Rodgers and Hail Marys

Master of Suspense

The media loves to proclaim that Rodgers is some Hail Mary messiah but the fact of the matter is he's only thrown one. A Hail Mary must tie or win a game in the final seconds and must be thrown up for grabs in the end zone. The one against the Giants was at the end of the half and the Packers were already leading by that point. The 4th and 20 pass against Arizona meets none of the criteria and the game tying pass against Arizona was a pass that was thrown to Janis and Janis only. It wasn't up for grabs. Only the Detroit one was actually a Hail Mary. I think what is and isn't a Hail Mary is greatly confused and often plays that aren't Hail Marys are labeled as being Hail Marys. 

I think what is and isn't a Hail Mary is a little nit picky and I'm not even sure you're definition is correct. But he does get way too much credit for it IMO. He's an NFL QB. A lot of QBs can throw 60-70 yards into an area. It's much harder to catch that ball with all those players around. And there's probably some emphasis on it in practice that the coaching staff should get some credit for 

3 minutes ago, 808sinfour4time said:

Who's definition is this?

Wikipedia (I know, I know) lists it as "a very long forward pass, made in desperation with only a small chance of success".

"Originally meaning any sort of desperation play, a "Hail Mary" gradually came to denote a long, low-probability pass attempted at the end of a half when a team is too far from the end zone to execute a more conventional play, implying that it would take divine intervention for the play to succeed. For more than forty years, use of the term was largely confined to Notre Dame and other Catholic universities."

45 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Wikipedia (I know, I know) lists it as "a very long forward pass, made in desperation with only a small chance of success".

"Originally meaning any sort of desperation play, a "Hail Mary" gradually came to denote a long, low-probability pass attempted at the end of a half when a team is too far from the end zone to execute a more conventional play, implying that it would take divine intervention for the play to succeed. For more than forty years, use of the term was largely confined to Notre Dame and other Catholic universities."

Well, that Wikipedia language makes more sense to me than anything including "must win or tie," but I'm willing to consider the source of tribar's definition.

Hail Mary has nothing to do with being at the end of the game. It's where a WR streaks and the QB throws it to that guy with low probability.

As for Rodgers, the guy isn't "praised" because of Hail Marys. Those are mostly luck. He's praised because he's arguably the most talented QB to ever play in the NFL and perhaps the best pure passer to ever play as well.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I just think Hail Mary's even with great precision are at least 80% luck and more on the positioning of the receivers and defenders than anything the QB has to do with it. 

Agreed. 

The Packers just find themselves in the position a lot. Whether it’s Richard Rodgers and Jeff Janis, or Golden Tate and Hakeem Nicks. They’ve been on both ends. 

On 10/20/2017 at 12:16 PM, 808sinfour4time said:

Whose definition is this?

The OP.  It would have been a bit more accurate if he would have said game-winning hail mary.  You can have a hail mary that doesn't happen at the end of the game.

On 20/10/2017 at 5:45 PM, tribar said:

The media loves to proclaim that Rodgers is some Hail Mary messiah but the fact of the matter is he's only thrown one. A Hail Mary must tie or win a game in the final seconds and must be thrown up for grabs in the end zone. The one against the Giants was at the end of the half and the Packers were already leading by that point. The 4th and 20 pass against Arizona meets none of the criteria and the game tying pass against Arizona was a pass that was thrown to Janis and Janis only. It wasn't up for grabs. Only the Detroit one was actually a Hail Mary. I think what is and isn't a Hail Mary is greatly confused and often plays that aren't Hail Marys are labeled as being Hail Marys. 

In terms of the media, they'd cease to exist if they couldn't get their greasy chops on gimmicks like this. Top 100, Miracle on whatever night, supercam, GOAT this GOAT that etc etc. People lap it up. 

Archived