Is the N64 the Best System Ever Made?

Read a article about what the best video game system ever made was and it got me thinking.

Is it even arguable that the N64 is the greatest system with the greatest catelog of games ever made?

Strictly looking at the spring board it was in the era it was in for future systems and games it has to be considered the holy grail if systems that will never be beat.

Look at this game list, going by game selection alone is there even a console out there that can match what the N64 brought to the table?

007 Goldeneye

Turok 1+2

Mario Party

Mario 64

Donkey Kong 64

Mario Kart

Diddy Kong Racing

Pokemon Stadium

NBA Hangtime

Starfox 64

NFL Blitz

1080 Snowboarding

WaveRace

Snowboard Kids

Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask

Banjo Kazooie

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Ken Griffey Jr Slugfest

Super Smash Bros

Crusin' USA

F-Zero X

Hydro Thunder

Harvest Moon

San Francisco RUSH

Vigilante 8

• Like 1

It was very good, but man the PS2 had some bangers too - GTAs, Metal Gear Solids, Final Fantasy X, some good Maddens, Kingdom Hearts, and more. 

That said, it's a lot easier to pull out an N64 and enjoy some classics compared to the PS2. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

As for Game Quality I’d put PS2 #1 and N64 #2. 

The games that were made for these two systems were just constant quality. 

Yeah I didn't know of it was the nostalgia or or if everything PS3 onwards has been underwhelming.

There has been great games here and there (like Infamous) but nothing consistent on the newer consoles. The market just feels oversaturated with too many developers. The 64 had Midway and Rare producing like 50% of their games so there was a consistently model.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I'd certainly agree with those as the top 2 (N64/PS2), it's a tough call which I enjoyed more.  I lean towards N64, but that could be childhood nostalgia.  I got it for Christmas '96 when I was 15 and played the hell out of that thing for the next three years.

• Like 1

Not even close, PS1 was better. Final Fantasy 7-9, Resident Evil 1-3, Dino Crisis 1 and 2, Tekken 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Twisted Metal 1-4, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, Legacy of Kain, Silent Hill, Crash trilogy, Legend of Dragoon, Tomb Raider 1-3, Spyro trilogy, Syphon Filter, Vagrant Story, the list goes on.

The 3rd party games PS1 had were just sick.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Not even close, PS1 was better. Final Fantasy 7-9, Resident Evil 1-3, Dino Crisis 1 and 2, Tekken 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Twisted Metal 1-4, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, Legacy of Kain, Silent Hill, Crash trilogy, Legend of Dragoon, Tomb Raider 1-3, Spyro trilogy, Syphon Filter, Vagrant Story, the list goes on.

The 3rd party games PS1 had were just sick.

For me it’s 

1) PS2

2) N64

3) PS1

But they are all VERY close. 

PS1 games were incredible though. Crash series, Spyro series, Twisted Metal series, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, etc. 

Also, you didn’t list Driver. Fantastic game. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd certainly agree with those as the top 2 (N64/PS2), it's a tough call which I enjoyed more.  I lean towards N64, but that could be childhood nostalgia.  I got it for Christmas '96 when I was 15 and played the hell out of that thing for the next three years.

Me too. I remember mine on Xmas came with Goldeneye and I played through that game 50x over. I also cracked so hard on 1080 Snowboarding and Ken Griffey. Investing days upon days upon days of my life playing Mario Party, Mario Kart, NBA Hangtime, Blitz, Cruisin USA, Tony Hawk, Super Smash Bros, ect with friends. There were SOO many great multiplayer games.

It just felt like whatever game you played for that system it was good. Maybe it's because I was 9-12 years old, but man everything was good.

Besides Quest 64. The only game I couldn't beat. Hardest game ever made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

For me it’s 

1) PS2

2) N64

3) PS1

But they are all VERY close. 

PS1 games were incredible though. Crash series, Spyro series, Twisted Metal series, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, etc. 

Also, you didn’t list Driver. Fantastic game. 

Yeah it is just way way too hard to beat PS2.  Doubt it ever happens again.  I remember having the fat backwards compatible PS3... it was perfect.