Who are the most complete players at each defensive position?

Kiwibrown

Relative to their positions, I think Haloti Ngata comes close to being the perfect DT. He could stuff the run, rush the passer, and drop into coverage. There was a play one time against the Steelers where the dude dropped into coverage and ran down Rashard Mendenhall on a HB screen play. The guy was crazy athletic for his size. The Ravens played him at NT, DT and DE and he was dominant at all 3.

Ed Reed is of course the best example for the Ravens, playing SS and FS and doing literally everything including blocking punts and returning punts. 

James Harrison I think is one of the most complete OLB's we've seen in quite some time. Of course he could rush the passer and play the run, but he could also drop into coverage and draw penalty flags for unnecessary roughness like nobody's business.

Jamal Adams is another complete player, though I think his coverage skills dropped a little last year (probably due to the injuries he was playing through), but not many people can coverage + blitz + play in the box like he can.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

harrison smith doesn't have the name recognition/prestige of ed reed but i think he could be an honorable mention at safety. this is what PFF had to say about him after they gave him a 98.8 overall grade in 2017:

The first aspect of Smith’s game that is worth drawing attention to is his versatility and how much the Vikings took advantage of that with his alignment. 38.5 percent of Smith’s snaps were spent as a deep free safety in Minnesota’s various coverage looks. He spent 44.6 percent of his snaps as a box safety, up around the line of scrimmage in a multitude of different gap assignments, and the rest of his snaps were split between covering the slot and a couple of dozen times where he was split out wide as a boundary cornerback in matchup looks.

Smith’s ability to do all of this, and all of it at a high level, means the Vikings could call whatever they want on defense, safe in the knowledge that they had this one movable chess piece that ensured they were never stuck in the wrong call from a personnel standpoint.... With all of these responsibilities, Smith was among the top players in virtually every safety number you care to look at.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-harrison-smith-the-pff-dwight-stephenson-award-winner

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, whitehops said:

harrison smith doesn't have the name recognition/prestige of ed reed but i think he could be an honorable mention at safety. this is what PFF had to say about him after they gave him a 98.8 overall grade in 2017:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-harrison-smith-the-pff-dwight-stephenson-award-winner

He is respected but still underrated.  He has been so good for such a long time, it is going to be very tough to replace a player like that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hoekd0250 said:

Vince wilfork was the ideal nt.

He was surprisingly quick for a man his size, there was actually a time that lead the defense in interceptions with 2. lol

ksS8la.gif

Oh and his power, good lord...

giphy.gif

Edited by The Third Rider
  • Like 1

Right now, Eddie Jackson plays almost perfect free safety, literally can tackle, pick off a pass, and play in the box(we try not to put him in that position too much), good cover man too

Historically I'm going to go with Charles Tillman.....6'2, 215lbs. most forced fumbles of any CB EVER, great in coverage too.....kind of a better version of Richard Sherman and not really talked about

Non Bear, I'll go Julio at WR, Gronk at TE

Edited by MonserinNC

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Cam Newton was a unicorn - I don't think we'll ever see a 6' 6" 250lb QB with his arm strength and his straight line speed. 

We pretty much did with josh Allen. 10 pounds lighter but a large fast big armed qb. 

• Like 1