Broncos trade 6th round pick for Teddy Bridgewater

broncosfan07

Yeah, this trade changes nothing for tomorrow. Teddy could just as likely be the mentor of a top draft pick as he could be competition for Lock. 

I was a big booster of Teddy in his draft year, but that leg injury was devastating. When a guy with average-at-best arm strength loses all explosion from his lower body, it makes it impossible to drive balls down the field. 

• Like 1

I wasn't super crazy about Teddy, but for $3MM and a 6th, it could be worse. He's arguably better than Lock, IMO. That said, it doesn't move the needle, I agree. I am of the opinion this means we likely don't trade up for a QB, though admittedly, I didn't consider the Lock to Detroit angle. I think though, we might now look at QB if one falls to 9, but this makes a trade to, say, 4, less likely.

Just now, broncos67 said:

I wasn't super crazy about Teddy, but for $3MM and a 6th, it could be worse. He's arguably better than Lock, IMO. That said, it doesn't move the needle, I agree. I am of the opinion this means we likely don't trade up for a QB, though admittedly, I didn't consider the Lock to Detroit angle. I think though, we might now look at QB if one falls to 9, but this makes a trade to, say, 4, less likely.

I agree with all this but this doesn't scream push lock trade this screams mentor rookie qb trade just my perception.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

You knew the Broncos were trading for Teddy at someone either way.  Paton was in Minnesota when they drafted him.  It's just, what is the strategy now?  If you draft Fields, which I think the Broncos will if the 49ers don't, then I don't think you can keep Lock, the Qb room would be Teddy starting until Fields is ready with Rypien there to eventually be a coach of sorts.  Or, if the 49ers draft fields this is a trade back, pick up picks, and then Lock and Bridgewater duke it out for the starting job.  

This is really a cool scenario.  I am okay with both.  

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

there's no way something that dope could happen for us right 

It has to. The more and more I honestly think about it, there is no way in hell this FO can believe going into with Lock/Bridgewater is going to go well. Not with how the roster is constructed.

Like last year, this roster is so ready to win right now--you cannot possibly pass up the chance at drafting a top tier prospect at QB if it's there.

Paton seems aggressive but also close to the vest type of guy. I hope he does what others before him couldn't and that's put everything on the table for a top tier QB talent instead of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken bleeeeeep.

2 hours ago, anewdawn said:

This would have really excited me had it been last year.  I like Teddy and thought he was really rising until his injury.  Thought he would do real good in Carolina but I guess that wasn't really his fault as Mcaffrey was basically out all year and what do they have one wr? It was a garbage situation to be in and frankly I should have spotted that.  Teddy clearly isn't the salvation but if he does better because we are better it puts us at around .500 and that doesn't do anything for us either.  A good move but hope it doesn't preclude us from going qb high if one is there.  PS Mike Silver is in Denver today.  He talked to Paton who apparently likes all the top five qbs but also says he would like to get a haul for pick 9 - guess 4 teams have already inquired............  

Carolina had DJ Moore, Robby Anderson and Curtis Samuel. That's a pretty damn good trio. Definitely better than the majority of the league. 

As everyone is saying I don't think (or certainly hope) this changes the approach to the draft. Teddy B is clearly a backup at this point, and if you're still the optimist then I beg you go watch the last half of the season... He was pretty dreadful. But he's a solid backup and certainly a better guy to mentor on the sidelines/in the QB room than lock. 

58 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

Carolina had DJ Moore, Robby Anderson and Curtis Samuel. That's a pretty damn good trio. Definitely better than the majority of the league

As everyone is saying I don't think (or certainly hope) this changes the approach to the draft. Teddy B is clearly a backup at this point, and if you're still the optimist then I beg you go watch the last half of the season... He was pretty dreadful. But he's a solid backup and certainly a better guy to mentor on the sidelines/in the QB room than lock. 

ok, I forgot about Moore (not a big Panther follower) and am not a big Samuel fan though he had his best production with TB at qb.  But I guess your point speaks to Teddy not being that good and thats what I said - I was disappointed in his year last year and was expecting more.  I think he is better than Lock though and will elevate us to no mans land.  Still hoping we get one of the top 4 qbs but am having my doubts.............

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

If this trade takes us out of the QB market and we just take Parsons, Paton is a clown

Yeah, I think they have to get Fields. Make hay while the sun shines. Next year's class doesn't project to be that deep (three QB's going at the top of Round 1, and that's it).

It’s a really good trade, imo.  6th is nothing, doesn't really impact the cap, expiring contract, phenomenal character and a pro that will be a good influence on this young room.  It’s all been said in posts prior to this.

The trade gives Paton flexibility that didn’t really exist at pick 9, the options were pretty much wait for a QB or trade up for a QB.  I was hoping to see some aggression in moving up for a QB in the first round.  Now I think its just a matter of who falls to 9, if Fields is available i hope we dont pass.  If all that’s left for QB’s is Mac, please do pass.    

Having this newfound flexibility gives Paton the opportunity go best D player available (hell, best d player in the draft most likely), or fill the one glaring hole this offense has (besides QB) at right tackle.  

Personally, I’d address the right tackle position, unless Fields is there. I also dont want Parsons lol. If the RT position is stable, there’s no excuse for a starting QB to be worse than league average with the surrounding talent in Denver.  You’re protected, have elite weapons at all the skill positions, if you can’t make it happen with that setup you’re 100% not starting caliber at this level.  The QB evaluation is way easier.  All of that and you’ve still got all your picks in case it’s determined the farm should be sold for whatever QB forces their way out of their crappy situation next year (Wilson?)

• Like 1

Another argument for Fields is Teddy is probably good enough as the starter in this offense to take Denver completely out of the range to draft an upper tier QB next year.  Fields is there you’ve gotta grab em... still could see them passing.

• Like 2