got the arm and legs of Fields. The only, only thing missing is better accuracy. So if accuracy is coachable, and Allen shows it is, then there is zero excuse for Jones over Lance. 

FWIW I'm not changing my mind about Fields because I think he can be learn to play a better short game once that is part of the scheme he is in. And once he does that his sacks will go down too. I see him and Lance with the same upside but a higher floor for Fields.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Lynch went as a smokescreen according to him. It certainly looks bad in hindsight passing on Mahomes/Watson but at the time there were major questions about both, I think we tend to forget that. 

No Niner fans I know were mad about passing on Mahomes at the time. But to your point I think so many teams whiffing on Mahomes/Watson/Josh Allen has made teams completely re-evaluate how they view QB prospects. 

Yeah, Lynch said he went as a smokescreen, but came away so impressed that he called Shanny and told them that they should maybe re-think what their plans were. I remember an interview with Shanny saying that they had a plan to go sign Kirk Cousins that next offseason, so they didn't put a lot of time into QBs that year as well. My point is, that these guys shouldn't be getting so locked into a plan or player that they don't explore other options; they need to be agile and adjust their plans based on what is in front of them. 

35 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

He nailed Aiyuk.

Missed badly on Williams/Pettis but I don't care much about day 3 picks. The Pettis one was bad though.

QBs are his thing though. You know like moving up to steal Beathard before all those other teams that were clamoring to get him

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Yeah, Lynch said he went as a smokescreen, but came away so impressed that he called Shanny and told them that they should maybe re-think what their plans were. I remember an interview with Shanny saying that they had a plan to go sign Kirk Cousins that next offseason, so they didn't put a lot of time into QBs that year as well. My point is, that these guys shouldn't be getting so locked into a plan or player that they don't explore other options; they need to be agile and adjust their plans based on what is in front of them. 

In other words they need to trust the scouting departments to do their jobs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's an offensive genius...there is nothing in that title that would support that it makes him the best talent evaluator. 

Biggest trade in our history and one of our biggest draft picks in history and it just seems like faulty logic / faulty process to be like, "the dude who hasn't shown to be a great talent evaluator and who is not likely to be our best talent evaluator should basically be in charge of making the selection". The guy who does the least amount of work in this specific field is running the show?  That just seems like such a poor way to manage the choice to me. I mean, I get that the results could go either way...I Just find fault with the idea of it. 

Can't get behind the idea that a GM should be picking Shanahan's QB for him. QB is an extension of the Coach on the field and no one knows better what they need that person to be than Shanahan. 

Doesn't mean Lynch/Peters have no say. They have plenty of input but final call should ultimately be Kyle's.

Also, seems like people are randomly assigning credit to Lynch/Peters/Shanahan from previous drafts. We don't know who has influenced what picks. Literally just guessing. 

I know you said you're a fan of Peters. Is that based on something specific?

23 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Going to cost them more then what we paid. 

If the world believe Fields and Lance will still be there at 4 then the price should be comparable to what we paid because up till then everyone was thinking Fields was a lock to go 3rd.

2 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Can't get behind the idea that a GM should be picking Shanahan's QB for him. QB is an extension of the Coach on the field and no one knows better what they need that person to be than Shanahan. 

Doesn't mean Lynch/Peters have no say. They have plenty of input but final call should ultimately be Kyle's.

Also, seems like people are randomly assigning credit to Lynch/Peters/Shanahan from previous drafts. We don't know who has influenced what picks. Literally just guessing. 

I know you said you're a fan of Peters. Is that based on something specific?

I'm fine with the idea that Shanny gets to pick the qb. What I'm not ok with is that he gets carte blanche to pay whatever he wants for one. That should be the scouting department that sets the valuations.

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Agree with your premise that we need to not be rigid.

I just think the Mahomes/Watson thing gets overblown. No one knew they would be this good. Taking Mahomes at 2 that year would have seemed laughable. Almost everyone had Trubisky over both him an Watson. 

Obviously looks terrible in hindsight.