2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Usually you can take that kind of thing with a grain of salt but I buy this. It was a weird run of players in the third round, and even the good value picks came at positions the Broncos didn’t need to address. Just a great move. 

The TE run was mind boggling.  It’s a meh class after Pitts.  Need based drafting  imo.  

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

He was my favorite player in the draft. I happened to catch 2 UNC games this year before I even knew who he was and he dominated both games.  

That’s back to back years we’ve drafted one of my favorites in the class.  Last year it was KJ Hamler.

We moved up to get Williams in FFMD because he really is a 3-down bellcow.  With low tread on the tires.  

Ppl will point to his 40 time.  It’s such a poor measure.  His contact balance, explosion, soft hands and blocking are all off the charts.   I think he would have been there at 2.40 but after watching Elway pass on Akers Rd2 last year, Williams was the last of the 3 do-it-all RB’s.  So I don’t blame Paton at all especially since he was committed to regaining value by moving back from 71 2x. If you weren’t going there with J-Williams - waiting to Rd4-5 was the only play.  Given MG3 is done after this year I totally get it - why I pushed for it with @BowserBroncos in FFMD.  

Could not be more excited for Day 2 - as disappointed as I was with Day 1 (Fields or trade back and get the extra 2022 1st to give us poor position for QB), Day 2 could not have gone any better. 

Edited by Broncofan

First time posting since R1, and I couldnt be happier with Day 2. 

I believe Williams was, by a good margin, the best RB in this draft class. Full toolset for a bell cow, 3 down back; homerun ability, tackle breaking ability, can run inside and outside, excellent pass catcher, excellent pass blocker, low tread on the tires. Just a great pick and moving up for a RB is generally something I am against, but this team, due to the past few excellent drafts, was in a position talent wise that allowed them to use an early pick on a RB. And, to me, Williams is a pretty clear BPA at that spot as well. 

The trade flurry in R3 is exactly what I want from a GM. Risky, smart, aggressive. And we ended up with two players that had R2 grades from many, many outlets. Baron isnt as twitchy as Jabril, but much tougher, disciplined and a far better tackler. Looks like we didnt feel the need for a hybrid but wanted a true 3 down ILB. Also, something we dont know may be going on with Jabril. Kid is too talented to fall to R4 w/o some undercover red flags. 

I was disappointed in not getting value out of #9, but other than that the offseason Paton has put together from FA to resigning's to everything outside the 1st day of the draft has been a clear, unequivocal A+ in my eyes. 

If Mike M wants a ball of clay D'Ante Smith is a guy we should look at. Needs to hit the weights, hard, but 6'5 with 35" arms and excellent athleticism.  

I have liked Talanoa Hufanga for a while and think he could fall to R5. His athletic concerns are way overblown IMO. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

First time posting since R1, and I couldnt be happier with Day 2. 

I believe Williams was, by a good margin, the best RB in this draft class. Full toolset for a bell cow, 3 down back; homerun ability, tackle breaking ability, can run inside and outside, excellent pass catcher, excellent pass blocker, low tread on the tires. Just a great pick and moving up for a RB is generally something I am against, but this team, due to the past few excellent drafts, was in a position talent wise that allowed them to use an early pick on a RB. And, to me, Williams is a pretty clear BPA at that spot as well. 

The trade flurry in R3 is exactly what I want from a GM. Risky, smart, aggressive. And we ended up with two players that had R2 grades from many, many outlets. Baron isnt as twitchy as Jabril, but much tougher, disciplined and a far better tackler. Looks like we didnt feel the need for a hybrid but wanted a true 3 down ILB. Also, something we dont know may be going on with Jabril. Kid is too talented to fall to R4 w/o some undercover red flags. 

I was disappointed in not getting value out of #9, but other than that the offseason Paton has put together from FA to resigning's to everything outside the 1st day of the draft has been a clear, unequivocal A+ in my eyes. 

If Mike M wants a ball of clay D'Ante Smith is a guy we should look at. Needs to hit the weights, hard, but 6'5 with 35" arms and excellent athleticism.  

I have liked Talanoa Hufanga for a while and think he could fall to R5. His athletic concerns are way overblown IMO. 

To be fair, they did get a hybrid...but a hybrid LB/EDGE. I think there’s a chance Browning ends up an edge rusher. If the instincts at LB don’t develop, he has the tools to make it as an EDGE in my opinion. Just excited to see what Fangio can do with him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Would love to move back into the 4th for DT Daviyon Nixon or even OT James Hudson, need some more help in the trenches IMO.

Both would be fantastic picks.  Since I went JOK with my trade back in Rd1 in the GM game I’d certainly have popped Nixon 3.105. 

• Like 1

Day 2 of the draft was an absolute home run. Denver had a terrific draft, though obviously the decision to pass on Justin Fields will be what linger over this draft class - good or bad. 

When purely looking at who we got though, it's hard not to be happy with the caliber of player. Surtain was clearly head and shoulders above other defensive players on our board, and you can see that in how Paton and Fangio talk about him. I like Jaycee Horn quite a bit, but I am very happy that we landed Surtain, who I guarantee will get substantial playing time this year. He's too good not to.

