The Car Thread

Dome

43 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

@ET80 I'll probably buy another car within a year or so. I need a bigger SUV for trucking the kids around. Jeep Grand Cherokee is definitely on my radar but did you test drive a Kia Telluride?  They look pretty cool imo. 

The Telluride/Palisade/GV80 were the first ones we started to look at, but they were so hard to find equipped the way we wanted at a reasonable price. Those cars were in high demand in Houston, we could barely find any that could have been had at MSRP, pretty much each one we looked at had some sort of mark-up we didn't feel comfortable paying. 

We were planning on waiting for the Summer to look for one of these - then the Jeep sort of fell into our laps at the price point we were looking for.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Pretty much down to if i want to get the 4Runner or not. The way it holds it’s value and what i can get it for is what’s drawing me in. Only negatives are the datedness inside as well as it would be another Ally lease which i don’t prefer.

Next Gen is coming soon for the 4Runner. 2023 will be the updated model. I'm satisfied with this Gen 4Runner/Tacoma as long as it's the updated one that comes with apple CarPlay.

I want to ditch my Colorado for a Tacoma but tacomas are 10k more than all the other ones. I know it's the wrong time to buy so I went window shopping and they wanted 51,000 for a 2020 TRD Off-road Tacoma. 

Insane. My wife wants a Bronco or 4Runner. I want reliability so Toyota it will be. My only complaints are the interior as well and my wife goes into the office twice a week to downtown Austin which is almost 30 miles one way and the 4Runner is a gas hog 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Next Gen is coming soon for the 4Runner. 2023 will be the updated model. I'm satisfied with this Gen 4Runner/Tacoma as long as it's the updated one that comes with apple CarPlay.

I want to ditch my Colorado for a Tacoma but tacomas are 10k more than all the other ones. I know it's the wrong time to buy so I went window shopping and they wanted 51,000 for a 2020 TRD Off-road Tacoma. 

Insane. My wife wants a Bronco or 4Runner. I want reliability so Toyota it will be. My only complaints are the interior as well and my wife goes into the office twice a week to downtown Austin which is almost 30 miles one way and the 4Runner is a gas hog 

I think I’m going with the 4runner. I can get equity in my Alfa(crazy to even say that), So I’ll save 3k in taxes on the 4runner, I’m getting it at employee pricing, so a $49,500 sticker 4runner limited I’ll get for $45k. Interest rate at like 2%, i’ll be positive in that truck forever. It just makes too much sense for me. I can drive this thing for 2 years and probably have 15k in equity in it with how they hold their value. I went back and forth, this makes wayyyy more sense than leasing. It’ll be a higher payment, but who cares when i get it all back down the road. 

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

I think I’m going with the 4runner. I can get equity in my Alfa(crazy to even say that), So I’ll save 3k in taxes on the 4runner, I’m getting it at employee pricing, so a $49,500 sticker 4runner limited I’ll get for $45k. Interest rate at like 2%, i’ll be positive in that truck forever. It just makes too much sense for me. I can drive this thing for 2 years and probably have 15k in equity in it with how they hold their value. I went back and forth, this makes wayyyy more sense than leasing. It’ll be a higher payment, but who cares when i get it all back down the road. 

That's the truth. Leasing is like throwing money into a fire pit. You take good care of your vehicle if it's an American or Asian maker and it will last a long time sans lemons. 4Runners and Tacomas value for resale and reliability are unmatched.

Unless someone is obsessed with euros and needs to drive euros, it's good to not lease. Euros leases only make sense because no matter how good you are with maintenance, euros will burn holes in your wallet.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

On 11/3/2021 at 8:33 AM, Matts4313 said:

Oh, I have a feeling you all are going to judge me very harshly when you see the final build out of my self titled "ugly truck" (story behind the name if you all want it). But the ultimate goal is to end up with a "Matts" version of this:

jeep-gladiator-scrambler-tribute.jpg

Though I dont think I am putting the sport bar/KC lights for a long time. I thought I would get those early, but its one of the few items that I can not find anywhere for a good price. Those things are expensive for something that serves no functionality. 

I really genuinely don't actually hate that look at all.  It's pretty badass tbh.  It has an awesome retro vibe, crossed with the inherent capability vibe of the Gladiator.

I just question the necessity of it.  If it's all looks, it's kind of a poser...even if it could do so much more.  If you don't need the offroad engineering of the Jeep, you could do up a Maverick with the same aesthetic, and it'd perform as well, or probably better in the role.  It'd be the more appropriate vehicle.  That's my sticking point...

On 11/4/2021 at 7:21 AM, Matts4313 said:

So I need some help yall, I want to get a custom decal for my dash. There is one that I love, but its scooby doo which is kinda lame. Id prefer it be Cowboys or Austin related. Take a look at this and shoot me any ideas you have for something better:

https://www.jeepdecalstore.com/jl-jt-custom-designed-passenger-dashboard-decal-.html

https://www.jeepdecalstore.com/jl-jt-1941-mountain-dashboard-decal-.html

run-stick-bastards2-jpg.155781

With my dash being orange, I will probably go white for any decal I put on. I am also considering doing something for the little jeep emblem in the windshield, normally those are like "godzilla chasing the jeep" tho:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb2kptGrLEMsPWomIsfzc

Ive got a guy who can make it whatever we come up with, I am just looking for ideas!

