Romo: best color commentator since Madden?

y*so*blu

It took me a few games to warm up to his style, but I love him as a commentator.  Obviously very knowledgeable, but his excitement about the game is contagious.  He jokes sometimes and doesn’t take everything so seriously which I like. Everyone else sounds boring by comparison.  

No. He's better than Madden was.

Romo may never talk about running outside to the c-hole, or right up the a-hole. But he knows football better than anyone currently talking about it. And you can tell he's a big fan. We need more like him. It would make football even more fun to watch.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why do they call it a color commentator? 

Because he does the "colorful" aspect of the commentary, fleshing out the action after the fact, providing context.

As opposed to the "play-by-play" commentator, who is mostly commenting pre-snap and between the whistles, "X goes into motion in the right slot, it's a 3-step drop he scans the field and throws it INCOMPLETE to the TE in the flat".

Romo's insight and passion have been great, yes, he's been far and away my favorite this year.

He's new and he's slightly different than the status quo. So naturally we are getting best ever threads on this forum. In 2 years he might just be the guy that gives a little more inside info and predicts plays. Right now aside from that he doesn't do much well.

Is this a trick question? John Madden was a moronic buffoon. Tony is actually good at breaking things down and has a voice that doesn't grate on your ears.

Believe me, I hated Tony when he was a Cowboy, but he's easily the best commentator that's been around for a while. And no, not "since John Madden", John Madden was terrible.

Dumbest John Madden Quotes of All-Time

8 hours ago, El ramster said:

I don't think madden was great.. Over hyped IMO. It was Al doing all the carrying while Jon would go on spatting

nonsense. 

I was about to say that.  Madden spoke nothing but nonsense... look at this play, that guy went bam that way and then look at this butterfly, its zig zaging across midfield... and he always used his marker to focus on an O-line's belly jiggle... could go 10 minutes about the belly jiggle's projected 40 time, etc... I always felt bad for Pat S having to deal with that... .  Maybe he added some sort of comic relief... but he added nothing to the X's and O's.  

It's sad that Madden's where the bar has been set.  But if that is the case, Romo is already the best then.  

27 minutes ago, Danger said:

Is this a trick question? John Madden was a moronic buffoon. Tony is actually good at breaking things down and has a voice that doesn't grate on your ears.

Believe me, I hated Tony when he was a Cowboy, but he's easily the best commentator that's been around for a while. And no, not "since John Madden", John Madden was terrible.

Dumbest John Madden Quotes of All-Time

Those are freakin' great... and they don't even scratch the surface of his... uhmmm... colorfulness.  My faves from that list:

7. “When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”

13. “Here’s a guy, here’s a guy who when he puts his contacts in, he can see better”

LMAO... I mean... what the hell?!?!  People actually consider this great?!?!  (Funny?  Maybe... but it was unintended... he was just a blabbering old man... similar to Gruden minus the years).

From what I've heard from him so far, its like he's taken little things from all the famous commentators and incorporated them in his style. I've heard bits of Madden, some Bermin, John Gruden, but he adds his player relationship/knowledge to the table which is a bit different from other guys. I enjoy his commentating so far.

Romo is without question my favorite commentator, possibly ever.  The question I would pose is, if he is not the best, at least the best in the last decade or two, then who is?   If you say John Madden, I can understand that.  He was my favorite NFL commentator before Romo started, but if not Madden, then who? 

Who else is even in the running? 

There is a flipside to that question: So, prior to this season, we've been complaining about the quality (or there lackof) of announcing for a while.  People used to joke about unplugging one of the audio cables from their television as a work around so they wouldn't have to listen to the likes of Joe Buck, Phil Simms or Chris Collinsworth.  Is it that Tony Romo is that great himself or just that he's so much better than everyone else? 

Archived