The Car Thread

Dome

4 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Given all combustion engines harm the environment why the negativity towards crossovers?

They're essentially cars with 500-1000 extra pounds for no reason other than looks. Most of the engines are the same as the car platform they're built on, resulting in worse fuel economy because of the added weight. They're far less aerodynamic than the cars they're based off of, so worse fuel economy. The extra weight, and bad aerodynamics don't really serve a purpose other than making people feel like they're sitting high. If it helps, I feel the same about people that buy big trucks for commuter cars, and lift them without ever taking into places they need the clearance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

They're essentially cars with 500-1000 extra pounds for no reason other than looks. Most of the engines are the same as the car platform they're built on, resulting in worse fuel economy because of the added weight. They're far less aerodynamic than the cars they're based off of, so worse fuel economy. The extra weight, and bad aerodynamics don't really serve a purpose other than making people feel like they're sitting high. If it helps, I feel the same about people that buy big trucks for commuter cars, and lift them without ever taking into places they need the clearance. 

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I see. Thanks for replying.

question...

I was driving today and my car started to slide on ice. My first reaction was to slam on the breaks and pull up on the e-brake. I dont know why I pulled on the e-brake it was just a reaction of fear to not hit a park car. Afterwards my e-brake handle was loose and no longer stiff. It wasnt really loose but it was not longer stiff like it was before. The car drove just fine afterwards and had no issues breaking but why would it be loosie? its a 2013 accord

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

question...

I was driving today and my car started to slide on ice. My first reaction was to slam on the breaks and pull up on the e-brake. I dont know why I pulled on the e-brake it was just a reaction of fear to not hit a park car. Afterwards my e-brake handle was loose and no longer stiff. It wasnt really loose but it was not longer stiff like it was before. The car drove just fine afterwards and had no issues breaking but why would it be loosie? its a 2013 accord

You’re just too muscley ya big stud.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, buno67 said:

question...

Could be you put too much force on the cable, causing it to need to be readjusted.

Here's a video on how to do that.

On 12/10/2017 at 12:49 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Overextending whose budget?  Some people can actually afford crossovers. Why is this the manufacturers responsibility? Does this same horrific logic apply to everything or just crossovers? 

Environmentally irresponsible? Many crossovers have 4 and 6 cylinder engines, just like minivans. What vehicles are you referring to that are gas guzzlers in the crossover segment?

What data are you using for reliability/durability here?  I feel like there are plenty of high milage CRV's and Foresters on the road...

The CR-V gets 28 city/34 highway and starts at $24K.  There are 4 10+ year-old CR-Vs on Autotrader within 25 miles of me (in the rust belt) with over 200K miles going for over $5K.

I call BS on that, and I don't particularly like the CR-V despite being a huge Honda honk.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 1:39 PM, Heimdallr said:

Why are so few sedans available with AWD? Is it that much harder / more expensive to add in AWD? 

The market dictates what the manufacturers offer, for the most part. Most consumers don't want to pay for 2 more drive wheels for two main reasons besides initial cost.  Maintenance is more costly as there are more moving parts in the system, and economy is slightly worse as the extra power required to drive the extra wheels and pull the extra weight requires extra fuel.

9 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

The CR-V gets 28 city/34 highway and starts at $24K.  There are 4 10+ year-old CR-Vs on Autotrader within 25 miles of me (in the rust belt) with over 200K miles going for over $5K.

I call BS on that, and I don't particularly like the CR-V despite being a huge Honda honk.

So you don't think if the CR-V was 500lbs lighter, lower, and had better aerodynamics it wouldn't get better gas mileage, and last longer? See the Civic, the car it's based off of. 

24 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

So you don't think if the CR-V was 500lbs lighter, lower, and had better aerodynamics it wouldn't get better gas mileage, and last longer? See the Civic, the car it's based off of. 

It would.

You'd also be giving up passenger space, cargo space, significant flexibility as far as the cargo you can carry, the AWD option, ease of managing child seats, etc.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It would.

You'd also be giving up passenger space, cargo space, significant flexibility as far as the cargo you can carry, the AWD option, ease of managing child seats, etc.

There's actually more legroom in a Civic...

There is slightly more interior space in a CR-V, but it's not much. If they still made a Civic wagon, it wouldn't be a comparison. The wagon would have more. People want to sit high, so they give up a lot of space, and gas mileage to do so. 

If you want a better comparison, go look at the VW Jetta Sportwagon vs the Tiguan. Sam chassis, same engine. 5 MPG better in the Jetta, and more room. 

16 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

There's actually more legroom in a Civic...

There is slightly more interior space in a CR-V, but it's not much. If they still made a Civic wagon, it wouldn't be a comparison. The wagon would have more. People want to sit high, so they give up a lot of space, and gas mileage to do so. 

If you want a better comparison, go look at the VW Jetta Sportwagon vs the Tiguan. Sam chassis, same engine. 5 MPG better in the Jetta, and more room. 

There's more to space than legroom. Trying to haul every day stuff in a crossover vs a sedan isn't even comparable, the crossover has more usable room.

Awd as well...

As far as sitting position, I find sitting more upright to be far more comfortable, especially for longer trips, than the seating position of a car.  What's that worth?  Quite a bit to me personally.

We're back to this idea that because YOU don't see the value of it, the value doesn't exist.

And who the hell wants to drive a Jetta wagon? 

On 12/12/2017 at 8:24 PM, buno67 said:

question...

The  last thing you should do when you are sliding on ice is hit the brakes. You need to keep the wheels rolling