Is the N64 the Best System Ever Made?

It was definitely one of my favorites, but the only consoles I've ever owned were Atari 2600, Atari 7200, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Dreamcast, and Nintendo 64.  I went straight from the N64 to PC for all my gaming addictions.  My roommates and I spent a LOT of time on the N64.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Not only were they great games but they were all meant to be played together with friends in person.  They had great single player as well.

Now everything is meant to be played through a head set and short single player campaigns.  

While I miss the days of sitting in the same room with friends and passing controllers around....we wouldve all killed to be able to play each other on the internet from our own rooms back in the 90s when I was a kid.

Its kinda like the same way I miss movie rental places.    So many memories and so much nostalgia, but back then, i wouldve killed for the ability to just rent movies and games from home.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 43M said:

While I miss the days of sitting in the same room with friends and passing controllers around....we wouldve all killed to be able to play each other on the internet from our own rooms back in the 90s when I was a kid.

Its kinda like the same way I miss movie rental places.    So many memories and so much nostalgia, but back then, i wouldve killed for the ability to just rent movies and games from home.

I used to call my friends on the phone and we'd play video games while talking on the phone. If we could have played against each other, while talking, that would have been ideal. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 43M said:

we used to do that on goldeneye.  if you get shot you have to pass the controller to someone else. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I used to call my friends on the phone and we'd play video games while talking on the phone. If we could have played against each other, while talking, that would have been ideal. 

my best friend and I used to do that on the old NBA Lives on franchise mode. 

• Like 1

PS2 gave me the best Madden/NCAA experience (I still play 06 to this day) and MVP Baseball 2005 is perhaps the best sports game ever made. Throw in additional efforts such as the Gran Turismo series, the Burnout series, the Twisted Metal series, the God of War series, the Metal Gear series and perhaps one of the greatest video games ever made - Shadow of the Colossus.

I loved every minute of my N64, but the PS2 wins (pretty easily IMO).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

we used to do that on goldeneye.  if you get shot you have to pass the controller to someone else. 

Same.

Also, for all the N64 wrestling games, Turtles in Time and Streets of Rage....among others. 😁

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion coming up. Get to your safe space if you need to right now.

GoldenEye is synonymous with the N64. It's one of the first true console FPSs, it was attached to a very popular franchise (I'd argue the Pierce Brosnan era-Bond movies were the most popular [not the best] but that's an argument for Entertainment). It was one of the first games built for multi parties - grab friends, grab four controllers, grab whatever you like to use to unwind (no judgement, but leave it at that) set up Power Weapons on Stack and just got at it for hours.

All this being said - give me the following PS2 games for a better multi party experience:

- Red Faction 1/2 (2 was much better than 1, but 1 had great moments in multiplayer).

- Unreal Tournament (holy hell, this game here... chaos in multi player)

- Killzone (perhaps one of the most visually stunning games on the platform).

- Timesplitters 2/Timesplitters Future Perfect (made by the same team that made GoldenEye - a spiritual successor if there ever was one)

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Unpopular opinion coming up. Get to your safe space if you need to right now.

GoldenEye is synonymous with the N64. It's one of the first true console FPSs, it was attached to a very popular franchise (I'd argue the Pierce Brosnan era-Bond movies were the most popular [not the best] but that's an argument for Entertainment). It was one of the first games built for multi parties - grab friends, grab four controllers, grab whatever you like to use to unwind (no judgement, but leave it at that) set up Power Weapons on Stack and just got at it for hours.

All this being said - give me the following PS2 games for a better multi party experience:

- Red Faction 1/2 (2 was much better than 1, but 1 had great moments in multiplayer).

- Unreal Tournament (holy hell, this game here... chaos in multi player)

- Killzone (perhaps one of the most visually stunning games on the platform).

- Timesplitters 2/Timesplitters Future Perfect (made by the same team that made GoldenEye - a spiritual successor if there ever was one)

I mean....I dont know that Id really call that "unpopular" opinion.   There were games that eventually came out that outdid Goldeneye....but GoldenEye 64 paved the way for all future multi-player FPS games, and it stood by itself for several years.  THAT is why its so special.

Funny enough, since N64, Ive never been a big fan of FPS games.   I loved GoldenEye and Perfect Dark...but after N64, I was never into them as much.  I remember buying Red Faction when I first got my PS2, and I never finished it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

I mean....I dont know that Id really call that "unpopular" opinion.   There were games that eventually came out that outdid Goldeneye....but GoldenEye 64 paved the way for all future multi-player FPS games, and it stood by itself for several years.  THAT is why its so special.

Funny enough, since N64, Ive never been a big fan of FPS games.   I loved GoldenEye and Perfect Dark...but after N64, I was never into them as much.  I remember buying Red Faction when I first got my PS2, and I never finished it.

Same man. I feel like most gamers love FPS but the only ones I was into were on N64. Golden Eye was fun as hell, as was Perfect Dark. I don’t even like third person shooters much either, aside from the Mass Effect Series. 

Just not big into shooting games, find them epically boring. Close combat games though, sign me up. God of War, Zelda, Assassin’a Creed, Star Wars Jedi type games, Arkham Knight, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Same man. I feel like most gamers love FPS but the only ones I was into were on N64. Golden Eye was fun as hell, as was Perfect Dark. I don’t even like third person shooters much either, aside from the Mass Effect Series. 

Just not big into shooting games, find them epically boring. Close combat games though, sign me up. God of War, Zelda, Assassin’a Creed, Star Wars Jedi type games, Arkham Knight, etc. 

Im right there with you for the most part, but I do enjoy some other 3rd person shooting games such as Uncharted and GTA.    Usually though, Im into action, adventure and/or RPGs.

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

Im right there with you for the most part, but I do enjoy some other 3rd person shooting games such as Uncharted and GTA.    Usually though, Im into action, adventure and/or RPGs.

Yeah I love GTA but that’s a bit different than a standard shooter, best free roam game of all time in a super immersive world. Love RPGs as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 8:11 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Read a article about what the best video game system ever made was and it got me thinking.

Is it even arguable that the N64 is the greatest system with the greatest catelog of games ever made?

Strictly looking at the spring board it was in the era it was in for future systems and games it has to be considered the holy grail if systems that will never be beat.

Look at this game list, going by game selection alone is there even a console out there that can match what the N64 brought to the table?

007 Goldeneye

Turok 1+2

Mario Party

Mario 64

Donkey Kong 64

Mario Kart

Diddy Kong Racing

Pokemon Stadium

NBA Hangtime

Starfox 64

NFL Blitz

1080 Snowboarding

WaveRace

Snowboard Kids

Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask

Banjo Kazooie

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Ken Griffey Jr Slugfest

Super Smash Bros

Crusin' USA

F-Zero X

Hydro Thunder

Harvest Moon

San Francisco RUSH

Vigilante 8

I love the exclusives but the library is just too small for me. I also hated that it lacked a good RPG game, especially JRPGs. The PS1 and PS2 lineups met my wants more.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:17 AM, 43M said:

I mean not only GoldenEye being a pioneer game but nobody has mentioned that the N64 has the most widely regarded greatest video game ever made. Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

THAT game was worth the price of the entire system alone. Not to mention Mario 64 in the same category.

Edited by AkronsWitness