Javonte is an absolute animal. I am over the moon about that pick. I understand RB is devalued, but the best RBs in the league were by and large picks in Rounds 1 and 2. Williams has low tread and is a true 3-down back, which Paton clearly values (Cook, AP). Huge get for us and I expect he'll be the started by Week 8 or sooner.

Love Quinn Meiner. It's hard not to. Great story, kid clearly loves football and welcomes the grind. I think he'll be a good one, whether it's at guard or center. Never a bad thing to have IOL versatility.

Browning is a tremendous athlete at LB, just hasn't completely put it together consistently. Fangio should be able to coax the most out of him, and he was a great get at the end of R3.

Paton had a great day yesterday IMO. The trade back from 76 to 98 while also picking up another 3rd was highway robbery and was a brilliant move. Even with the trade up in R2, we ended up netting picks in return. The 'more darts' approach will be an entertaining one on draft weekend if nothing else.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'd just draft guys with the strange names today.  Which will including mostly USC guys.  

lmao......when the Lions took cb Ifeatu Melifonwu my son commented that it was a great pick and that he would have loved him in Denver but he's had enough of some of the names like our O guys - TE and CB.  He's kidding of course as he knows how sensitive I am to names.  I'm Italian with an unusual name who grew up in a white upper middle class neighborhood.  Man did I get teased - I basically hate white people now - lol

Edited by anewdawn
correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

We moved up to get Williams in FFMD because he really is a 3-down bellcow.  With low tread on the tires.  

Ppl will point to his 40 time.  It’s such a poor measure.  His contact balance, explosion, soft hands and blocking are all off the charts.   I think he would have been there at 2.40 but after watching Elway pass on Akers Rd2 last year, Williams was the last of the 3 do-it-all RB’s.  So I don’t blame Paton at all especially since he was committed to regaining value by moving back from 71 2x. If you weren’t going there with J-Williams - waiting to Rd4-5 was the only play.  Given MG3 is done after this year I totally get it - why I pushed for it with @BowserBroncos in FFMD.  

Could not be more excited for Day 2 - as disappointed as I was with Day 1 (Fields or trade back and get the extra 2022 1st to give us poor position for QB), Day 2 could not have gone any better. 

So agree.  He is explosive and quick off the get go.  Will agree that he doesn't have long speed (he does get run down) but I see many many 30-50 yard runs out of this guy.  He was my second favourite back behind Najee

The running back “devalue” thing I think has gone too far. Don’t take a RB in the first round and most importantly a high value pick towards the top. Otherwise it’s a position where you need talent and they can make a team significantly better. The bottom line is we haven’t had a STUD at RB in a long time. Hopefully this dude is that guy 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The running back “devalue” thing I think has gone too far. Don’t take a RB in the first round and most importantly a high value pick towards the top. Otherwise it’s a position where you need talent and they can make a team significantly better. The bottom line is we haven’t had a STUD at RB in a long time. Hopefully this dude is that guy 

Agreed. Taking a RB top 20 yeah probably not a lot of value and nor is paying a RB like Kamara and Elliot but taking one in the 2nd is fine. I think the RB hate has gotten to be ridiculous, used to be don’t pay RBs later in career, then it was don’t pay RBs, now it’s somehow morphed into don’t take RBs.

Would I pay a RB $14M a season is a different question.

12 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The 2nd round is now the sweet spot for elite level RB.  J-Taylor Akers Dobbins last year.  J-Williams this year.   

Don’t spend a R2 pick if the RB can’t be a 3-down bellcow.  But if they are the R2 pick price is fine.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Agreed. Taking a RB top 20 yeah probably not a lot of value and nor is paying a RB like Kamara and Elliot but taking one in the 2nd is fine. I think the RB hate has gotten to be ridiculous, used to be don’t pay RBs later in career, then it was don’t pay RBs, now it’s somehow morphed into don’t take RBs.

Would I pay a RB $14M a season is a different question.

Agreed.  Unless you get an elite HoF level talent the mercenary approach of drafting a RB every 2-3 years so you aren’t forced to pay the huge contacts is a market winning strategy.  

It’s why I pushed hard for Akers last year in my mocks.   This is just as good - draft capital with Rd2 is fine.  Paying 2nd contracts is a tough prop unless you are mega elite and even then it’s iffy.  But a R2 pick isn’t even close to the same cost.  

Edited by Broncofan

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2021/01/23/2021-draft-class-ras/

Big Board-Looking at Relative Athletic Scores at positions of potential need and best available.

OT Doyle (Miami OH) 9.9 (may be OG), Landon Young (UK) 9.18, Dan Moore (TA&M) 8.98

DE Kaindoh (FSU) 9.59, Toney (PSU) 9.47, Robinson (FSU) 9.33, Bradley-King (Baylor) 9.18

DT: Marshall (Arkansas) 9.99, Brown (TA&MU) 9.82, Togai (The OSU) 8.58, Nixon (Iowa) 8.38, D Stills (WVU) 8.16

Safety Coyle (Purdue SS) 9.83, Wiggins (Cincy FS) 9.7, Forrest (Cincy FS) 9.69, Sterns (Texas FS) 9.59

I am interested in Doyle, Toney, any of the DT and Wiggins at this point.

Came up with the idea from an article talking about how this seems to be an emphasis in our draft strategy

• Like 1