Is the N64 the Best System Ever Made?

I agree with some people here that the PS1 was better. The N64 was still amazing though.

I think the thing that made those systems magical was the amount of innovation we were seeing. Everything was new and exciting and hadn't been done before. When you were playing so many of those games, it often times wasn't just a new game but a new take on a whole genre of game. Made for some really magical experiences.

Honestly, I think another one of the reasons it was so incredible was due to the smaller budget required to make a game. Games were smaller, simpler and much easier to create compared to the AAA games we see today. That led to tons of unknown developers making amazing games because money/time wasn't prohibitive. Because of this, it felt like instead of doing research online and anticipating a game for years, you'd just walk into a rental store and look at the games. There would be so many new ones or ones you had never heard of before that you could take home at try. A lot of those ended up being some of the best games of all time (relatively speaking). On top of that, the cheap cost of game production allowed devs to innovate more because there was less risk. Compared to today where if a game or two fails and the entire studio gets shut down.

As a kid who would generally get stuff if I really wanted it, the N64 was like the one big thing my parents never got me.
It seemed like such a dream console to me. I'd look longing at it when they had it up in Toys r' Us, trying to drop very obvious hints. Loved when they would come out with new colors.
So can't really say outside the allure of it and loving the games I got to play at other people's houses..

It did save me from the nostalgia loop that Nintendo cashes in on constantly I guess.
Pokémon is really the only one that got me there, because I had all the handhelds.

Ps1 had a lot of good games, same with ps2.
For my own tastes though the first 5 years (Fall '06 to Fall '11) of the 360 era was amazing. 

Oblivion, Halo 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Limbo, Fable 2, Portal 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Bioshock, Red Dead, Arkham Asylum/City, Skyrim, Rock Band, The Assassin's Creed games, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2. Sports games were at their best, Fight Night, NCAA. All my favorite CODs were then.
Some of my favorite games, experiences and franchises of all time.

8 hours ago, Malfatron said:

For a certain type of game maybe.

I would vote PS2 or super NES

Geez, I owned a PS2 and there seems to be a lot of people favoring that over the 64. Guess I never thought about it.

The PS2 did give me Socom 2. Which was probably my most played game with friends online to this day and my favorite game ever made.

Definitely not. It has a lot of games, but I'd prefer the SNES and Switch for Nintendo consoles alone. Then you have to factor in stuff like the PS2, which just has a ton more games. 

Some of the big N64 games haven't aged all that well either. 

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

No love for the Sega Genesis? Man I loved that thing.

Did anyone else have Sega Channel? 

Sega Genesis was great. Speaking game wise (which I think is how we are ranking these, Genesis is #4 for me behind PS2, N64, and PS1.

21 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Expand my list a bit: 

Greatest Games of All Time:

1) PS2

2a) N64

2b) PS1

4) Sega Genesis

5) Gameboy Color

6) PC

7) 360

8 ) PS4

Never played much SNES so I cannot rank it accurately.

Thanks for clarifying that, because I was about to rip into you. 😡

SNES had some of the most iconic games of all time, and had so many good games overall.

Sega had some great games, but I HATED the Genesis controller.