The Car Thread

Dome

On 10/10/2021 at 8:50 AM, bigbadbuff said:

You put Nissan on a Honda and Toyota level? Interesting. I mean cost of repairs are very low sure, but idk i don’t see it.

100% agree on the Hyundai/Kia aspect though. I think Kia is the best bang for your buck in the current market. The Forte is awesome for a budget, cheap lease, the K5 is incredible, the Sorento is awesome and the Telluride is the hottest selling SUV in the country. What Kia has become is actually crazy lol. I love their lineup. The Sportage is the only one that hasn’t gotten an update yet and that should be coming next year.

yes. I do. The three big japanese brands. Nissan has always been on the same caliber as Toyota and Honda and has been around just as long. This idea that Nissan isn't a good brand because they aren't as famous as Toyota and Honda is ridiculous when their reliability ratings have been right there with them the whole time.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:47 AM, bigbadbuff said:

Tiguan >Rogue and i don’t think it’s particularly close tbqh 

I've seen quite a few VW's set themselves on fire. I don't like VW or Audi or anything VW does. They are not super reliable, and they're stupid expensive to fix. As my old used car manager used to say, "Never buy a german, only ever rent or lease one."

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, scar988 said:

yes. I do. The three big japanese brands. Nissan has always been on the same caliber as Toyota and Honda and has been around just as long. This idea that Nissan isn't a good brand because they aren't as famous as Toyota and Honda is ridiculous when their reliability ratings have been right there with them the whole time.

I've seen quite a few VW's set themselves on fire. I don't like VW or Audi or anything VW does. They are not super reliable, and they're stupid expensive to fix. As my old used car manager used to say, "Never buy a german, only ever rent or lease one."

Newer VW repair bills aren’t nearly as obscene as they used to be. Pre TDI scandal yes 100%

4 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Newer VW repair bills aren’t nearly as obscene as they used to be. Pre TDI scandal yes 100%

I also don't trust VW because of the TDI stuff. When Nissan has a problem, they do what Toyota or Honda do and issue a recall and fix it. Not the dumb stuff VW did.

One more thing on the Toyota, Nissan, and Honda thing. 

Toyota used to be the innovative and solid designed brand.

Honda used to be the functional and ugly brand.

Nissan used to be the pretty brand that didn't have all the features Toyota and Honda had, but same reliability as both.

Now, honestly that hasn't changed too much.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'll be able to disagree/agree next year when I test drive. My wife's Tiguan is so herky jerky and very loud (she has good tires). Other than that, I like it though. 

FWIW, in that same price range, consider a Honda CR-V as well. My wife absolutely loves hers.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 1:26 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Are there any Nissan SUV drivers in here? I've never drove one before but I love the Rogue redesigns. I will be picking up a new car next year, just not sure which one yet. I've been a Mazda loyalist since my 3 b/c I absolutely love the way it drives and my wife's old 5 was awesome as well but them not having touchscreens really turns me off. Read a lot about Nissan's noisy and slow transmission but am curious here what anyone thinks. Is it worse than Tiguan's? My wife's car now is insanely noisy. From what I've read, the new Rogue and '19 Tiguan has comparable giddy-up and I don't think my wife's car is that slow at all. 

Always said I'd never get a Hyundai either but those new Tuscon's look good. Not into test driving until I'm serious about buying one b/c I don't like dealerships at all.

My wife has a 2017 Rogue. When she was shopping we also considered the Tiguan. The Tiguan has suffered allot of reliability issues and some of the repairs are expensive.

The Rogue has 110,000 KM, has been driven across Canada and back. To date no issues, no warranty claims and one minor recall that I remember. 

My wife has no complaints. My only issue is I can’t get totally comfortable in the seat. Everything is adjustable so it’s likely just me.

The only time I consider it noisy is if fully accelerating. Other than that I find it pretty average noise levels. It’s got more than enough power. Of course if someone is expecting high performance they would certainly be disappointed. 

