The Car Thread

Dome

On 10/27/2021 at 1:08 PM, diehardlionfan said:

I guess it depends what you’ve experienced. I drive what I consider to be fun cars but the opportunity to enjoy them is limited. I don’t find commuting to be a driving experience. Thankfully I don’t have to undertake commuting anymore. 

A driving experience to me is the Poconos, Blue Ridge mountains, Rogers Pass, Fraser Canyon, El Camino Real in California.the sea to sky before congestion, Grants Pass etc. Keeping the rpm up and cornering hard in city traffic etc. may be a driving experience but it doesn’t qualify a a good experience.

Yes, a monorail would be great. The only place I’ve been that I’ve ridden one is Las Vegas. Perhaps part of Vancouver’s system is monorail in Surrey but I don’t recall. We left the lower mainland in 2001. Rapid transit be it light rail, monorail is a great idea. One that most of our larger cities have embraced.

I mean...this is pretty much the entirety of my point.

All of what you're saying is true.  The best driving experiences, are when you can really get out there and let lose.  Be it on a fun highway, a bunch of cones set up in a parking lot, or a track.  That's where driving is actually it's most "enjoyable".  That's where cars still have a purpose and value as something "fun".

But if you can't at least fine some "fun" moments in the rest of it, you're going to spend the majority of your time driving...just miserably wishing you were riding a monorail.  Because this is the dysfunctional transportation system we're stuck with.

Why light rail hasn't actually taken off like it should in most North American cities?  Well...that's a complex issue that's probably too political to fully get into here.  But my point is...that should be the standard commute.  Which would free cars up to be...more fun.

But instead, we've gone in the exact opposite direction.  Where cars have become progressively less and less fun and less engaging for decades now.  In pursuit of "streamlining" the purpose of the most mundane and menial of tasks, through a means fundamentally not equipped to efficiently serve that role.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:12 PM, Matts4313 said:

Yup. $6 grand under sticker with 0 incentives from Jeep (they were all taken away a few weeks ago, along with all affiliated discounts). Sticker is a hair under $46k, Invoice was like $44k and my purchase price was a just under $40k. 

Are you just buying and selling and buying these things with all cash?  Or do like...financing rates matter here?  Invoice prices a couple grand apart matter less in the total purchase price than some points in interest on the financing over a number of years.

Either way, it kinda sounds like you did alright.  Good shopping.

Especially since it kinda sounds like you got the vehicle you wanted anyway.  For a price you're happy with.

Were you going to also put a lift on your Maverick though?

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Are you just buying and selling and buying these things with all cash?  Or do like...financing rates matter here?  

Im financing. The rates are to low to pay it cash. 

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Were you going to also put a lift on your Maverick though?

Nah. Nor the other thousands of dollars in mods, haha. Thats kind of an ancillary point though, the Jeep was always going to cost 200% of the Maverick. 

I just like the price shopping because its a little game I play. 'How cheap can I get it?'. 

On 10/31/2021 at 6:04 AM, Tugboat said:

I mean...this is pretty much the entirety of my point.

All of what you're saying is true.  The best driving experiences, are when you can really get out there and let lose.  Be it on a fun highway, a bunch of cones set up in a parking lot, or a track.  That's where driving is actually it's most "enjoyable".  That's where cars still have a purpose and value as something "fun".

But if you can't at least fine some "fun" moments in the rest of it, you're going to spend the majority of your time driving...just miserably wishing you were riding a monorail.  Because this is the dysfunctional transportation system we're stuck with.

Why light rail hasn't actually taken off like it should in most North American cities?  Well...that's a complex issue that's probably too political to fully get into here.  But my point is...that should be the standard commute.  Which would free cars up to be...more fun.

But instead, we've gone in the exact opposite direction.  Where cars have become progressively less and less fun and less engaging for decades now.  In pursuit of "streamlining" the purpose of the most mundane and menial of tasks, through a means fundamentally not equipped to efficiently serve that role.

Total agreement.

The last car that I consider a good car was the BMW 2002 TII. Adding ABS, traction control, lane warnings etc. take the driving away from the driver.

