Pick 1 (10th OVR)- DeVonta Smith, WR

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Kadarius Toney + the Bears 2022 1st round pick + plus change

>>>

Devonta Smith

On behalf of Giants fans, a sincere thank you.  The Giants got tremendous value for that #11 pick and I’m absolutely delighted 

Only a giants fan can be happy about trading back and taking a WR with a 2nd-3rd round grade at #20. The 2022 1st rounder is nice though. 

Go Birds

MC

devonta-smith-feature-inline.jpg

There were some posters in the Giants forum that were high on Smith (@minutemancl most notably).  I was not one of them.  I think you can have success in college being this thin, but the NFL is a different story.  Smith is a severe outlier in terms of weight.  Just to put it into perspective, Jamar Chase outweighs him by almost 40 pounds at the same height!  That's crazy.  He makes Desean Jackson look like a body builder.

Just now, Gmen said:

There were some posters in the Giants forum that were high on Smith (@minutemancl most notably).  I was not one of them.  I think you can have success in college being this thin, but the NFL is a different story.  Smith is a severe outlier in terms of weight.  Just to put it into perspective, Jamar Chase outweighs him by almost 40 pounds at the same height!  That's crazy.  He makes Desean Jackson look like a body builder.

But the NFL doesn't allow hitting of WR and QBs anymore.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Okay guys, I admittedly don't watch a whole lot of college football. I understand the dude racked up crazy stats and won the Heisman. So, I'm going strictly off youtube highlights here. It appears to me that 80% of the balls he caught were absurdly wide open and/or screens with great blocking. What plays are jumping out that make you say "OMG this kid is different"? Because I'm not seeing it.

Without going into a full breakdown.

+ Route Running

+ Positioning

+ Hands

He has good vision for a wideout and through various stories he seems like he grinds the tape. Was that one story where he’d call out what the defense was doing every play.

I think Howie and co probably really liked his direct focus and steady calm demeanor too.

Obviously the size is a concern. But he knew how to play with it well at Bama against guys he’s going to continue to play against on Sundays. He has enough speed to compensate.

If Sirianni and the staff are going to build the offense like they said (around the players) Smith becomes a great piece to move around, and in a different way that Reagor. He can be a Z, you can do some quick stuff underneath, he has the speed and route running to get past guys on the edge in a 1on1. And he has the brains and vision to deal with zone defenses.

I don’t think it’ll be his fault if he’s not a great player here. Wether that be injuries or QB / the staff being terrible at their jobs.

10 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I think it’s going to be a trend that continues. Weights seem down in a lot of positions. Guys preferring to be more lean and faster.

I don’t think it matters much, DBs get 5 yards to touch him then they’ll get flagged. He’s fast enough in/out of his routes and downfield that he can make up for it. Has the vision to get around guys and through zones.

But yeah I’m curious how a matchup with like Jalen Ramsey would go. Most corners don’t have the body and speed, those unicorns could be an issue for him...but those guys are very rare and are an issue for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Desean and him were the same weight there rookie years so.... kind of a bad comparison if you are saying you can’t play at that weight. He has the frame to add weight as well so it’s not like he will always be this thin. I’ll believe in the skill set to translate more than a single trait that can change over time. 

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Came to a great city with even better food. He'll be fine. Everyone's overreacting to this weight. The rules nowadays help him even more so now

10 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Desean and him were the same weight there rookie years so.... kind of a bad comparison if you are saying you can’t play at that weight. He has the frame to add weight as well so it’s not like he will always be this thin. I’ll believe in the skill set to translate more than a single trait that can change over time. 

I'm not saying he can't play at that weight.  Robbie Anderson is that thin (albeit 2 inches taller), and has carved out a niche.  It's just hard to imagine him running a slant in the middle of the field into traffic.  Landon Collins would send him into the upside down (Stranger Things reference)

2 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Okay guys, I admittedly don't watch a whole lot of college football. I understand the dude racked up crazy stats and won the Heisman. So, I'm going strictly off youtube highlights here. It appears to me that 80% of the balls he caught were absurdly wide open and/or screens with great blocking. What plays are jumping out that make you say "OMG this kid is different"? Because I'm not seeing it.

How do you think he got absurdly wide open?

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

Kadarius Toney + the Bears 2022 1st round pick + plus change

>>>

Devonta Smith

On behalf of Giants fans, a sincere thank you.  The Giants got tremendous value for that #11 pick and I’m absolutely delighted 

Eagles also traded back, got an extra 1st and the better player at the same position.

Basketball Wives Reality Tv GIF by VH1

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Eagles also traded back, got an extra 1st and the better player at the same position.

Basketball Wives Reality Tv GIF by VH1

I would rather have Devonta and a first next year than Waddle at 6 straight up. Eagles played the first round like a fiddle, Giants are just living in Howie’s world...

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I would rather have Devonta and a first next year than Waddle at 6th straight up. Eagles played the first round like a fiddle, Giants are just living in Howie’s world...

That’s what does it for me. Smith and a 1st is just about 99% better than any one 1st round prospect last night.