The Car Thread

Dome

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I'll be that guy then...... 

Have you looked at minivans?  There's a reason they're so popular.  If you need a full 3 rows where people larger than a small child may need to sit, and can't afford/don't want a full size SUV, they really are a great option.

You can get an Odyssey that'll get 20+ mpg, seat 6 COMFORTABLY, and you will be able to get a very well equipped model under 35k.

That was my whole reason of looking at the 3rd row SUV, was to avoid the Min Van. You're right though, options are looking better for a new car in the min van segment though now...

I'll probably just end up waiting another year or so and see what market has to offer then. Like I stated previously, I really like the Mitsubishi Outlander and what it offers vs. price-point. I've had a  Mitsubishi model in the past too (almost 10 years) for long periods of time w/ no major issues. I really just am holding out on that one because I know they're going to be unveiling the redesign in 2019 and I'm hoping the upgrade the interior offerings...

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

They just re-designed them in 2013. Then redid the front end in 2016. But ok. whatever.

That's my point. They've done minimal changes. If you look at a pic of a 2014 Pathfinder front end vs. a 2017 they look pretty similar...

Long story short, color me not a fan. Appreciate the suggestion though, as it does fall into me segment...

50 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

That was my whole reason of looking at the 3rd row SUV, was to avoid the Min Van. You're right though, options are looking better for a new car in the min van segment though now...

Oh I know lol, I was in your same boat before, you're looking for a unicorn.

SUV's that are big enough to be a truly functional 6+ person vehicle are both expensive and thirsty. Ones that are 35k and under are on the smaller side.

Best of luck though.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 2:52 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox currently, but looking to get a 3rd row SUV. I've looked through everything and nothing is really appealing to my eye currently. I really like the value of the Mitsubishi Outlander, but they're gonna do a redesign in 2019 and some of the interior on the current one looks like it's from early 2000's...

I feel like you're using the description "early 2000s interior" as a negative.  Which is weird.  Interiors that are actually good are timeless.  Also...In fact, some of the best interiors of all time are from that period in history.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like you're using the description "early 2000s interior" as a negative.  Which is weird.  Interiors that are actually good are timeless.  Also...In fact, some of the best interiors of all time are from that period in history.

I'm talking more trying to blend current technology and look, but lacking in certain areas. For example they have the updated touchscreen and aluminum accents, but still have the cheap plastic inserts in the doors as a cover to the window/locks. Most manufacturers use soft touch materials now and rightfully so, as they're better quality and more aesthetically pleasing. Just small things like that which show a lack of detail...

Plus, while interiors from that time period are nice and we're top of the line then, it's simply not the case now. People don't look to buy a new model year car with technology, features and materials that are outdated...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 3:52 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox currently, but looking to get a 3rd row SUV. I've looked through everything and nothing is really appealing to my eye currently. I really like the value of the Mitsubishi Outlander, but they're gonna do a redesign in 2019 and some of the interior on the current one looks like it's from early 2000's...

Explorer has a 3rd row. I like the Explorer Sport the best.

Ford-Explorer-Sport.jpeg

If you have enough kids to need a 3rd row, don't buy one of these overgrown cars that people are calling "SUV's". They are pretty useless unless you are carrying 2-3 people. They don't have space to carry anything if you have the 3rd row up, you can't take them anywhere that a car couldn't go, and you pay a huge premium for it to be heavier/taller/get worse MPG that the car it's base off of. 

If you have 3+ kids, a van is the way to go. Once you try to get a kid in the joke of a 3rd row of a crossover, you'll regret your purchase. A new Kia Sedona comes with everything, is priced pretty cheap, and has an outstanding warranty. If you actually need AWD, the Toyota Sienna is the option. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2017 at 7:47 AM, MrDrew said:

If you have enough kids to need a 3rd row, don't buy one of these overgrown cars that people are calling "SUV's". They are pretty useless unless you are carrying 2-3 people. They don't have space to carry anything if you have the 3rd row up, you can't take them anywhere that a car couldn't go, and you pay a huge premium for it to be heavier/taller/get worse MPG that the car it's base off of. 

If you have 3+ kids, a van is the way to go. Once you try to get a kid in the joke of a 3rd row of a crossover, you'll regret your purchase. A new Kia Sedona comes with everything, is priced pretty cheap, and has an outstanding warranty. If you actually need AWD, the Toyota Sienna is the option. 

True.  They're basically just less convenient, more cumbersome minivans with "rawr tough styling" that still looks doofy anyway.

On November 5, 2017 at 9:47 AM, MrDrew said:

Pretty sure you've never been in a Suburban/Expedition/Armada/etc.

Adults fit comfortably in the second row, children through school age in the 3rd with tons of space even with the 3rd row up.

Not sure where you're taking your car, but it won't be the same places you can take a vehicle with a transfers case and 10 inches of ground clearance.

Also, let's see how that minivan or sedan tows a boat, camper, toy hauler....you get the idea.

Lastly, if you just mean "crossover" and not SUV, you may want to think again.  My 82 year old father thought the same way you did until he turned 80.  All of a sudden getting in and out of cars that have a seating position lower to the ground wasn't so easy and he traded the sedan in for a crossover.

Just because you don't see the value doesn't mean it isn't there.