2021 NFL Draft Thread

Texansfan713

9 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Everyone except Nico Collins was a team captain last year. I don't think that's a coincidence either. 

Changing the culture... but IIRC Rick Smith liked to draft players who had leadership roles in college

1st impressions of 2021 Texans draft... underwhelming (Overall D)

Maybe Cessario learned too much from BB

I hope... I HOPE... to be proven wrong

This has shades of 2020 draft class all over it and that is NOT a good thing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

1st impressions of 2021 Texans draft... underwhelming (Overall D)

Maybe Cessario learned too much from BB

I hope... I HOPE... to be proven wrong

This has shades of 2020 draft class all over it and that is NOT a good thing

I agree - I give it a D on a curve. I like the Collins pick, but Caserio picked luxury when there are gaping holes in the lineup.

The Davis Mills pick is the most confusing pick of them all, as he's probably not good enough to start now, but not good enough to justify passing on a QB early next season - you essentially used your first pick on a guy who is probably your backup for the next 3-5 years. 

TE Brevin Jordan is the most infuriating pick - we draft this guy EVERY year, the TE with elite athletic traits, and that guy always does nothing. I hope we FINALLY get this right with Brevin, so we can finally stop throwing picks away on TEs. Dimes to dollars, we'll pick another TE next draft, and the draft after that, and the draft after that, and the draft after that... 

We finally addressed the issue on the team by picking up a guy who is too small to be a LB but too slow to be a box S, and a big 1-Tech run stuffer for our DL. Roy Lopez and Nico Collins might be the only two playery I can tolerate from this draft.

Ultimately, I am starting to think that bad New England drafting found its way to Houston. Which, y'know - Patriots South, right on cue.

• Like 1

What could have been...

3-67 Edge Joseph Ossai

3-89 IOL Quinn Meinerz

5-147 ???

5-170 LB Nick Niemann

6-195 IDL Jonathan Marshall

I think most draft pundits would give that an A with the Texans' limited draft capital.  Plus it would actually have improved the team (maybe that is not what is wanted this year a la the tanking 2020 - 21 Rockets and Astros pre-2015).

Meinerz & Ossai compete for starting roles.  Niemann and Marshall are athletic, rotational pieces with starter potential.

Then sign UDFAs QB Jamie Newman; WR Tamorrion Terry; TE Brock Wright; & S Tyler Coyle (mainly PS players, but Newman & Terry could contribute biggly.)

Re-sign CB Gareon Conley (1 year, $2M, $500K guaranteed)

That would be an A.

That being said, I do like Carson Green as UDFA signing. So there's that....