The 2021 Raider Draft Day Thread - Round 1 Chat

RaidersAreOne

Just now, NYRaider said:

CJ Henderson had a 22.5% missed tackle rate at Florida and people here were acting like he was undraftable because he didn't want to tackle. Yet paint Farley as a Demi-god when he had a 28% missed tackle rate at Virginia Tech.

Big difference. Henderson was soft and did not WANT to tackle. He was Deion Sanders and refused to tackle. He would hardly even attempt it. 

While Farley’s Run D isn’t great, he at least loves to try. 

And considering he’s a converted Wide Receiver, his tackling will keep getting better. It’s an experience issue. 

Henderson had no excuse. Always a poor tackler and always hated tackling. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, massraider said:

I love Phillips, but one thing I've learned looking into his injury history is that there is no way to know what's going on under the skull.  He might never get another concussion, but most agree/think that past concussions make a player prone to more.  He also had wrist and ankle surgeries.

Farley not playing, I get it, but if I was ranking them, I would say Phillips is more of a danger/unknown, in terms of injuries. 

Phillips was actually healthy last season though. Farley played with injuries in 2019 which caused him to miss the end of the season, led to an off-season surgery and then an additional surgery after sitting out in 2020. I also think it's important that CB's can tackle and Farley doesn't. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Big difference. Henderson was soft and did not WANT to tackle. He was Deion Sanders and refused to tackle. He would hardly even attempt it. 

While Farley’s Run D isn’t great, he at least loves to try. 

And considering he’s a converted Wide Receiver, his tackling will keep getting better. It’s an experience issue. 

Henderson had no excuse. Always a poor tackler and always hated tackling. 

Farley's missed tackle rate at Virginia Tech would've been the second worst in the NFL behind only Damon Arnette. 

4 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

So concussions are actually something I feel professionally quite capable of talking about as I work on a NeuroPsych unit. 

Concussions are no joke. The problem is that they’re additive. Each one significantly increases the likelihood of more occurring, regardless of time.

Phillips has had THREE concussions, 2 in college and 1 as a child (medically documented).  In college, the docs were concerned enough to “retire” him from football. That’s not a small thing...

he is literally one hit away from a permanent hiatus from football. This is not some fluke chance thing either. 

Well said. He was medically retired over them, which is absolutely huge. 

ONE, just ONE concussion in the NFL and he may be medically retired again. 

Farley won’t be medically retired if he tweaks his back again (even though I think his back will be totally fine). 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Farley's missed tackle rate at Virginia Tech would've been the second worst in the NFL behind only Damon Arnette. 

You’re literally just trolling at this point and it’s getting sad. Just said it’s an experience issue. How does projecting that % to the NFL refute that claim?

1 minute ago, massraider said:

Phillips or Farley is a swing for the fences.

I'd swing for the fences on a pass rusher. We saw last year how no OTA's effected all of the rookies, particularly CB's, even a guy like Okudah who was seen as a generational type talent struggled. If you take Farley you'd be doing so for long-term potential because he'll likely struggle being two years removed from football, potentially not even healthy by camp, in another covid year with limited OTAs. 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Leatherwood and Wyatt Davis will be the first two picks, leaving us Raider fans to drown in our own misery once again. 

I actually really like Davis and wouldn’t be that upset with him in the 2nd. Sucks we blew up the line...

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’re literally just trolling at this point and it’s getting sad. Just said it’s an experience issue. How does projecting that % to the NFL refute that claim?

So you expect him to be better at tackling after sitting out for a season, coming off of back surgery, in a year with limited OTA, etc? 

Just now, NYRaider said:

So you expect him to be better at tackling after sitting out for a season, coming off of back surgery, in a year with limited OTA, etc? 

I don’t expect him to get a ton better his rookie year, most rookie corners are meh. But it won’t be 27%. He has the entire off-season and Training Camp to learn from the best coaches in the world (NFL). Farley learns like a sponge and has only been playing corner two years like you said. Most corners have had their entire lives, 10+ years before college, to learn tackling. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t expect him to get a ton better his rookie year, most rookie corners are meh. But it won’t be 27%. He has the entire off-season and Training Camp to learn from the best coaches in the world (NFL). Farley learns like a sponge and has only been playing corner two years like you said. Most corners have had their entire lives, 10+ years before college, to learn tackling. 

IIRC he's not even going to be able to participate in OTA's (which will be digital) because he will be recovering from his back surgery. It's not even a guarantee that he's going to be healthy enough to play when training camp begins. How do you know Farley's ability to learn information? Did he miss VT's tackling drills. And if you agree that most rookie CB's are meh, how will he help us next season? Especially after not being able to workout with the team until training camp, if he's even healthy then...