The Car Thread

Dome

I'm gonna openly admit I don't know squat about cars to preface this, but here goes.

I've got a 2012 Chrysler 200 that needed a brake job pretty badly. I noticed squealing whenever I hit the brakes. I probably let it go for too long, but I waited roughly 2 weeks after I noticed to get them replaced. The day before she was set to go under the knife, my ABS Light and Traction Control light kicked on. I figured it would go away after I got them replaced.

Not the case. I can stop and everything perfectly, but the brake place said that it might be a sensor or something but didn't elaborate or help. Is this an easily fixable issue?

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I'm gonna openly admit I don't know squat about cars to preface this, but here goes.

I've got a 2012 Chrysler 200 that needed a brake job pretty badly. I noticed squealing whenever I hit the brakes. I probably let it go for too long, but I waited roughly 2 weeks after I noticed to get them replaced. The day before she was set to go under the knife, my ABS Light and Traction Control light kicked on. I figured it would go away after I got them replaced.

Not the case. I can stop and everything perfectly, but the brake place said that it might be a sensor or something but didn't elaborate or help. Is this an easily fixable issue?

It could be a code that’s stuck on for right now even if there are no issues. Hard to say.

Try disconnecting your battery for a bit, this might reset the code.

You can take it to a place like Autozone and see if their computer can reset the code.

Some codes just need time and they’ll go away on their own, I had an evap code come on when my gas cap came loose. Once I tightened it I had to drive a couple hundred miles before the light turned off again.

If none of that works it could be a dirty sensor that just needs cleaned, or a sensor that needs replaced.

Take it to another brake place for a diagnostics and a free quote and see if they can tell you exactly what it is 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 7:41 PM, Dome said:

It could be a code that’s stuck on for right now even if there are no issues. Hard to say.

Try disconnecting your battery for a bit, this might reset the code.

You can take it to a place like Autozone and see if their computer can reset the code.

Some codes just need time and they’ll go away on their own, I had an evap code come on when my gas cap came loose. Once I tightened it I had to drive a couple hundred miles before the light turned off again.

If none of that works it could be a dirty sensor that just needs cleaned, or a sensor that needs replaced.

Take it to another brake place for a diagnostics and a free quote and see if they can tell you exactly what it is 

You can also buy an OBD2 scanner and check it yourself.  They’re not expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/OBD2-Scanner-OBDII-Code-Reader/dp/B011Q18D14 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

What do you guys think of a 2016 BMW 428i Gran Coupe M Sport? Was debating getting a CPO. 

If you’re planning on driving it a lot, or keeping it a long time, I’d think about something not European. 

If given the choice again, and as much bad I used to love my car, I wouldn’t go German again. As soon as I hit 100k, everything other than the engine started breaking. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

If you’re planning on driving it a lot, or keeping it a long time, I’d think about something not European. 

If given the choice again, and as much bad I used to love my car, I wouldn’t go German again. As soon as I hit 100k, everything other than the engine started breaking. 

Yikes. I have a ‘17 Optima right now that I bought new. Put 45k on it so far and literally not one issue yet. Can probably drive this thing to 300k if I want. I’ve always bought Asian cars for their reliability. However, really want to own a luxury car once in my life and I absolutely love the BMW 4 and 5 series. My dream car. 

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yikes. I have a ‘17 Optima right now that I bought new. Put 45k on it so far and literally not one issue yet. Can probably drive this thing to 300k if I want. I’ve always bought Asian cars for their reliability. However, really want to own a luxury car once in my life and I absolutely love the BMW 4 and 5 series. My dream car. 

BMW's are really nice cars that are fun to drive, and have engines that go for a very long time. The problems you run into with BMW/MB/VW is that the little stuff goes wrong after a while. I don't want to scare anybody away from their dream car, but It's something to consider.