I also like the Rogue redesign. If available in hybrid or electric I would consider it as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

My wife has a 2017 Rogue. When she was shopping we also considered the Tiguan. The Tiguan has suffered allot of reliability issues and some of the repairs are expensive.

The Rogue has 110,000 KM, has been driven across Canada and back. To date no issues, no warranty claims and one minor recall that I remember. 

My wife has no complaints. My only issue is I can’t get totally comfortable in the seat. Everything is adjustable so it’s likely just me.

The only time I consider it noisy is if fully accelerating. Other than that I find it pretty average noise levels. It’s got more than enough power. Of course if someone is expecting high performance they would certainly be disappointed. 

I also like the Rogue redesign. If available in hybrid or electric I would consider it as well.

Awesome. Thanks for the insight! I've heard they've improved a lot since '17 as well so that's encouraging

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Are there any Nissan SUV drivers in here? I've never drove one before but I love the Rogue redesigns. I will be picking up a new car next year, just not sure which one yet. I've been a Mazda loyalist since my 3 b/c I absolutely love the way it drives and my wife's old 5 was awesome as well but them not having touchscreens really turns me off. Read a lot about Nissan's noisy and slow transmission but am curious here what anyone thinks. Is it worse than Tiguan's? My wife's car now is insanely noisy. From what I've read, the new Rogue and '19 Tiguan has comparable giddy-up and I don't think my wife's car is that slow at all. 

Always said I'd never get a Hyundai either but those new Tuscon's look good. Not into test driving until I'm serious about buying one b/c I don't like dealerships at all.

The whole thing with Nissan SUVs, and vehicles in general...is that they've invested fully in the whole CVT route.  It makes for awful, droning, unresponsive, poor performing vehicles, with a lot of reliability questions...that do pretty well on an EPA Fuel Economy cycle.  They don't have "gears" or even clutches and bands, so much as they have a plethora of belts whirring around inside the transmission.  It's a terrible solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Personally, i think the Continuously Variable Transmission is an abjectly hateful item, specifically engineered to inflict unnecessary suffering upon the masses.

A lot of current VW transmissions aren't great either.  But even the worst VW transmission, is worlds better than a CVT.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:50 AM, bigbadbuff said:

You put Nissan on a Honda and Toyota level? Interesting. I mean cost of repairs are very low sure, but idk i don’t see it.

100% agree on the Hyundai/Kia aspect though. I think Kia is the best bang for your buck in the current market. The Forte is awesome for a budget, cheap lease, the K5 is incredible, the Sorento is awesome and the Telluride is the hottest selling SUV in the country. What Kia has become is actually crazy lol. I love their lineup. The Sportage is the only one that hasn’t gotten an update yet and that should be coming next year.

How can you honestly even separate most of these companies anymore?  They're all just rolling the same things out of their factories.  There's no distinction left between vehicles.  

Toyotas cost a fortune to service these days.  They coast on reputation.  The brands are all just built to a tolerance that is narrower and makes for "better initial quality" in a technical sense.  But they're all so equally cheap and indistinguishably same feeling.  Longevity and real reliability is something that's gone completely out the window.  Designed obsolescence is more trendy. 

On 10/10/2021 at 7:18 AM, Matts4313 said:

I am curious as to what makes vehicles "on Honda or Toyotas leve" nowadays? It used to be reliability, but they are all pretty much great at this point if you compare vehicles by segment (comparing cars to cars; not a Corolla and a Frontier X-Pro offroad). Obviously this affects "most reliable brand" rankings because Asian manufactures focus on cars, while US companies focus on Trucks. European brands seem to focus on breaking while pretending to be fancy (looking at you Jaguar Land Rover), so we will exclude them, haha. 

But specifically when I was considering Toyota trucks this summer,  I was once again shocked at how terrible the value proposition was. 20 year old technology, brake systems older than I am, terrible engines fuel economy wise, worst in performance in most measures. They still sold like hotcakes, tho, so apparently reliability doesnt actually matter. Which brings me back to my question: What does it mean to be on "their level"? 

You're conflating "old systems" with "unreliable" in a completely illogical way.

