2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Yep. I remember lots of fierce debate on here once upon a time as to whether Champ was better than Nnamdi Asomugha. Still find that laughable. Champ was one of a kind. Wish he could've gotten that ring.

Nnamdi was a great press man guy but he really benefitted in some ways from playing on crappy defenses that never gave teams a reason to test him. He was completely toast at 31 too. Champ played great football through 34. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

On 5/8/2021 at 12:41 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Nnamdi was a great press man guy but he really benefitted in some ways from playing on crappy defenses that never gave teams a reason to test him. He was completely toast at 31 too. Champ played great football through 34. 

I will go to the grave saying that I never understood the Nnamdi hyper at the time and still don't. I think he is the most overrated player ever.

He was good, but he was good for like...2 years. He was garbage for his first few years in the Raiders, put it together for a season or two and then went back to being garbage on the Eagles.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

Champ was so good, man. I think people are actually wrong when they talk about his technique being textbook - it was probably the opposite. 

That sideways running style with him peeking the QB was just crazy. To not backpedal square to your WR relies on 99th percentile athleticism; safe to say Champ had that.

Simply amazing player.

It was fun watching him and Darrent Williams together - so much athleticism on the outside. Such a shame they were flanked by the Brown-cos rushing defense for all those years. I still have nightmares of Darren LT, McFadden and Jamaal Charles running rampant for career days against us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

It was fun watching him and Darrent Williams together - so much athleticism on the outside. Such a shame they were flanked by the Brown-cos rushing defense for all those years. I still have nightmares of Darren LT, McFadden and Jamaal Charles running rampant for career days against us.

Was watching some 2008 Broncos games on YouTube, when it looked like Cutler was on the verge of becoming something. Everyone in the defensive starting lineup but Champ Bailey and DJ Williams brought back awful memories.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

It's kind of amazing some of the defensive players we used to talk ourselves into in the early days of this forum. Dewayne Robertson felt like a massive move, things were that dire at defensive tackle.

You got me laughing a bit, feeling a bit older too. You wouldn't believe some of the players I've had to do that with since 1963. Then after about game 4 it was always " yeah, but just wait until next year".

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Funny we went from the Brown-cos to Patriots-West.

Remember Jarvis Green, Laurence Maroney, LaMont Jordan, Jabar Gaffney, Ty Law, Lonnie Paxton, Chevis Jackson, Louis Leonard... wow that was an ugly roster. 

One thing that’s a bit concerning about the early days of the Paton era is how many ex-Vikings are on our roster. Teddy Bridgewater, Mike Boone, Shamar Stephen all brought across in recent months. Trying to replicate the roster of previous employers has led to many a coach and GM being fired after 2-3 seasons.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

One thing that’s a bit concerning about the early days of the Paton era is how many ex-Vikings are on our roster. Teddy Bridgewater, Mike Boone, Shamar Stephen all brought across in recent months. Trying to replicate the roster of previous employers has led to many a coach and GM being fired after 2-3 seasons.

The big difference is that those guys are depth signings and nothing more. Plus, Teddy is a one-year guy (you would think), Boone is actually a very good ST guy. Shamar Stephen is pure depth. That's much less concerning to me than what we've done in the past. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Funny we went from the Brown-cos to Patriots-West.

Remember Jarvis Green, Laurence Maroney, LaMont Jordan, Jabar Gaffney, Ty Law, Lonnie Paxton, Chevis Jackson, Louis Leonard... wow that was an ugly roster. 

i will never forget the day we traded for the patriots long snapper. lmfao 

• Like 7

My favourite Asomugha memory was during a Jay Cutler press meeting on like Thursday of a Raider gameweek, and a Broncos beat writer was struggling to say his surname.

Cutler, with the most ridiculous level of confidence and swagger, steps in and tells the beat writer that it is "Az-zo-moo-way". Quite possibly the worst pronunciation in Nnamdi's lifetime.

He even gave it that cocky eye roll when he said it. Amazing.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 4