I was way off on my guess for what a 428i would cost, so it's not nearly as bad at the range I saw for them. 328i's and 428i's are usually available at rental car places. If you want to see what it would be like for a few days/week, go rent one. It's going to be smaller than your Optima, so you might want to make sure you can live with it.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2019 at 10:49 AM, MrDrew said:

BMW's are really nice cars that are fun to drive, and have engines that go for a very long time. The problems you run into with BMW/MB/VW is that the little stuff goes wrong after a while. I don't want to scare anybody away from their dream car, but It's something to consider.

I was way off on my guess for what a 428i would cost, so it's not nearly as bad at the range I saw for them. 328i's and 428i's are usually available at rental car places. If you want to see what it would be like for a few days/week, go rent one. It's going to be smaller than your Optima, so you might want to make sure you can live with it.

German cars honestly aren't what they used to be.  They're built way cheaper, with way more corners cut than they used to while they were building up their "reputation".

They're still very nice, but i wouldn't trust the reliability of any of them any further than i could throw the warranty.  That goes for literally every new vehicle though.  It's an epidemic that crosses continents.  New cars just are not built like old cars.  They're built to be flawless for the length of the first owner and enough to entice that second owner 3 years later.  Then basically implode into a series of out of pocket "maintenance" items and random electrical gremlins.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:48 PM, MrDrew said:

I don't live in Sacramento, but i've always conducted these kinds of things behind closed garage doors.  I don't want to look like the guy down the street with three cars on blocks (almost permanently) with random car bits scattered around the lawn.

Kind of sucks if you don't have a garage...but i guess the rules are the rules.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 5:02 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Got to drive a friend’s Model S Tesla today. They are so cool. If I lived in the US, that’d be the car. The future is wild. 

What the heck is actually cool about Tesla's though?  If you want a car they're pretty boring at that and miss half the point of what makes a car fun.

If you just want to get to work super efficiently, which is also extremely cool...individual motor vehicles are the least cool thing possible, no matter how efficient they are.  Build more public transit.  It'll beat individual cars in every way, on every point if it's properly invested in.  Rather than throwing absurd government subsidies at bandaids for a problem of poor urban planning and complete infrastructure decay because Musky man is an expert snake oil salesman.

On 03/07/2019 at 9:48 PM, MrDrew said:

Sensationalist headline.  Written by somebody who just read a bylaw for the first time probably.

Work on your own car all you want, even if you live in Sacramento.  If you hit a job that's big enough to trigger the realm of "tools not usually found in a household"...you probably don't want to be doing that job in your driveway anyway.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 8:09 AM, theJ said:

I don't live in Sacramento, but i've always conducted these kinds of things behind closed garage doors.  I don't want to look like the guy down the street with three cars on blocks (almost permanently) with random car bits scattered around the lawn.

Yeah I don’t mind laws like this for this exact reason.

Im all for folks maintaining their own vehicles or turning a wrench as a hobby, but no one wants to live next to some amateur mechanic with 3 cars waiting to be fixed in his driveway or some rustbucket sitting on blocks for 3 months.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I don’t mind laws like this for this exact reason.

Im all for folks maintaining their own vehicles or turning a wrench as a hobby, but no one wants to live next to some amateur mechanic with 3 cars waiting to be fixed in his driveway or some rustbucket sitting on blocks for 3 months.

I get that, but there are people that can do the work on their car in the garage without making a mess out of the neighborhood. I don’t think that somebody working on their car, or restoring one, in their garage should be able to be fined if they open the door and somebody sees it. That’s HOA garbage

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I get that, but there are people that can do the work on their car in the garage without making a mess out of the neighborhood. I don’t think that somebody working on their car, or restoring one, in their garage should be able to be fined if they open the door and somebody sees it. That’s HOA garbage

I don’t disagree with you there, and I don’t think the garage bit is necessary, but I’m assuming there’s more to the story for the guy who was fined than just minding his own business turning a wrench.

Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t imagine police wasting their time on a guy who keeps his residence reasonably well maintained, auto stuff in the garage and isn’t waking the dead with engine/exhaust noise.

Worst case scenario just crack the garage for a breeze instead of opening it up and no one is any wiser.

I just can’t see this being aimed at old guys trying to escape their wives and drink a beer while tinkering with their Chavelle.