2021 Broncos Draft Thread

15 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I must say the IOL pick surprised me at first, but upon further reflection it makes sense. I think there is going to be a bunch of different combinations seen in Camp. Let's be honest - Cushenberry's rookie season was alarmingly poor and we are absolutely right to bring in competition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cush, Glasgow and Meinerz get snaps at Center in Camp. Glasgow isn't getting cut, so there is going to be some intense competition for roster spots if we get any UDFA gems.

Looking forward to seeing a top notch athlete get some time at ILB. We've not had that for a while. 

Are there any high ceiling IDL's out there? Really want to see us get a physical freak that is 290 - 310lbs on the DL. Take a punt. We are hella short on bodies on the DL right now, and relying on 3rd day picks to contribute is a concern.

Good post, and I agree.

I really like all 4 of the players we took. Surtain was perfect value at 9 and then I think Williams, Meinerz and Browning could have all snuck in to the previous round and no one would have batted an eyelid.

BUT, we’ve left some pretty gaping holes on the roster. We’ve got 6 picks today but given all the extra eligibility years, we can’t really expect our four 6th/7th rounders plus any UDFA’s to be anything more than practice squad fodder.

So that leaves two 5th rounders plus any veteran pickups to fill the following roles:

- A freak athletic OT to work with Munchak and maybe replace James next year.

- Safety depth (Although I think Ojemudia could move to fill this)

- Maybe TE cover with Albert O coming off the ACL

- EDGE depth (I expect a vet pickup here to replace Attaochu’s role)

- DL depth (unless they really trust Jones and Agim to make the leap this year) 

30 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Are there any high ceiling IDL's out there? Really want to see us get a physical freak that is 290 - 310lbs on the DL. Take a punt. We are hella short on bodies on the DL right now, and relying on 3rd day picks to contribute is a concern.

Daviyon Nixon fits the bill. I wouldn't have been too upset to take him at 2.40. Was getting talked up into the top half of the first round around january but cooled off. Negatives are he wasn't originally academically eligible to play at Iowa so had to go the JUCO route first and only really showed out this season but the talent is clearly there.

Marvin Wilson doesn't have the athleticism of Nixon but he looked really good last year at FSU. Didn't look like the same guy this year at all though, but that team really wasn't very good in general. Worth at shot in the 5th+ potentially.

• Like 1

Other guys to target on day 3...

Edge rushers: Quincy Roche-not the biggest but can come in and rush the passer, Chris Rumph-also small but twitchy and has been great the past two seasons at Duke, Elerson Smith-small school guy but athletic freak, Janarius Robinson-insane size/length.

DT: Already mentioned Nixon enough, Wilson above as well, rest are mostly run stuffers in Shelvin/Togai/Tufele. Darius Stills has a little upside.

ILB: Still value to be had, McGrone as mentioned as well as Cox, Dylan Moses had a pretty mediocre year coming back from injury but has the tools, Nick Niemann out of Iowa showed off pretty good athleticism at his pro day and had a good year.

S: Caden Sterns, Jamar Johnson and Ar'darius Washington are probably my favorites left. Nasirildeen is probably more LB tbh but I like him as well.

FWIW I was trolling the Lions board and was surprised to see our draft mentioned by a couple of their posters,  They felt we were doing real good - a few were upset we took Browning.  I got to say we nailed day 2!  Funny I had been just talking about Meinerz with my son telling him how he was such a great guest on Good Morning Football that they made him the draft mascot so to speak and and he became a GMFB regular.   Just a great, honest, enthusiastic kid.  Really glad we are continuing to get players with character.  We really nailed day 2 man.  I am so happy!     

56 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

FWIW I was trolling the Lions board and was surprised to see our draft mentioned by a couple of their posters,  They felt we were doing real good - a few were upset we took Browning.  I got to say we nailed day 2!  Funny I had been just talking about Meinerz with my son telling him how he was such a great guest on Good Morning Football that they made him the draft mascot so to speak and and he became a GMFB regular.   Just a great, honest, enthusiastic kid.  Really glad we are continuing to get players with character.  We really nailed day 2 man.  I am so happy!     

