2021 Mexico City Zapatas - 2nd Draft Season

Techbert

5 minutes ago, EirePacker said:

Hey m8, liking the picks. Think you have a pick number error you've 2 players at 109

No. It is two separate trades. It happens sometimes, and you get the same pick number.

Call one 110 or 108 if you want, but I keep the actual pick number on trades.

Edited by Techbert

Summary of picks with some commentary. The weird number after their position is RAS score and the g is for green. Max RAS is 10.

1-1 Trevor Lawrence qb - (Jax 1-1) Easy and obvious pick. I decided that building with Trevor was the hard way, and not the easy way. I have to keep him healthy, have the tools so he can succeed, and somewhere along the way build a defense or my ceiling is a early-exit playoff team. If I had taken the proposed package for him I would have gotten all the players I did, plus gotten Teven Jenkins and Landon Dickerson to finish my offensive line, plus added Newsome and JOK to my defense... and a future HOF tight end at the top of the draft! Plus prime future draft capital. Then it would all depend on Darnold who is in a great situation in Charlotte and had his option picked up. But this is real fantasy and not fantasy fantasy... or something. Anyway, TLaw has all the tools and I trust his composure and experience more than the other quarterbacks. I have questions about the makeup of two of the quarterbacks and did not want to gamble on a couple of guys with very little game experience at the college level. I do not think Trevor will be the best quarterback on the field every week, which was kinda the hype, but he will be within striking distance of the best quarterback on the field.

2-33 Elijah Moore wr 8.68g (NYJ 2-34) I had him gone in the first round, and was looking to trade up to get him. I would have been happy thrilled with Teven Jenkins instead if Elijah was gone, but Elijah was there and I had a choice. Build a slot receiver in the lab and EMoore pops out. Unbelievable feet. Great routes and hands. Fearless over the middle. Has long speed. Looks like you could bounce bullets off his chest. Going to be comfortable doing any gadget play you conceive. When you hit him hard, he bounces up and lets you know he is ready for more.  But it is the meeting room makeup I catch from video interviews and other sources that blow me away. Watch his interviews and you feel like you are interviewing a predator who, if you ask the wrong question, will rip out your heart and eat it. Yeah, that is hyperbole, but watch him and see if you get what I mean. He is super focused. I read him as someone who is a perfectionist about ordering his environment, and I want that in a wide receiver. They are the ones who max their traits such as route running and they are the ones who do not make the same mistakes two weeks in a row. Man of faith, and while I honor anyone believing whatever they believe, I value players with great faith whatever their choice as it reinforces behaviors that help them succeed in football. Also, watch video of him in casual settings where he is not the focus, and he is still the alpha male. My comp for his makeup is Marshall Faulk or Steve Smith. Anyway, I add him to a room with Tee Higgins and they add to offensive diversity since they beat you in two very different ways, and that is important to me.

3-65 Ifeatu Melifonwu db 9.69g Syr (DET 3-101) He can't turn with everyone but I still think he can start as a NFL corner, particularly in off man and zone. Perfect for three deep schemes. Very athletic, like his brother, and appears to love football, unlike his brother. Worst case is I move him inside and he becomes a super-athletic safety with length. Dude is 6-024 with good speed and great hops. I had a lot of top-64 corners this year, and he was the best when I picked him left on my board with the ability to cover outside. Does not fit every scheme. With a pick difference of 36 he is someone I like better than the league does. Scheme fit issues, I suspect. My alternative was Paulson Adebo, who is neither better nor worse, only different.

3-81 TRADE My board was wiped at this point so I welcomed a trade that gave me a future pick. If I knew then what I know now I would have started round 3 with Milton Williams dt and then come back with Ifeatu with this pick. Still, I have a feeling that next year's 4 from Houston will be almost the same as a late 3. I'd rather have a pick next year than this year on roster balancing issues alone, and add to that the expectation that next year's class will be deeper and better scouted.

4-107 Trey Smith olm 9.91g Ten (KC 6-226) I like picking my offensive linemen on day 1 and 2, but some of them pan out on day 3 so I am not worried about picking a guard when I did. I think Trey has the potential to be a quality starter with the run or pass. Can maul you in power man or move and hit you on the second level. Big. Explosive. Great speed particularly the first 10 yards. Former 5 star recruit and I don't like 5 star recruits cuz they do not always play hard, but Trey plays hard. Very happy to have him line up next to Jedrick Wills. But he dropped 119 picks below this selection. I would like to understand why. Earlier in his career Trey missed time with blood clots. He got them under control and has not missed any time the last two years. I hope that is the only medical on him, and his plan to control the clots continues successfully. Anyway, he appears pissed he fell out of day 2 and I expect him to channel that energy positively. He was picked after two long snappers, for crying out loud. For my team I want him to start at guard, and he will have a chance to win the right tackle position. I think he can play 4 or 5 positions, and play them well. Gotta protect TLaw....

4-109 Elerson Smith de 9.72g NIowa (NYG 4-116) 4th round is a reasonable place to find a starting base end, and I hope that is what Elerson is. He may even be more. Small school super athlete.  Embarrassed the children at the Senior Bowl practices. Great length. Great explosion. Has been changing his body from a 190 pound weakling coming into school and added 70# of muscle. Still looks lean, and I don't think he is finished growing yet. Rudimentary pass rush moves, but he has a good pop with strong hands starting his rush off as a bull and then beats you with quicks. Will have to work hard in the pros to add to his arsenal before he has NFL sacks. Really quick, and seems to understand leverage. Once he made it to day 3, he was my #1 target.

