The Car Thread

Dome

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Looks cool to me. Let me know when you’re out of town and I can sneak on and borrow it.

I’ll leave no less than 1/8 tank of fuel.

Its an awesome boat - when I say its "only okay" I meant for full time living. It will be amazing for my test run, but if I ever do decided to make the move, I dont think the boat is big enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Its an awesome boat - when I say its "only okay" I meant for full time living. It will be amazing for my test run, but if I ever do decided to make the move, I dont think the boat is big enough. 

I hear ya.

my mom and stepdad had a couple 40+ footers and they’re cool for weekend trips but get cramped for longer stays.  Obviously I’m talking 5-6 people.

1-3 would be fine for extended stays.

imagine having a mcclaren, considering buying a tesla, but not even the best tesla - the economical version that is like 25% of the cost of the better version, and then being like - nah, ima get a rolls instead

Rolls are great if you have a driver. If you are going to drive yourself, idk

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I hear ya.

my mom and stepdad had a couple 40+ footers and they’re cool for weekend trips but get cramped for longer stays.  Obviously I’m talking 5-6 people.

1-3 would be fine for extended stays.

It all depends on the layout, but you are mostly right. The Carver yachts (the one that I want) is built for long stays even at 35-40 ft. This is their 37ft

carver-2015-c37-hero_1500.jpg

carver-yachts-c37-3_800x0w.jpg

2015-c37-fwd-stateroom-3988_1170x780.jpg

^^^^^ For me, that would be more than enough space for myself + dog + rando female companionship. ^^^ 

And it has a second bedroom I would likely turn into an office. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It all depends on the layout, but you are mostly right. The Carver yachts (the one that I want) is built for long stays even at 35-40 ft. This is their 37ft

carver-2015-c37-hero_1500.jpg

carver-yachts-c37-3_800x0w.jpg

2015-c37-fwd-stateroom-3988_1170x780.jpg

^^^^^ For me, that would be more than enough space for myself + dog + rando female companionship. ^^^ 

And it has a second bedroom I would likely turn into an office. 

I’m lightweight jealous.  Do it man, looks like a fun adventure.

• Like 1

If you live on a boat, do you need a diesel generator running 24/7 for power (unless you are in the marina)? And I assume marinas have hookups for water and sewage? How much does a marina slip cost per month? 

I love the idea of boat living but have never looked into the practicality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

If you live on a boat, do you need a diesel generator running 24/7 for power (unless you are in the marina)? And I assume marinas have hookups for water and sewage? How much does a marina slip cost per month? 

I love the idea of boat living but have never looked into the practicality. 

There are a lot of ways to do it depending on type of boat and the water you are living on. For example a liveable sailboat on the atlantic is entirely different than a houseboat in the ozarks. But these are the major factors:

Are you living at a slip or are you living on anchor.

If a slip, will the harbor master allow you to be there 24/7? Do they provide water/electricity/sewage (pump outs)/cable or internet?

If you are living at anchor do you use solar? Where do you pump out sewage and fill up your fresh water/fuel? Etc.

As for marina slip cost - the good ones here in Austin are on lake travis, they cost about ~$700/mo and include your water/power/sewage/internet. Some of them even have community centers with gyms and what not.  The problem is they are so incredibly rare that getting one is impossible unless you buy a boat that is already in one. 

In other areas that have much more water availability, a slip is ~$250-500/mo. 

EDIT - And you only run the generator when you are not at the slip and the boats engine is off. For most people that would be pretty rare. 

Edited by Matts4313

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

We have a rich guy on the forum 😀

I like the Wraith but the Rolls Royce Ghost has always been my ultimate dream car. Super classy looking inside and out, with a slight sporty feel to it compared to the original. 

I’m not as big of a fan of the Ghost because it’s too big. 

honeslty, I’m not even that big of a fan of Rolls Royce in general. I was gonna buy a Gwagon but my cousin beat me to the punch. 

but lately the Wraith has me feeling some type of way and I think I want it 

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You should hire me to be your financial advisor. My first order of business - why are we putting hundreds of thousands into an asset thats going to depreciate so rapidly? 

Great point. I love cars. That’s kind of my guilty pleasure. 

however I don’t go on a buying spree even though it may seem that way. 

I also own properties which in turn pay for the vehicles I end up buying 

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

My purpose for a boat is unique though. I plan on retiring to a boat one day. This is my test run since my kids are older and stay primarily with mom. I am buying a ~30 footer at a yacht club that allows liveaboards. I am going to attempt to live there at least part time for the next few months to see if I like it. 

Eventually I want to get a ~40' yacht that sleeps at least 6, but the boat I want is a few hundred grand =(. 

Im 36, so if I can semi retire and live on a lake, I am going to do it, haha. 

Actually, you should hire me as your FA 

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

You didn't get anything after you asked about the Tesla Model 3 last year? 

That McLaren is starting to rack up miles as a daily driver...

As far as me... I found my 4th Rolls Royce was probably my favorite Rolls Royce. So, get three, prepared to be disappointed, then get your fourth and enjoy.

I ended up buying a model 3 actually a while back. That’s been my daily driver lol 

no way I’d daily the Mac

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

You didn't get anything after you asked about the Tesla Model 3 last year? 

That McLaren is starting to rack up miles as a daily driver...

As far as me... I found my 4th Rolls Royce was probably my favorite Rolls Royce. So, get three, prepared to be disappointed, then get your fourth and enjoy.

Lol don’t think I can do 4. What disappointed you about the first three? 

what kind of Rolls did you have?

How was the reliability?

How was maintenance? 

11 hours ago, N4L said:

imagine having a mcclaren, considering buying a tesla, but not even the best tesla - the economical version that is like 25% of the cost of the better version, and then being like - nah, ima get a rolls instead

Rolls are great if you have a driver. If you are going to drive yourself, idk

Lol I ended up getting the Tesla as well but I want the Rolls as a luxury complement to the sportiness of the McLaren