Round 1 NFL Draft Discussion

zelbell

2 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Somebody had mentioned being a little thrown off by the Steelers taking Najee Harris,

this was my favorite pick of the draft tbh.  Maybe he’s good for the, but with that aging roster and the holes they have on the OL to spend their premium asset of a RB is A-O-K by me.

2 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

but the real divisional pick that worries me is Oweh in Baltimore. If he’s their Danielle Hunter we’re really going to find out what Jed is made of.  

Meh, I guess.  I didn’t want him so I guess I can’t be upset just because they drafted him.

Jed just needs to do whatever every big 10 LT did last season and he’ll be fine.

14 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Paging dr @ditchdigger you have a phone call at the front desk. 

Sorry, was at work and spent most of the free time I had talking with my Bears/OSU fan coworker who was beyond excited. 

As was the case with Farley, Newsome just had to clear medicals to be a worthy selection. I honestly never expected him to be available at 26.  99% of the mocks I did had him gone by 21.

He's a plug and play outside corner in this defense, and there were only 4 of those in this draft with 3 being taken before 26.

We are lucky to get a player with his size, athleticism, ball skills and competitiveness at one of the 4 franchise building cornerstone positions.

• Like 3

Some reactions to non-Browns day one stuff:

Dave Gettleman is an idiot. Keeps letting his picks slip early, keeps getting jumped for them, and this time he was so blindsided by it that he traded down for the first time ever. And then he takes the closest version of who he wanted, despite having better WR's available who were different types of WRs. And that's from someone who would've be psyched to get Toney AT PICK 59! Not 20!

Great picks for SD, MINN, and (puke) BAL. Great move up for Chicago, I don't think their coaching staff is the best fit for bringing out Fields' full value, but I'm glad he's at an NFC team where I can cheer for him. Indy's organizational emphasis on character and versatility is an awesome fit for Paye. 

LVR as usual made me roll with laughter. Like 4 superior RTs on the board.
DAL taking an off-ball LB whose converage skills are questionable with MAJOR off-field/character concerns at 12 is dicey.
Jets moved up for a guy who (imo) is pretty dang close talent-wise to the guy taken at the spot they moved up from.
AZ keeps taking hybrid players and trying to put them into super vanilla roles (they tried to make Simmons a normal 3-4 ILB last year, quotes now say they're gonna do the same to Zaven). 
I like Jamin Davis a lot, but off-ball LB in the top 20 is gonna be a cringe pick to me as long as the run game is devalued the way it is these days.

17 minutes ago, FGK said:

Some reactions to non-Browns day one stuff:

Dave Gettleman is an idiot. Keeps letting his picks slip early, keeps getting jumped for them, and this time he was so blindsided by it that he traded down for the first time ever. And then he takes the closest version of who he wanted, despite having better WR's available who were different types of WRs. And that's from someone who would've be psyched to get Toney AT PICK 59! Not 20!

watching him goof things up is an annual enjoyment 

LVR as usual made me roll with laughter. Like 4 superior RTs on the board.

Jenkins would have been perfect.

AZ keeps taking hybrid players and trying to put them into super vanilla roles (they tried to make Simmons a normal 3-4 ILB last year, quotes now say they're gonna do the same to Zaven). 

It’s like they’re just collecting freaks without any idea as to what to do with them.

I like Jamin Davis a lot, but off-ball LB in the top 20 is gonna be a cringe pick to me as long as the run game is devalued the way it is these days.

I’m sure the Bucs were killing themselves for having Devin White in the Super Bowl.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Sorry, was at work and spent most of the free time I had talking with my Bears/OSU fan coworker who was beyond excited. 

As was the case with Farley, Newsome just had to clear medicals to be a worthy selection. I honestly never expected him to be available at 26.  99% of the mocks I did had him gone by 21.

He's a plug and play outside corner in this defense, and there were only 4 of those in this draft with 3 being taken before 26.

We are lucky to get a player with his size, athleticism, ball skills and competitiveness at one of the 4 franchise building cornerstone positions.

I agree with all this, but I was just paging you right after the Saints drafted Payton Turner in the first 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

I agree with all this, but I was just paging you right after the Saints drafted Payton Turner in the first 😉

Gotcha.

I was sad for me, but happy for him. Gets to take over Cam Jordan's role which is perfect for him. Love to see my children prosper.

20 hours ago, bruceb said:

We needed help at S and CB.

JOK would have fortified the S group.

A #2cb who will alternate with our #1cb, or converge with him, in terms of availability plus an erstwhile #2cb who is unhealthy and was not that good when he was healthy is not my idea of a strong CB room.

What if Berry thinks he could get both? What then?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

What if Berry thinks he could get both? What then?

Then he does it, which he did.

I thought CB had to be the target at #1, although I would have been happy with JOK.

As I see it, we basically got 2 R-1 picks, so far.