Also ugly dash decals are ugly.  Is my other sticking point.

On 11/22/2021 at 12:41 PM, MKnight82 said:

I haven't owned a vehicle in over a year.  I live in the city so simple items I can just walk to a market or hit the many restaurants around us. When COVID hit my wife and I were like why do we own 2 vehicles?  So I sold mine and we kept hers. I've returned to the office (only 3 times a week) and she still works remotely so we've just stuck with the single vehicle. Even with a kid it hasn't been an issue. 

This is the dream.  Like...not having to own and operate as many cars is liberating, right?  That should be accessible to everyone, if they want.

Because quite frankly, i think most people do not actually like cars.  They simply like the fact that they are the only viable option for commuting and making a run to the shops.  Tolerate them accordingly, at great personal expense.

Replace those cars with genuinely good public transit, and the ability to just walk onto a light rail train for 8 minutes instead of spending 30 minutes in stop 'n go traffic in a car you don't even like, becomes pretty attractive?

On 11/22/2021 at 12:49 PM, MikeT14 said:

Agreed. I've had multiple Toyota's in my life, and rarely have issues/nothing major. Jeeps? lol. My brother's and friend's always seem to have something stupid wrong with them. 

Seems like Toyotas often keep themselves out of the frivolous issue market, but refusing to incorporate technologies or options they do not have fully pinned down.  But that's a good thing imo.  Their interiors are embarrassingly spartan and they lag way behind on features...but the big selling point, and the reliability reputation of Toyota as a whole at this point, really rests on the idea of only pushing toward new features when they can be reliably implemented.  And most new features are stupid and pointless anyway.

On 11/22/2021 at 12:50 PM, MikeT14 said:

Between me going to Ashland and her to Chester, we definitely need the two, otherwise I would love to do this. 

BUILD MORE TRAINS.

On 11/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, bigbadbuff said:

Recommendations for a performance vehicle that won’t break the bank?

I’n currently in an Alfa Romeo Stelvio. Love the design, love the drive, tech is a bit laggy. Had it for about a year now, thinking about other options.

What is "performance"?

Is it "tech", or is it actual "performance"?

On 11/23/2021 at 7:41 AM, bigbadbuff said:

Open to whatever. I prefer an SUV though. I work at a dealership, so i got the Alfa for $367 sign and drive lol, which i know isn’t going to happen for my next car. I drove a Q50 red sport which was cool, but is $700 a month. I really like the TLX type S but that is impossible to get your hands on. I’ve driven the Stinger, again which is cool, but not sure I’d want to pay that much for a Kia. 

Hesitating over the idea of paying big money for a Kia seems silly at this point.  I guess they're some of the only cars still built overseas when it comes to Pacific Imports.  Everything else from the traditional Pacific Toyota/Honda/Nissan cars are mostly built in North America now.  

But the idea of "performance" and "SUV" are diacritically opposed.  So...you've gotta make a decision there...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

If it's all looks, it's kind of a poser...even if it could do so much more.  If you don't need the offroad engineering of the Jeep, you could do up a Maverick with the same aesthetic, and it'd perform as well, or probably better in the role.  It'd be the more appropriate vehicle.

I know... I pointed this out about a 100 times. The only "extra" that I will use from the Jeep is taking the doors/top off. Which is really badarse; but outside of that they are basically the same functionality for me personally. Light towing, light camping/off roading, normal truck bed use (home depot dad).

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Seems like Toyotas often keep themselves out of the frivolous issue market, but refusing to incorporate technologies or options they do not have fully pinned down.  But that's a good thing imo.  Their interiors are embarrassingly spartan and they lag way behind on features...but the big selling point, and the reliability reputation of Toyota as a whole at this point, really rests on the idea of only pushing toward new features when they can be reliably implemented.  And most new features are stupid and pointless anyway.

Won't disagree with any of that. I don't have my car for luxury. It's to get me from Point A to Point B reliably, comfortably enough, and with enough amenities that it's not a chore. The interiors are exactly how you described, but not something I am bothered with. 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I know... I pointed this out about a 100 times. The only "extra" that I will use from the Jeep is taking the doors/top off. Which is really badarse; but outside of that they are basically the same functionality for me personally. Light towing, light camping/off roading, normal truck bed use (home depot dad).

There is one other productivity part with the jeep. Studies show woman are significantly more likely to match a guy with a jeep in his profile.

Edited by Matts4313

Alright - I am ready for the ridicule @Tugboat. I got my decal package installed. Now before you go to harsh - the "Ugly Truck" part will be replaced with "scrambler" in the future. I already have the decal made. But I am a very sarcastic person and when my kids told me the Gladiator was the most ugly truck theyve ever seen - - I leaned in to it. So here we go:

20211202-153441.jpg

20211202-155803.jpg

20211202-155838.jpg

20211202-153336.jpg

• Like 1