Unfortunately it’s the state of the world. Self driving cars.🤮

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Todays update:

20211101-101739.jpg

20211102-094507.jpg

20211102-095546.jpg

Painted Dash (notice the painted white trim, go UT! - double meaning for my Ugly Truck), PRP Marine Grade Seats, and Rubicon 33" wheels

lol.  I was reading through this, and just about to say the white wheels are a bizarre choice, but...kinda cool?  But it looks dumb as heck without some black accent on the rockers...

But i see you've been spending the evening working on rectifying that.  Curious to see what those big steps will look like on the sides.  Kinda look more...Ram style.  But i'll try my hardest to reserve judgment 'till i see it.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:53 AM, Matts4313 said:

Im financing. The rates are to low to pay it cash. 

Nah. Nor the other thousands of dollars in mods, haha. Thats kind of an ancillary point though, the Jeep was always going to cost 200% of the Maverick. 

I just like the price shopping because its a little game I play. 'How cheap can I get it?'. 

I mean, that's absolutely the right choice.

I just still find it kind of confusing.  Like you quietly seem to understand my point about capability in the form of what makes a vehicle "worth upgrading".  There's a huge difference in the platform there.

It's weirdly kind of backward traditionally speaking.  Where people used to just settle for the "cheaper" option, and spend their money trying to mod it upward in capability.  You can't really do that anymore though.  So i get it.  Just still hung up on why a Maverick would've been anything but a crappy temporary stand-in for what you really wanted.  You physically cannot modify it up to be comparable to a stock Gladiator.  🤷‍♀️

But i do still want to see a Maverick lifted and modded all aggressive.  Because to me personally, that would be absolutely hilarious to look at.

10 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Total agreement.

The last car that I consider a good car was the BMW 2002 TII. Adding ABS, traction control, lane warnings etc. take the driving away from the driver.

Unfortunately it’s the state of the world. Self driving cars.🤮

I feel like at least a few decent cars have been made since after i was born.  But i could be wrong.  I've never been able to afford any "good" cars from before i was born.  Most of them have been locked up in collections as long as i've had a license.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

lol.  I was reading through this, and just about to say the white wheels are a bizarre choice, but...kinda cool?  But it looks dumb as heck without some black accent on the rockers...

But i see you've been spending the evening working on rectifying that.  Curious to see what those big steps will look like on the sides.  Kinda look more...Ram style.  But i'll try my hardest to reserve judgment 'till i see it.

Oh, I have a feeling you all are going to judge me very harshly when you see the final build out of my self titled "ugly truck" (story behind the name if you all want it). But the ultimate goal is to end up with a "Matts" version of this:

jeep-gladiator-scrambler-tribute.jpg

Though I dont think I am putting the sport bar/KC lights for a long time. I thought I would get those early, but its one of the few items that I can not find anywhere for a good price. Those things are expensive for something that serves no functionality. 

So I need some help yall, I want to get a custom decal for my dash. There is one that I love, but its scooby doo which is kinda lame. Id prefer it be Cowboys or Austin related. Take a look at this and shoot me any ideas you have for something better:

https://www.jeepdecalstore.com/jl-jt-custom-designed-passenger-dashboard-decal-.html

https://www.jeepdecalstore.com/jl-jt-1941-mountain-dashboard-decal-.html

run-stick-bastards2-jpg.155781

With my dash being orange, I will probably go white for any decal I put on. I am also considering doing something for the little jeep emblem in the windshield, normally those are like "godzilla chasing the jeep" tho:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb2kptGrLEMsPWomIsfzc

Ive got a guy who can make it whatever we come up with, I am just looking for ideas!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 3:55 PM, ET80 said:

Speaking of Jeep, my wife is keen on the new Grand Cherokee L - she currently owns a 2019 Cherokee and wants something with 3rd row seating. Not sure why, but I'm not one to argue.

I actually like it, but waiting a bit before we buy. It's a nice SUV... 

2021-jeep-grand-cherokee-l-exterior.webp

Might be getting one this week, Grand Cherokee L Limited, White/Gray leather interior. We're test driving it today, and if we like it... then we're getting it tinted, putting some black rims on it (wife loves the white/black rims contrast) and driving it out on Friday.

If we don't like it, wife is impartial to the Toyota Highlander - I don't mind it, has a solid bit of interior tech to use for her - but I'm not a fan overall, would prefer the Jeep.

• Like 1