Jump to content
y*so*blu

Romo: best color commentator since Madden?

Recommended Posts

Romo is a natural at this. He hasn't been perfect but he's already better than most commentators in the sport. I do think he gets a little too excited sometimes (which you can argue is part of his charm) and sometimes he talks a little too much as well (again, many like the extended commentary so not necessarily a bad thing). I can see him becoming an all-time great if he keeps it up. Hard to believe he's only been doing this for a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Romo has done like two Steelers games in a row or something now and I like him so far, he was getting pissed at the production crew in yesterday's game though and it was both funny and awkward. First they "went to the studio" and showed a Dez Bryant TD and the guy said something about how many times had Romo done that and there was a huge awkward pause and my wife and I thought Romo had taken it as a slight, then Romo says something like "it would be nice if you guys could actually let me hear the studio so I can answer there question. Then, later in the game he wanted to see a 4th and 1 replay to see if it was a first or not and they weren't showing it so he said something about a replay and then like 10 seconds later said something like "If these CBS guys can show us a replay", lmao like dude you are a CBS guy. 

So he came off as unprofessional, ***** at your crew after the game or at least off air, not on live TV in front of 15 million people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

So Romo has done like two Steelers games in a row or something now and I like him so far, he was getting pissed at the production crew in yesterday's game though and it was both funny and awkward. First they "went to the studio" and showed a Dez Bryant TD and the guy said something about how many times had Romo done that and there was a huge awkward pause and my wife and I thought Romo had taken it as a slight, then Romo says something like "it would be nice if you guys could actually let me hear the studio so I can answer there question. Then, later in the game he wanted to see a 4th and 1 replay to see if it was a first or not and they weren't showing it so he said something about a replay and then like 10 seconds later said something like "If these CBS guys can show us a replay", lmao like dude you are a CBS guy. 

So he came off as unprofessional, ***** at your crew after the game or at least off air, not on live TV in front of 15 million people.

I didn't catch the first one you talked about, but i caught the second one.  I laughed a little.  It was pretty unprofessional though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

So Romo has done like two Steelers games in a row or something now and I like him so far, he was getting pissed at the production crew in yesterday's game though and it was both funny and awkward. First they "went to the studio" and showed a Dez Bryant TD and the guy said something about how many times had Romo done that and there was a huge awkward pause and my wife and I thought Romo had taken it as a slight, then Romo says something like "it would be nice if you guys could actually let me hear the studio so I can answer there question. Then, later in the game he wanted to see a 4th and 1 replay to see if it was a first or not and they weren't showing it so he said something about a replay and then like 10 seconds later said something like "If these CBS guys can show us a replay", lmao like dude you are a CBS guy. 

So he came off as unprofessional, ***** at your crew after the game or at least off air, not on live TV in front of 15 million people.

Yeah, you're dead on about both of those comments.  Hopefully he'll learn not to throw his staff under the bus like that. He doesn't need to throw blame around, we get that technical difficulties happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine this

Play by Play- Gus Johnson

Color Commentator- Tony Romo

Perfect combo of excitememt and knowledge. To bad we will never see it after Gus left CBS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Imagine this

Play by Play- Gus Johnson

Color Commentator- Tony Romo

Perfect combo of excitememt and knowledge. To bad we will never see it after Gus left CBS

I thought about that, but I don't know if it would work.  Nantz is a good paring for Romo, he knows to shut up when Romo starts dominating the convo.  With Gus I would want to hear him more...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also is it just me or does Romo's voice not match his face at all? I've never heard him speak until these two games and so there's the whole weird thing where he is just a faceless voice for 99% of it and yet it still doesn't sound like what I would expect him to sound like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/10/21 at 3:45 AM, TheMonarch1110 said:

People actually like listening to Collinsworth? 

 

I like Collinsworth.  Never understood why so many do not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TpeSteel said:

I like Collinsworth.  Never understood why so many do not.

I think Collinsworth is competent but unexceptional. He doesn't say much that grabs my attention or makes me think about the game. When Romo talks, I look at the TV right away. So do my friends, and they're not even big football fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TpeSteel said:

I like Collinsworth.  Never understood why so many do not.

He just says baffling things for no reason. Kind of like Gruden. Their credibility starts to erode when they tout every player they talk about as Hall of Fame caliber players. Im sure at some point they're told not to harm the NFL brand and to drum up excitement, but they toe the line between that and the absurd.

I remember Collinsworth saying Aaron Donald has had a HoF career a few weeks ago after he made a play. Thats absurd, and we all know it. Nobody has had a HoF career in three years. Thats like a car salesmen telling you that the Honda Fit hes selling is the greatest car he has ever driven. Hes doing his job, but its absurd and you lose credibility each time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phire said:

He just says baffling things for no reason. Kind of like Gruden. Their credibility starts to erode when they tout every player they talk about as Hall of Fame caliber players. Im sure at some point they're told not to harm the NFL brand and to drum up excitement, but they toe the line between that and the absurd.

I remember Collinsworth saying Aaron Donald has had a HoF career a few weeks ago after he made a play. Thats absurd, and we all know it. Nobody has had a HoF career in three years. Thats like a car salesmen telling you that the Honda Fit hes selling is the greatest car he has ever driven. Hes doing his job, but its absurd and you lose credibility each time.

And... that is enough reason to decidedly dislike him?

 

I'm certain the real reason people dislike Collinsworth is because he is smug. He reeks of it. But even so, he's my favorite color commentator because he brings far more x's and o's to the table than anyone else, including Tony. He's also a very natural speaker.

 

I like Tony as a color commentator. Perhaps my second favorite at the moment. He's definitely different and I like the positivity he brings. But his voice is pretty bad and his habit of trying to predict every play gets annoying. He's also nowhere near as smooth as a commentator as Collinsworth is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×