2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

The other part that merits consideration - if Browning's light doesn't come on as a classic 3-4 ILB, he's gifted enough, he could be a blitz-heavy ILB/EDGE hybrid.    

Yeah, if he never figures out ILB, he still has a chance to make the pick worth it with the traits he has now as a chess piece + special teams potential. Just a fantastic pick to cap off a fantastic day. 

11 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Meinerz has 33” arms also same as Slater and Cosmi. Good size for inside 

Look at the length of this defence... Shelby Harris 6'2" (34 5/8 Arms, 90%), Simmons 6'2" (32 5/8 Arm, 86%), Kyle Fuller 6'0" (32 7/8 arm, 90%), Surtain II (32 1/2 Arm, 85%), Baron Browning 6' 2" (331/2 arms, 92%)...  Every one of these guys has elite length...  Those match zone windows under.that cover three shell are going to be very small...  Its going to smother offences and Miller and Chubb are going to be in their faces quick... This could be a special defence and it is being tailer made to fit Vics scheme...  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

In case ppl didn't pay attention - take a look at the FFMD Denver draft lol.

Javonte Williams as our 2nd pick (yes @BowserBroncos moved up there, it's a mock lol)

Meinerz as our end of Rd2 pick - so this IMO is amazing value.   The FFMD group was really ***ed we got Meinerz at 63.

Man I've picked Javonte and Quinn at FFMD because I loved them as prospect, but did not thought it could have been a reality.

What a night!

• Like 1

According to Daniel Jeremiah, we’ve picked the 9th (Surtain), 25th (Williams), 45th (Meinerz), and 65th (Browning) -best prospects in this draft. 

Dane Brugler has Surtain at 10, Williams at 41, Meinerz at 54, and Browning at 91. 

The talent level has been improved, no question about it. And it *really* looks like Paton is drafting with 2022 in mind, which again, is ideal planning. Fuller/Callahan, Gordon, Glasgow, and literally every LB except Chubb are questionable to be around after this season. But they’re all here now, so none of these rookies will be relied on to do any sort of heavy lifting. It all makes a pile of sense.

Besides the obvious elephant in the room.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

According to Daniel Jeremiah, we’ve picked the 9th (Surtain), 25th (Williams), 45th (Meinerz), and 65th (Browning) -best prospects in this draft. 

Dane Brugler has Surtain at 10, Williams at 41, Meinerz at 54, and Browning at 91. 

The talent level has been improved, no question about it. And it *really* looks like Paton is drafting with 2022 in mind, which again, is ideal planning. Fuller/Callahan, Gordon, Glasgow, and literally every LB except Chubb are questionable to be around after this season. But they’re all here now, so none of these rookies will be relied on to do any sort of heavy lifting. It all makes a pile of sense.

It does, they got help at nearly every level that they will have to replace after next year.

One guy I would love to see them target in the 4th or 5th is Shaun Wade. He is super versatile like Fangio likes and can be the guy who takes over for Kareem Jackson playing Nickel. 

Easy replacement with high upside that would only take a year of learning under Kareem and wouldn't cost much in terms of draft compensation. He can be a Nickel CB or a SS depending on the package

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

And we basically got our last two picks by trading out of 71.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

And we basically got our last two picks by trading out of 71.

Adebo, Milton Williams, and Ronnie Perkins are good players. I wouldn’t even consider trading Meinerz + Browning for any of them. 

And we also got pick 5.164 out of 3.71. Just a fantastic day for Paton. 

Maybe the Broncos can double down linebackers and land Jabril Cox too? They have plenty more picks and Desean Hamilton to trade. I'd like that competition. Let us not forget that Strand is will essentially be a rookie coming off the injury. 

22 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Adebo, Milton Williams, and Ronnie Perkins are good players. I wouldn’t even consider trading Meinerz + Browning for any of them. 

And we also got pick 5.164 out of 3.71. Just a fantastic day for Paton. 

Usually it seems we're watching a good GM from another team performing his magic on draft day and wondering "why can't we have one of those"?

I think we might finally have "one of those".

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Guess the crazy question is what ranking did Fields have ? 

I must say the IOL pick surprised me at first, but upon further reflection it makes sense. I think there is going to be a bunch of different combinations seen in Camp. Let's be honest - Cushenberry's rookie season was alarmingly poor and we are absolutely right to bring in competition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cush, Glasgow and Meinerz get snaps at Center in Camp. Glasgow isn't getting cut, so there is going to be some intense competition for roster spots if we get any UDFA gems.

Looking forward to seeing a top notch athlete get some time at ILB. We've not had that for a while. 

Are there any high ceiling IDL's out there? Really want to see us get a physical freak that is 290 - 310lbs on the DL. Take a punt. We are hella short on bodies on the DL right now, and relying on 3rd day picks to contribute is a concern.