The Car Thread

Dome

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Lexus engines are known to break 250 as long as you maintain them. Especially the V6 3.5L. Lexus/Toyota are the most reliable brands ever made. 

Gas mileage is bad but I can afford it without issue. 

Yep. The reason why i decided to buy a 4runner. I’m going to drive it for free for a few years and maybe, if the market stays this way which i think it will, turn a profit off it. The resale value of the Lexus’s and Toyotas are ridiculous 

You guys talking about gas mileage and im over here with 6+ vehicles, none of them get good fuel mileage. My 6.4L Ram 2500 gets the best fuel mileage out of everything i own. I average about 13 with it, 15ish highway. One of these days ill buy a gas saver, just not today.

On 12/24/2021 at 9:34 AM, BayRaider said:

Lexus engines are known to break 250 as long as you maintain them. Especially the V6 3.5L. Lexus/Toyota are the most reliable brands ever made. 

Gas mileage is bad but I can afford it without issue. 

I mean, a lot of engines are known to break 200k+ miles if treated mostly right with proper maintenance, oil changes, etc.  I fully expect my notoriously unreliable engine to make it to that sort of signpost.  It just may not have all it's original peripheral parts.  Turbochargers, heads, downpipes, etc.  But that block will still be standing, 250k miles in, unless i do something moronic to it.  Or i get unlucky.  Or it leaks so much oil out the stupid topside seals that it implodes i guess.

Lots of motors i've owned, been around, driven, operated, all well into that territory without real issue.  Some of them Toyota motors.  Most of them not.

But i feel like 250k miles is both a really common expectation for older motors...and simultaneously, a potentially ambitious but mostly arbitrary number for very "modern motors".  Everything these days has been engineered down to the micrometer of tolerances, and service intervals have been extended to the extremes from the start.  Oil specs have been tuned to improve fuel economy over longevity.  

Toyota V6s have a legendary reputation for durability and longevity, and rightfully so...

I'm just not sure how much of that reputation from years ago, really applies directly to current motors.  Toyota have been among the most resistant to changing maintenance schedules...but it's still the industry direction.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I've never leased before but I'm thinking of doing a lease with my next car bc the prices of cars is so insane right now. I can get the car I want with little down and the payments are good with me. Assuming I like the ride, I'm going to opt to purchase it after the lease is up. As someone who's naive, are there disadvantages of going this route? 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So I've never leased before but I'm thinking of doing a lease with my next car bc the prices of cars is so insane right now. I can get the car I want with little down and the payments are good with me. Assuming I like the ride, I'm going to opt to purchase it after the lease is up. As someone who's naive, are there disadvantages of going this route? 

I mean...if you're convinced that you're going to convert the lease to actually "own" the vehicle, you're going to pay an absolutely atrocious rate when you go to actually "buy out" the lease at the end.  You're going to have less options in terms of financing it, and the interest is going to be worse.

But if it's something where you're not totally sure you're going to want the vehicle at the end of the lease, it's a great way to go.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I too, often just have 90k lying around to buy a truck in cash.

Lol I didn't do it in one payment.  But that's they out the door price.  I put some money down, madder sure my debt was gone and did a lot of setting up for this maneuver.  It's the greatest vehicle over personally ever seen.  

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean...if you're convinced that you're going to convert the lease to actually "own" the vehicle, you're going to pay an absolutely atrocious rate when you go to actually "buy out" the lease at the end.  You're going to have less options in terms of financing it, and the interest is going to be worse.

But if it's something where you're not totally sure you're going to want the vehicle at the end of the lease, it's a great way to go.

Interesting. Is that how it typically works? My credit is phenomenal and my last car I purchased, my rate was like 0.65% or something like that. This is why I asked the question though bc I never thought I would ever be paying high interest rates. Is there a specific reason for that and is this a universal way things are done or would it depend on the dealer?

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Interesting. Is that how it typically works? My credit is phenomenal and my last car I purchased, my rate was like 0.65% or something like that. This is why I asked the question though bc I never thought I would ever be paying high interest rates. Is there a specific reason for that and is this a universal way things are done or would it depend on the dealer?

Typically, yeah.  If you finance the vehicle outright from the start, you're going to get rates that will look "higher" than leasing rates.  But if you decide that you want to "own" the vehicle, and convert your lease to ownership...you're going to get stuck dealing with uglier finance options, generally.  You'll be trying to finance a "used car".  Leasing rates are super attractive, but you have to remember that they're short-term, and you don't own anything at the end.  That can be a good idea, if you want to just live a hassle-free life of paying a fee every month to have a car squared away.  But if you ever want to really own a car, it's a different discussion.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Typically, yeah.  If you finance the vehicle outright from the start, you're going to get rates that will look "higher" than leasing rates.  But if you decide that you want to "own" the vehicle, and convert your lease to ownership...you're going to get stuck dealing with uglier finance options, generally.  You'll be trying to finance a "used car".  Leasing rates are super attractive, but you have to remember that they're short-term, and you don't own anything at the end.  That can be a good idea, if you want to just live a hassle-free life of paying a fee every month to have a car squared away.  But if you ever want to really own a car, it's a different discussion.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to bring this up at the dealership if I choose to go this route