Hey everyone.

I was quite busy between 2017-2020 while finishing graduate school, so my somewhat regular posts in years before necessarily had to wane.

I have kept reading our forum regularly, though. As has been the case since 2008.

I absolutely agree with your post here.

This draft class has me very excited.

I cannot say that I was not surprised when Paton let Fields fall out of the top-10, but each and every prospect in isolation can be considered a very quality pick-up for the team. The context necessary to fully assess this Broncos draft class will not fully be established before June 1st, so up until then I will reserve final judgement. For now, still, it is good to see the 2018 turnaround of yearly draft class quality to continue under the new FO. 

On to day 3.

• Like 3

If Paton is to be taken at his word and that he’s not just after the fact making the decisions made sound good then he has been masterful in maneuvering this draft.

I believe going into the 2nd round he said there were 4 prospects left they had 1st round grades on and 8 total they were willing to take at 40.  They moved up for Williams who I would guess Denver had a 1st round grade on.

At 71 he said they had 6 players they were willing to take at 71 and the teams top 2 targets at that selection were Meinerz and Browning.  He said the team decided to move back 27 spots with the expectation 1 of the 6 at 71 would be there.  They moved back and acquired 98 and 105 and selected the top 2 players on their board when the team still owned pick 71, according to Paton.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'd just draft guys with the strange names today.  Which will including mostly USC guys.  

I would be cool to have a German-American on the Broncos. He would be better than Hamilton too.

Edited by BroncoinGermany
23 minutes ago, germ-x said:

If Paton is to be taken at his word and that he’s not just after the fact making the decisions made sound good then he has been masterful in maneuvering this draft.

I believe going into the 2nd round he said there were 4 prospects left they had 1st round grades on and 8 total they were willing to take at 40.  They moved up for Williams who I would guess Denver had a 1st round grade on.

At 71 he said they had 6 players they were willing to take at 71 and the teams top 2 targets at that selection were Meinerz and Browning.  He said the team decided to move back 27 spots with the expectation 1 of the 6 at 71 would be there.  They moved back and acquired 98 and 105 and selected the top 2 players on their board when the team still owned pick 71, according to Paton.

Usually you can take that kind of thing with a grain of salt but I buy this. It was a weird run of players in the third round, and even the good value picks came at positions the Broncos didn’t need to address. Just a great move. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I must say the IOL pick surprised me at first, but upon further reflection it makes sense. I think there is going to be a bunch of different combinations seen in Camp. Let's be honest - Cushenberry's rookie season was alarmingly poor and we are absolutely right to bring in competition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cush, Glasgow and Meinerz get snaps at Center in Camp. Glasgow isn't getting cut, so there is going to be some intense competition for roster spots if we get any UDFA gems.

Anyone else starting to wonder if Dalton Risner is the backup OT?  Ja’Wuan James is such a question mark at RT, and yet we seem to be in no rush to acquire any kind of backup plan. Just a guess, but I’m thinking Paton/Fangio are planning for Risner to be that. 

For freak IDL’s, you’re looking for Bobby Brown out of Texas A&M. Ran 5 flat with a 1.68 10-yard split at 320+ lbs. 34.75” arms. Doesn’t turn 21 until August. Ta’Quon Graham out of Texas is another option. 4.88 with a 1.67 split at 292 lbs. CWO has me filtering these guys by arm length which is why I think he’s a potential target, with his 35” limbs. Jonathan Marshall out of Arkansas is another phenomenal athlete, but his 32.25” arms might disqualify him.

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

He was my favorite player in the draft. I happened to catch 2 UNC games this year before I even knew who he was and he dominated both games.  

That’s back to back years we’ve drafted one of my favorites in the class.  Last year it was KJ Hamler.