Round 1 NFL Draft Discussion

zelbell

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

We needed help at S and CB.

JOK would have fortified the S group.

A #2cb who will alternate with our #1cb, or converge with him, in terms of availability plus an erstwhile #2cb who is unhealthy and was not that good when he was healthy is not my idea of a strong CB room.

I think your argument is valid because you think JOK is just head and shoulders a better prospect than Newsome.

Edited by Rod Johnson

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

A #2cb who will alternate with our #1cb, or converge with him, in terms of availability plus an erstwhile #2cb who is unhealthy and was not that good when he was healthy is not my idea of a strong CB room.

Still plenty of safeties to be had.  

It’s just one pick.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

We didn't need help at S.... we have 3 starters. We had one outside starter at cb and one inside guy. Cb was absolutely more of a need, but I think he is also bpa for the longhaul. Perfect marriage of both ideas.

1 minute ago, nugpimpen said:

We didn't need help at S.... we have 3 starters.

2 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

Cb was absolutely more of a need

Without a doubt. It was need-based selection.

2 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

I think he is also bpa for the longhaul.

Newsome, when he's on the field, will do a good job, but he will not make game-changing plays.

JOK would do a good job and make game-changing plays.

I was watching the PFF draft podcast.  They loved the pick.  Their highlight stat for Newsome II was that he had an 11% Completion rate allowed in single coverage in 2020 which was the best of all the CBs in the 2021 draft.

I know JOK is pretty well loved here, but Cris Collinsworth wondered what his position will be in the pros. (I know you move him like a chess piece.)