(continued)

Edited by Techbert

At this point of the draft I saw another run building on the players I liked, and there were still a few players I really wanted to come out of the draft with. Usually, I say, "at this point I have three names and I would be happy with any of them, and there are six picks before me so I am safe." Didn't feel that today. It was, "at this point I have four names and four picks this round and in six picks none of my guys may be there, much less four of them." I also had more picks than safe roster spots for them. So I traded up a few times, to shed picks and get people with starter or rotational potential at positions I really needed to start making a footprint on. My focus was on defense, defense, defense, but looking for an offensive tackle, too, and had my eye on a guard I did not get.

4-109 Jabril Cox lb 9.73g LSU (DAL 4-115) Big need at linebacker, and Cox has starter potential. Transferred from NDSU to LSU and looked right at home there. Better against the pass and looks like a natural will to me. Good range. Good feel for zone. Lacks natural bulk. Had a shoulder surgery and did not participate in pro day drills due to a hammy, and I am hoping the league is just being prissy and dropped him a round or two cuz of the latter. If so, I have a player. If not, I threw away a 4, 5, and 6.

(NOTE: my last two picks both are 4-109. I acquired them in two separate trades. Keeping the same pick number.)

4-113 Bobby Brown dt 9.82g TAM (LAR 4-117) Big ole boy at dt, but has great explosion and pretty good quickness and speed. One year starter at aTm, so late arrival on the draft scene and still a lot to learn. Was a run-plugging 0 tech, but I think he can be more. I think if he plays 3 tech or 5 tech he will develop some pass rush moves, and will be hard to move out wherever he plays. He's going to an odd front IRL, and I play an even front, but I think skills translate with him. He will rotate with Gallimore plus vets on the Zaps. I moved up to get him and actually spent a future 4th, and I'm not sorry.

4-123 Robert Rochell cb 9.65g CArk (LAR 4-130) He's got a lot to clean up, but hey he's a 4th and not a 1st. Good attitude and improving production until slowed by injury as a senior. Tests through the roof. Has skills to play any technique, but he's not close to there yet. Hate watching him. But athleticism is important at cb and he is not limited, so low floor high ceiling and I am okay with that in round 4.  I like his makeup as a former wide receiver going after the ball, so I have hope.

4-143 Tyree Gillespie s 6.03y Mo (LV 4-143) Tyree is the opposite of Rochell. I love watching him play. If you want the sales pitch, find the video where Brett Kollmann raved about him. The down side is he is physically limited and when he is not playing brilliantly he is showing he needs work on angles and crap. Typical young safety weaknesses. I like selecting safeties late and letting them work out their angles on special teams. I got two this year in this category. Note that this is the first yellow RAS I selected.

5-168 Stone Forsythe ot 8.79g Fla (SEA 6-208) I go back and forth on Stone but hey! I got him late and I need a tackle. Sometimes I think he is a potentially great pass protector with great agility who will get bigger after a few NFL meals and will then start moving people in the run game. Then I think he will never be a plus in the run game and his height will limit his pass pro and he is not explosive and will not become that way by September and his speed is best AFTER the first 10 yards. Sometimes I see Nate Solder in a Pats uniform. Sometimes I see Nate Solder in a Giants uniform. I think Seattle is a good place for him.

6-212 James Wiggins s 9.70g Cin (AZ 7-243) My other safety who can sit and learn on special teams, but a much better athlete. My theory on James is he was held back in his 2020 play due to a 2019 ACL tear, and his recognition and response is naturally better than the experts think. Sounds great, right? Worth a late rounder to find out. Not as tall as I like and may be a bit too musclebound, but we'll see what he can do in the desert.

At this point I was done making serious picks, which is good because no one picked after this was drafted. My biggest heartbreak of the draft was losing Pressley Harvin to the Steelers in the 7th. What were the Steelers doing drafting my punter in the 7th? Anyway, quickly, there is a lot to dislike about Tamorrian Terry (SEA), but if he is healthy and his mind is rite he could find greatness.  Briley Moore (TEN) is a Northern Iowa transfer to KSt, which is not a great place for a te to go but he interests me. If he shows up in shape bigger than anyone expects and faster than anyone expects, which is possible, he could make some noise. Charles Snowden (CHI) is a basketball player playing defense end like a basketball player and is coming off a bad leg injury, so no shock he went undrafted.  But I am a sucker for an athlete. James Smith (TEN) is yet another Aussie punter. Not the strongest leg, but he's had like three touchbacks in his entire life. Did I mention I wanted Pressley Harvin?

Edited by Techbert

UDFA Signees

Had a lot of "no's" last night, but here is what I have. Room for 2 1 more. Maybe later. Added a quarterback. Full up.

Peyton Ramsey qb NW Car
Josh Imatorbhebhe wr Ill JAX
Blake Proehl wr ECU MIN
Jack Stoll te Neb PHI
Dedrick Mills rb Neb DET
Carson Green ot TAM HOU
Jared Hocker og TAM SEA
Chandon Herring og BYU TEN
Harry Crider c Ind PHI

Marvin Wilson dt FSU CLE (ate my budget)
Darius Stills dt WV LV
Dylan Moses lb Ala JAX
Ar'darius Washington s TCU BAL
Christian Uphoff s IllSt GB
Tyler Coyle s Pur DAL
Zayne Anderson s BYU KC

Edited by Techbert