2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

21 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

It seems there are rumours that Paton didn’t take Fields because he expected a deal for Rodgers. 

If that is the case then it is poor judgement from him - you only decide not to draft Fields if you have Rodgers in the bag.

As the saying goes - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I just don't buy this at all the Rodgers news came out that day and the way Paton was talking about having a no contact rule with Surtain to disguise their interest in him you can tell that he has been the target for  9 all along when and if he fell. I genuinely believe he was considered a blue chip prospect for him. 

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think thats where the disagreement is. We had lot's more issues to be resolved, like at CB for one. We had almost no talent at the position either. We had serious depth issues across the board.

QB was an is an issue, yes, but by no means the only one.

Personally I love the additions in the secondary. Between FA and the draft we have 3 new CB's on the roster, all of them better than last years starters. Added a good young slot CB and two promising safeties. What better additions can you have in a pass happy AFC West.

I get qb has a bigger impact than any other position I can't argue it. But just because they have a bigger impact doesn't mean that evaluating them should overtake taking bpa if there's a significant difference which I believe there was with the grades of Surtain to fields. 

The qb denver would of taken at 9 if he fell was Lance which I respect. Paton all along wanted qb competition only if it made sense a true upgrade over Lock or in case of bridgewater he's an experienced veteran and he came cheap at the cost of a 6th round pick.

7 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

So Jaelen Phillips was who Paton wanted to move up for if he got to the 20’s. Interesting. 

I saw this yesterday and it gave me pause. I would not have thought this was the direction we'd go, but it does say something about our future at OLB given Miller/Chubb's contracts in the next year.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I saw this yesterday and it gave me pause. I would not have thought this was the direction we'd go, but it does say something about our future at OLB given Miller/Chubb's contracts in the next year.

He already semi retired in college due to concussions so I'm glad that he didn't fall

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Realistically only 1 of those 2 guys are coming back given the $$ outlay.   Not sure I'd want to have spent up on Phillips, though.   

The fallout if we get A-Rod, though - Denver becomes an attractive destination for FA's.    Yes, we need EDGE long-term,  but the paths open up in multiple ways if you get the marquee QB.

• Like 1

While Phillips himself did give me pause, I’m mildly surprised that we didn’t address edge until the 7th round.

I expect Von to walk after this season. Chubb will be on his option year in 2022 and hopefully we do get a long term deal done, but I don’t think Malik Reed has proven himself to be anything more than a backup/rotational piece and Jeremiah Attaochu’s valuable snaps and locker room contribution has not been replaced (I guess the hope is that Reed can take the step into 3rd OLB this year and then young guys like Tuszka and Cooper can compete for backup/special teams roles on the 53)

EDGE is already looking like a crucial need next offseason if Miller does indeed walk. 

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

While Phillips himself did give me pause, I’m mildly surprised that we didn’t address edge until the 7th round.

I expect Von to walk after this season. Chubb will be on his option year in 2022 and hopefully we do get a long term deal done, but I don’t think Malik Reed has proven himself to be anything more than a backup/rotational piece and Jeremiah Attaochu’s valuable snaps and locker room contribution has not been replaced (I guess the hope is that Reed can take the step into 3rd OLB this year and then young guys like Tuszka and Cooper can compete for backup/special teams roles on the 53)

EDGE is already looking like a crucial need next offseason if Miller does indeed walk. 

Von isn’t going anywhere if we land Rodgers. Hell stick around for another ring and retire a Bronco. He remembers the good ole days with Peyton and being a big star, he‘a made his money. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The lack of interior DL on the roster is a big concern for me. Shout-out to 101 who called the lack of top end IDL talent.

Look forward to seeing the young lads in preseason

I like the Javonte pick, but dang, Christian Barmore would’ve filled an equal-sized, but more important need. Unless Paton/Vic are really bullish on Jones and Agim.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Von isn’t going anywhere if we land Rodgers. Hell stick around for another ring and retire a Bronco. He remembers the good ole days with Peyton and being a big star, he‘a made his money. 

I agree - and will probably be willing to give a home town discount in the process given that the Broncos picked up the option year on his contract.

I'm not gonna lie for them to not take a qb the draft had to be special and I think it was. 

I had first round grades on our first two picks and the second two probably had round two grades. Honestly, this is probably a better draft than Elways inaugural one which speaks volumes.

I dont know if its been touched on yet, but watching Surtain highlights--he looks like Champ Bailey. He is taller, long arms and really smooth with his hips being able to turn and get PBUs/INTs. Even his mannerisms remind me of Champ. He even wears the same helmet/visor combo lol

Has anybody made that connection or am I being crazy lol 

56 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont know if its been touched on yet, but watching Surtain highlights--he looks like Champ Bailey. He is taller, long arms and really smooth with his hips being able to turn and get PBUs/INTs. Even his mannerisms remind me of Champ. He even wears the same helmet/visor combo lol

Nah, it's not crazy at all. Surtain is a special player, there's no doubt about it.

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Mannerisms and relative style, I can see it. But comparing anyone who isn't an athletic marvel to Champ is setting them up for disappointment. Champ ran a 4.28 40, and had a 3.79 second shuttle at the combine. That's INSANE and what really helped Champ be the HOF corner he was. Not to say PS2 wont/cant be great, but that's an extremely high bar. 

• Like 1