The Car Thread

Dome

My brother in law is finishing up automotive school soon. He and I want to get a project car going, the idea is I fund the build and he teaches me how to do everything. He's got the tools and know how, I've got an empty garage and want to learn some stuff without going to school for it.

We've narrowed it down to a few choices.

• Crown Vic Police Interceptor, cause a Maurader is out of our price range. These things are so much fun to drive, would be a really fun autocrosser for non-competitors.
  • Lifted Subaru Snow machine, this one could already be in the works w/ my current commuter. 
  • Toyota wheeler, but these things are already overdone around here.
  • Mazda Miata for auto-x
  • Baja Bug
  • Muscle truck

We want to spend 2-3k on a vehicle and 5-6k overall on the project. Obviously the Subaru would be much cheaper, cause I already own it.

2 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

And the dealership basically told him "they are fast but they arent meant to be driven hard".

This is why I want a Crown Vic PI. They're designed to take abuse. 

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

This is why I want a Crown Vic PI. They're designed to take abuse. 

The other day by the Target by 164th at the light and old lady maybe 70 in a Crown Vic pulls up and blows off the line haaaarrrddd lol, like 0-60 in 5 seconds flat,   i pull up to it and its got Cobra and 5.0 badges all over it. Probably super charged with 15,000 in cooling systems and forged engine internals lol. See her pull into Panera haha. 

4 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Has anybody ever owned a Prius?

No. Ol'Billy In The Bag aka Freckle Face aka Billy Red has and he loved that thing, it was his daily driver forever. I couldn't wrap my head around why hes the #1-#3 comedian(my #1) in the world anbd hes driving a Prius everywhere. Like whats going on here?

But Bill Burr is a smart man and rumor is extremely good/tight with his money, and your getting so much more for your buck in mileage with a hybrid, its not even close, you can drive so much further. Specially him hes driving alll over the place, living in LA and driving to gigs on the west coast.  

Example it cost me about 115-130 bucks in gas to comfortable drive from Portland to LA right now

In a Prius or a hybrid... cost you about 50-60 bucks to make that same trip. Its almost cut exactly in half. Which is really awesome. Kinda opens the map to you , cause suddenly driving  all these places doesnt cost you that much. 

29 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

No. Ol'Billy In The Bag aka Freckle Face aka Billy Red has and he loved that thing, it was his daily driver forever. I couldn't wrap my head around why hes the #1-#3 comedian(my #1) in the world anbd hes driving a Prius everywhere. Like whats going on here?

But Bill Burr is a smart man and rumor is extremely good/tight with his money, and your getting so much more for your buck in mileage with a hybrid, its not even close, you can drive so much further. Specially him hes driving alll over the place, living in LA and driving to gigs on the west coast.  

Example it cost me about 115-130 bucks in gas to comfortable drive from Portland to LA right now

In a Prius or a hybrid... cost you about 50-60 bucks to make that same trip. Its almost cut exactly in half. Which is really awesome. Kinda opens the map to you , cause suddenly driving  all these places doesnt cost you that much. 

I'm looking for something utilitarian and it seems right up my alley. I don't need a truck, I don't need a sports car. I want something reliable that requires minimal upkeep.

Looking around locally, there are very few used Pri-ii for sale. Seems like a good sign?