The Car Thread

Dome

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Rivian R1T, FTW:

https://rivian.com/r1t/

Yeah.  I hate the guys who are financially backing a lot of this Rivian stuff, but they seem like they've spent far more time and effort legitimately trying to figure out what a "good" and "useful" electronic truck would look like.  It's an actually well thought out conception of an "Electric Truck".  Rather than a silly promo sideshow novelty.

The one that's really interesting to me though, is how the Electric F-150 is gonna work out.  From the early "promo" stuff, combined with some rumors...it kinda looks like they just took a regular F-150 and bolted something like a Rivian "skateboard" platform to the underbody .  Which would be interesting, because it would mean a body that isn't necessarily optimized to the platform...but is still super light, extremely familiar to basically everyone...and due to production scale, extremely cheap to produce.  I think that might be the winning ticket.

But i do think the Rivian is pretty promising.  Just...in a different market probably.  For that niche truck buyer in SoCal or whatever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, gearheads, can someone identify this for me?

https://imgur.com/a/NUYoTtT

Been trying to figure it out. I'm guessing fuel tank?? This is the back of the car. There's a crazy loud rattling noise right now. Had no idea from where but I put it up on a ramp yesterday and started banging around and this seems to be the culprit. Trying to figure out wtf it could be before I take it in

Edit: Should probably note it's a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback. Initially I thought it was the spare tire holder but that's not it

Edited by JTagg7754

25 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Been trying to figure it out. I'm guessing fuel tank?? This is the back of the car. There's a crazy loud rattling noise right now. Had no idea from where but I put it up on a ramp yesterday and started banging around and this seems to be the culprit. Trying to figure out wtf it could be before I take it in

Edit: Should probably note it's a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback. Initially I thought it was the spare tire holder but that's not it

When you poke a hole in it, does gas leak out?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'm the furthest thing from a Mazda expert, but i would say pretty confidently that's a trunk well, where a spare tire might dwell.

All the hoses and pipes go to the fuel tank presumably.  The thing to the picture right of the circle.  Pretty sure most manufacturers have shied away from putting fuel tanks as far back as your circled trunk well, since the Ford Pinto basically blew up (in a bad way, when crashed into from behind).  All the shiny dragon looking stuff is the heat shielding, to help protect your fuel tank from the heat of your exhaust running through it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm the furthest thing from a Mazda expert, but i would say pretty confidently that's a trunk well, where a spare tire might dwell.

All the hoses and pipes go to the fuel tank presumably.  The thing to the picture right of the circle.  Pretty sure most manufacturers have shied away from putting fuel tanks as far back as your circled trunk well, since the Ford Pinto basically blew up (in a bad way, when crashed into from behind).  All the shiny dragon looking stuff is the heat shielding, to help protect your fuel tank from the heat of your exhaust running through it.

Thanks for responding

Edit: guess I didn't say that here, only to my wife when discussing it lol. But yeah, that was my initial thought. Just glad it's not the fuel tank, or at least you think. That's relieving

Edit edit: Just did another round of looking here at the office and it seems it might be the bracket that's acting as support for this so seemingly nothing internal. Hoping it's as simple as replacing the bracket.

Edited by JTagg7754

For road trips, do you guys get a rental, or take your own car? 

Pros - not putting extra mileage on my car (in my case 800 KM total) over the course of 2 days, not having to drive that mileage over all the snow/salt on the roads so less wear and tear. 

Cons - I'm used to my own car and love it, have to return this rental. Rental will also cost $146 extra ($106 for car, $40 for insurance from my regular provider)

I ultimately chose the rental this time around and usually do for long road trips, shorter i take my own car (like 2 hours - 200 KM)

Edited by 49ersfan

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Pros - not putting extra mileage on my car (in my case 800 KM total) over the course of 2 days, not having to drive that mileage over all the snow/salt on the roads so less wear and tear. 

Cons - I'm used to my own car and love it, have to return this rental. Rental will also cost $146 extra ($106 for car, $40 for insurance from my regular provider)

I ultimately chose the rental this time around and usually do for long road trips, shorter i take my own car (like 2 hours - 200 KM)

My truck.

I don’t worry about mileage as I work from home so I don’t drive a ton to begin with.  

I have my truck just how I want it, emergency gear, good tires, I know it’s been well maintained, etc.  

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Your insurance doesn't cover rentals?? I have never paid for extra insurance for rentals.

In your situation, I'd do the rental and have before.