The Car Thread

Dome

On 4/10/2019 at 6:44 AM, skywlker32 said:

Yes, 100%. The worst thing is when the salesman is like, "while you're here, let's go look at some other cars in your price range" before seeing the car you want to see. It's a waste of time and is basically telling your customer that they don't actually know what they want (despite clearly having it narrowed down already).

The guy we’ve bought our last 3 cars from (all used) has the best website around and his inventory turns over the fastest. He doesn’t approach you when you enter the lot cause he knows if you want the car you’re gonna come to him. Super low pressure, website with dozens of pics of each car, and carfax printed and folded in each glove compartment. 

That’s really all you need to do for used cars I think. Good inventory, easy access to that inventory online, and list everything about the car you know. I see used car lots all the time that will post one picture of a used car, no mileage, no engine specs, nothing. I’ve never visited one of those lots.

Edited by Dome

18 minutes ago, Dome said:

The guy we’ve bought our last 3 cars from (all used) has the best website around and his inventory turns over the fastest. He doesn’t approach you when you enter the lot cause he knows if you want the car you’re gonna come to him. Super low pressure, website with dozens of pics of each car, and carfax printed and folded in each glove compartment. 

That’s really all you need to do for used cars I think. Good inventory, easy access to that inventory online, and list everything about the car you know. I see used car lots all the time that will post one picture of a used car, no mileage, no engine specs, nothing. I’ve never visited one of those lots.

Agreed. Good detailed info on your car selection is probably the best. Also, don't cheap out on photos of the cars. Either get a good camera and learn to take good pictures of the cars (representative, not filtered to hide dents) or have someone available that can do that for you.

Just now, skywlker32 said:

Agreed. Good detailed info on your car selection is probably the best. Also, don't cheap out on photos of the cars. Either get a good camera and learn to take good pictures of the cars (representative, not filtered to hide dents) or have someone available that can do that for you.

Yeah the lot we’ve gone to the last few years takes 360 of the outside and pretty much 360 of the interior. You pretty much know whether or not you want to buy it by the time you get down there, assuming there’s nothing weird you can’t detect in photos. 

I don’t need to see another car that’s nothing like the one I’m interested in other than the price tag, I don’t need to “just take it for a spin, even if you don’t want to buy it” and I certainly don’t need to go to your other lot because I already checked their inventory and they’ve got exactly jack ****.

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Yeah the lot we’ve gone to the last few years takes 360 of the outside and pretty much 360 of the interior. You pretty much know whether or not you want to buy it by the time you get down there, assuming there’s nothing weird you can’t detect in photos. 

I don’t need to see another car that’s nothing like the one I’m interested in other than the price tag, I don’t need to “just take it for a spin, even if you don’t want to buy it” and I certainly don’t need to go to your other lot because I already checked their inventory and they’ve got exactly jack ****.

I went into one showroom looking for all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. The first thing the salesman did was walk me to a sports car. I walked straight out.

Looking for a used car around the $11k mark. Had my eye on a couple of used 2016 Sonatas, not looking for an SUV, just something to run another 150k miles before I have to switch over.

Any suggestions?

Additionally, how effective are the backup cameras that you can get installed after-market?

On 4/20/2019 at 7:02 PM, skywindO2 said:

What's the best way to clean salt stains out of my car's carpet floor? I've read about using a 50/50 water/vinegar mixture, anyone have any experience with that?

acetic acid won't do much for dissolving the salt, but it is a decent cleaner for general dirt/stains. 

I'd say use hot water to dissolve the salt, rinse out the salt water, then clean like normal with vinegar.

On 12/04/2019 at 8:06 AM, Dome said:

Most of that is great.  It's the way to move a used car for sure.

But for me, that's not gonna stop me from wanting to get all up in it's guts first.  A bunch of pictures, mileage rundown, accurate model description...that's absolutely make or break in getting people in the door...but giving people access to just crawl around look everywhere, giving them space...but be available to answer questions...that's the best used car salesman.

At the end of the day though...the car is the car.  If it's not the right car in the right shape, or not at the right price...it doesn't matter.

Some people don't really know what they're looking for though.  It's bizarre to me, in this day and age...but it's a thing.  In certain econobox market segments, i kinda understand it.  Those people are susceptible.

On 4/22/2019 at 7:48 AM, Heimdallr said:

I've read about using a 50/50 water/vinegar mixture

On 4/22/2019 at 7:48 AM, Heimdallr said:

I'd say use hot water to dissolve the salt, rinse out the salt water, then clean like normal with vinegar

Why would you do anything to make your car smell like vinegar? Sure you might get the stains out, but then you have to get rid of the car because it smells like that. 

Does anyone have any experience with a Prius battery? Mine is a 04 has 155K and the battery is done-zo. The replacement cost is crazy high, but I just found something about restoration. It seems like the battery isn't just one chunk of machinery but 28 modules. There is a company in Missouri that will come out and replace the modules. It says often it isn't the whole battery that dies but just some of the mods. It seems like a good deal, but is it too good to be true? 

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Does anyone have any experience with a Prius battery? Mine is a 04 has 155K and the battery is done-zo. The replacement cost is crazy high, but I just found something about restoration. It seems like the battery isn't just one chunk of machinery but 28 modules. There is a company in Missouri that will come out and replace the modules. It says often it isn't the whole battery that dies but just some of the mods. It seems like a good deal, but is it too good to be true? 

It is likely that it isn't the whole battery that has aged beyond repair, but the other modules will likely be not far behind at 155K.

9 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

It is likely that it isn't the whole battery that has aged beyond repair, but the other modules will likely be not far behind at 155K.

Hmmm well that is certainly not what I wanted to hear. Replacement battery will probably run my at least $2500 and they don't have much of a warranty. Would you recommend just getting a new prius?