Is the N64 the Best System Ever Made?

On 5/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Not only were they great games but they were all meant to be played together with friends in person.  They had great single player as well.

Now everything is meant to be played through a head set and short single player campaigns.  

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ad9f7afc2211fb1c6

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

The correct answer is lol no.

I dont think its the best, but its not like it doesnt have an argument.    It was a revolutionary system with an amazing library of historically good games.

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont think its the best, but its not like it doesnt have an argument.    It was a revolutionary system with an amazing library of historically good games.

Agreed.  Great system overall but IMO no argument that it was the very best--would need several greatest of all-time games, which it does not have.  The OP is about very best, though, which is why I say it's an lol no for me (dawg).  Top-5?  I'd say yeah.

9 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Agreed.  Great system overall but IMO no argument that it was the very best--would need several greatest of all-time games, which it does not have.  The OP is about very best, though, which is why I say it's an lol no for me (dawg).  Top-5?  I'd say yeah.

Fair enough, and I largely agree.   But beyond games, you also have to factor in the impact it had on the future of gaming, and that gives it some extra points IMO.   It laid the foundation for all future FPSs, showed how epic in scale adventure games could be, and set the standard for 3D platformers.   Not to mention the wrestling games on 64 have arguably never been topped.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, biggie. said:

The key problem with the N64 is the awful controller. It is not comfortable to use at all imo.

Took getting used to, but I adapted.    Definitely better than the Genesis and original XBox controllers.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:29 PM, AkronsWitness said:

I mean not only GoldenEye being a pioneer game but nobody has mentioned that the N64 has the most widely regarded greatest video game ever made. Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

THAT game was worth the price of the entire system alone. Not to mention Mario 64 in the same category.

When OOT came out it was the greatest game I had ever played. It was the first true open world game that was a pioneer for role playing video games on a console.  That being said, it does not hold up well when you go back and play it.  It laid the groundwork but many open world rpgs are superior games at this point.

My first console was the NES.  It’s a great simple console that non gamers like my dad could sit and play. Zelda 2, Link holds up really well to this day. SNES was a great console but generally left behind casual gamers, but through this it brought games with more depth.  The original Mariocart is probably in my top 3 in hours spent on a game all time (the other 2 are PC games). The early final fantasy games were SNES, and Zelda on snes is top notch. N64 was a game changer with 3D.  Mario 64 is imo the best Mario game of all time and still holds up today if you play it. Goldeneye basically created multiplayer gaming and reinvented how you play video games. GameCube was my last Nintendo console but was largely a disappointment.  I do credit GameCube for introducing me to madden franchise mode and Resident Evil 4, which imo is a top 5 video game all time.  In the early console wars I went with Xbox over PS and have remained with Xbox ever since.  The best Xbox imo was 360, although One was solid. The original Xbox had some great games but a clunky controller.

Edited by MKnight82

44 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

When OOT came out it was the greatest game I had ever played. It was the first true open world game that was a pioneer for role playing video games on a console.  That being said, it does not hold up well when you go back and play it.  It laid the groundwork but many open world rpgs are superior games at this point.

Yeah but that can be said about a lot of games. Personally one of my top 3 favorite games ever made was Socom 2 for the PS2. I garatuntee if I go back and try to play that right now after playing 10 years of COD on the PS4 that Socom would look unplayable.

There is something to be said about replay ability years later but how the game was at the time it was made should be held in higher regard. 

18 hours ago, 43M said:

Took getting used to, but I adapted.    Definitely better than the Genesis and original XBox controllers.

I feel like I was too young to really care at that point. The controller looking back was horrendous, BUT (correct me if Im wrong) was a pioneer controller at the same time. The underside 'Z' button that was used as the trigger control for nearly all of the shooters made for it was a first. I believe that button inspired the L2 and R2 triggers on the ps2. I actually think I read that somewhere on IGN or something.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah but that can be said about a lot of games. Personally one of my top 3 favorite games ever made was Socom 2 for the PS2. I garatuntee if I go back and try to play that right now after playing 10 years of COD on the PS4 that Socom would look unplayable.

There is something to be said about replay ability years later but how the game was at the time it was made should be held in higher regard. 

I disagree.  If it’s the greatest game of all time it has to hold up.  I mean it’s the best game ever it has to be held to the highest standard.  OOT, great game, historically relevant, not the greatest of all time cause it doesn’t hold up.