The Car Thread

Dome

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Alright - I am ready for the ridicule @Tugboat. I got my decal package installed. Now before you go to harsh - the "Ugly Truck" part will be replaced with "scrambler" in the future. I already have the decal made. But I am a very sarcastic person and when my kids told me the Gladiator was the most ugly truck theyve ever seen - - I leaned in to it. So here we go:

20211202-153441.jpg

20211202-155803.jpg

20211202-155838.jpg

20211202-153336.jpg

Honestly, that looks pretty sick.  I'd legit leave the "Ugly Truck" thing.  It's hilarious.  Irony is better than some dumb word like, "Scrambler".  It's so perfect, with the leather seats.

I hate that i love that truck.

I still don't understand the purpose, or what it's really "for".  But darn it looks good, and as the window sticker says...i'm sure the ladies be flocking to it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Honestly, that looks pretty sick.  I'd legit leave the "Ugly Truck" thing.  It's hilarious.  Irony is better than some dumb word like, "Scrambler".  It's so perfect, with the leather seats.

I hate that i love that truck.

I still don't understand the purpose, or what it's really "for".  But darn it looks good, and as the window sticker says...i'm sure the ladies be flocking to it.

I was really shocked at how many compliments I got last night. People were taking pictures of the truck walking by. My son had a group of like ~10-15 highschoolers and they were all checking it out. I thought I was memeing it; but people loved it. 

On 12/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, Matts4313 said:

Alright - I am ready for the ridicule @Tugboat. I got my decal package installed. Now before you go to harsh - the "Ugly Truck" part will be replaced with "scrambler" in the future. I already have the decal made. But I am a very sarcastic person and when my kids told me the Gladiator was the most ugly truck theyve ever seen - - I leaned in to it. So here we go:

20211202-153441.jpg

20211202-155803.jpg

20211202-155838.jpg

20211202-153336.jpg

God damn that looks like fuccin garbage 

On 12/2/2021 at 7:03 PM, biggie. said:

Passed by a Ram 3500 parked by our motorpool the other day. A FREAKING 3500. Who the hell can afford that on military salary? Regardless, I was jealous AF.

Being able to make the payment on something and being able to properly afford it are two different things entirely. 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 7:03 PM, biggie. said:

Passed by a Ram 3500 parked by our motorpool the other day. A FREAKING 3500. Who the hell can afford that on military salary? Regardless, I was jealous AF.

Well to be fair there is quite a bit of brass around motorpools. Tons of Warrant Officers, Lieutenants and Senior enlisted that can afford it. Not saying its not PVT Snuffy that is about to learn what 20% interest on a 60k+ truck runs you though. Trim level and engine option makes all the difference too as far as affordability.  

It really is a daily car show/cruise in on post. Nothing but Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes, lifted trucks and a dash of rice burners when I was stationed at Ft. Riley. Of course I participated in this, I bought a Camaro when I got back to the States. I still own it over 10 years later though, so I don't regret being a part of the madness lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just took advantage of the used car bubble and traded in my 2017 Kia Optima. They gave me nearly 17 grand for it, when I paid 20 grand out the door 5 years ago. I paid 3 grand to drive for 5 years.... the used car market bubble is crazy. The New Car Market is not in a bubble. For example, you will see 2021 CPO Camry's with 15k miles on them, same trim and options, 4k more expensive than 2022 Brand New Camry's with the same trim and options. It makes ZERO sense. 

Anyways, I bought a 2022 Lexus IS 350 F Sport. I wanted a reliable car with no turbo engine that can last 250k miles or 12 years easily. You can get that from any Lexus (Non-turbo) and Camry. Plus it's an awesome car. Paid 46k for it, but my car applied about a 17k down payment, and another 5k from me. 

Gas mileage is awful though at 20/28. But gotta take the good with the bad. My Optima was 28/39, and my Civic was 29/40 before that. 

Edited by BayRaider

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Just took advantage of the used car bubble and traded in my 2017 Kia Optima. They gave me nearly 17 grand for it, when I paid 20 grand out the door 5 years ago. I paid 3 grand to drive for 5 years.... the used car market bubble is crazy. The New Car Market is not in a bubble. For example, you will see 2021 CPO Camry's with 15k miles on them, same trim and options, 4k more expensive than 2022 Brand New Camry's with the same trim and options. It makes ZERO sense. 

Anyways, I bought a 2022 Lexus IS 350 F Sport. I wanted a reliable car with no turbo engine that can last 250k miles or 12 years easily. You can get that from any Lexus (Non-turbo) and Camry. Plus it's an awesome car. Paid 46k for it, but my car applied about a 17k down payment, and another 5k from me. 

Gas mileage is awful though at 20/28. But gotta take the good with the bad. My Optima was 28/39, and my Civic was 29/40 before that. 

How exactly did you calculate 250k miles or 12 years easily?  Non-turbo engines can fail too.

That's legitimately horrendous fuel mileage.  20/28, is like...i drive a decade old car and comfortably do better than that.  So....

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

How exactly did you calculate 250k miles or 12 years easily?  Non-turbo engines can fail too.

That's legitimately horrendous fuel mileage.  20/28, is like...i drive a decade old car and comfortably do better than that.  So....

Lexus engines are known to break 250 as long as you maintain them. Especially the V6 3.5L. Lexus/Toyota are the most reliable brands ever made. 

Gas mileage is bad but I can afford it without issue. 

Edited by BayRaider