Toyota Trucks are...very much a decade behind.  But there's a case for, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  When it comes to rugged durability and long-term reliability...

If something has worked and been endlessly reliable through a decade of abuse...maybe it's not even bad?  Innovation tends to come with unreliablity, by nature.  It's pushing a new envelope, and that tends to result in failures.

With Toyota though...idk what they're even doing anymore.  The latest Gen Tacoma seemed to walk back several of the things that had been tried and true for the ages.  Basically just made a worse truck in every way.  Still well short on every "performance metric", but somehow made the new Tacoma less reliable and durable than the outgoing trucks, for the second or third time in a row.  The new Tundra is Toyota stepping fully in that direction of like...lmao...none of that is going to work long-term.  So that's where they've decided to go i guess.  Kinda weird.

My favourite thing is Toyota trying to "innovate" with the new Tundra...by developing a V6 turbo only truck, that still can't match the Ford EcoBoost on any major metric. While also not boasting an engine that's a bespoke Truck Motor from the ground up.  But a repurposed Car/SUV unit.  And with a host of wild technology stuff that quite frankly...will not work as intended in the real world.  So they've basically created the polar opposite of what a "Toyota Truck" is known for.  ie. Rugged simplicity and reliability, at the cost of everything else.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The whole thing with Nissan SUVs, and vehicles in general...is that they've invested fully in the whole CVT route.  It makes for awful, droning, unresponsive, poor performing vehicles, with a lot of reliability questions...that do pretty well on an EPA Fuel Economy cycle.  They don't have "gears" or even clutches and bands, so much as they have a plethora of belts whirring around inside the transmission.  It's a terrible solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Personally, i think the Continuously Variable Transmission is an abjectly hateful item, specifically engineered to inflict unnecessary suffering upon the masses.

A lot of current VW transmissions aren't great either.  But even the worst VW transmission, is worlds better than a CVT.

Yeah these transmissions are what I keep reading about and honestly, my biggest concern. I'm keeping my options open but I know what I want in an SUV and my options are a little limited. If I come across more funds in the near future, that'll open more doors..... zing!

I'm just too frugal, that's really what it is lol. 

Thanks for the info

19 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah these transmissions are what I keep reading about and honestly, my biggest concern. I'm keeping my options open but I know what I want in an SUV and my options are a little limited. If I come across more funds in the near future, that'll open more doors..... zing!

I'm just too frugal, that's really what it is lol. 

Thanks for the info

I completely agree with @Tugboat regarding CVT’s.  My wife’s Subaru has a CVT and while she doesn’t give af because she’s not a car person at all, I find it absolutely ruins the driving experience.

I’m not saying it doesn’t work or not to get one, hers has been reliable and such, but just drive it and make sure it doesn’t annoy the piss out of you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

My favourite thing is Toyota trying to "innovate" with the new Tundra...by developing a V6 turbo only truck, that still can't match the Ford EcoBoost on any major metric. While also not boasting an engine that's a bespoke Truck Motor from the ground up.  But a repurposed Car/SUV unit.  And with a host of wild technology stuff that quite frankly...will not work as intended in the real world.  So they've basically created the polar opposite of what a "Toyota Truck" is known for.  ie. Rugged simplicity and reliability, at the cost of everything else.

I mean, I think the new Tundra’s specs are pretty decent.

They clearly didn’t go for class leading, but they typically don’t do that at all. Sure the engine is similar to the Ecoboost, but if it’s more reliable than the 3.5, it’s a win.  Read something or watched a video (don’t remember now) where they interviewed Ford mechanics as to which engine they’d get in a new F150 and it was still overwhelmingly the coyote, follows by the 2.7 actually.  The 3.5 is the engine they see the most in the shop with issues.

If the powertrains in the new Tundra continue to be bulletproof, this is a great redesign.  If reliability falls, this is a poorly done Ecoboost tbh.

I think the towing numbers on all of the half tons are absurdly high and the payloads generally too low and this is no different. That’s my only gripe with the specs.