β€‹πŸ¦…β€‹ 2021 Eagles Draft Thread β€‹πŸ¦…β€‹ | A FOOTBALL DUDEZ DRAFT

Kiltman

42 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, Spadaro and Caplan both said its gonna be a bit more multiple and aggressive.Β 

We might actually disguise some stuff, do some interesting blitz packages and not just put everything on the DL getting to the QB like Schwartz did which is pretty silly in todays NFL with how fast guys can get the ball out and how many good receivers teams have and how a lot of these mobile QBs can escape good pressure even if you get it there.

God... I'm so happy Schwartz is gone. Even Doug was super vanilla too.Β 

But, yeah like I said the other day Spadaro said in one of the draft segments yesterday that Gannon and the Eagles are keeping what they'll run close to vest, so we kinda are left to just contemplate what that might be based on his influences from different coaches he's worked under, but I'm sure he's not gonna run a carbon copy of either. It would be nice to know more about what they'll run, but not showing or telling does kinda provide them with an advantage to start at least, so I get it. It just sucks for the people who are covering the team and the fans who are this deeply invested like us lol.

Yeah I'm like obsessed with plugging guys into my mental defensive depth chart in my head haha. We'll find out soon enough. Hopefully we'll have some spring practice stuff to get some tangible information from.

Β 

Draft picks

Β 

Day 1 grade:Β A

Day 2 grade:Β A-

Day 3 grade:Β A

Β 

Analysis:Β The Eagles became the first team in 16 years to use back-to-back first-round selections on receivers when theyΒ traded up two spotsΒ to pick Smith (they selectedΒ Jalen ReagorΒ 21st overall last April). Smith is an outstanding talent who could very well prove worthy of sending their division-rival Cowboys a third-rounder for the two-spot swap. Dickerson was selected as a guard and could be centerΒ Jason Kelce’s replacement in a year or two, though his injury history made him a bit of a risk as a top-40 pick. Williams’ athleticism had earned him a spot in the third round. He'll give Philly some needed depth at defensive tackle.

Β 

They found the nickel corner they needed in McPhearson early in the fourth, then found value in the fifth round with a slasher, dual-threat back in Gainwell.Β Trading sixth- and seventh-round picksΒ this year to Washington for a fifth next year was shrewd, if for no other reason than the fifth-rounder will play as a better trading chip if they need to make another move down the road. WithΒ Josh SweatΒ andΒ Derek BarnettΒ set to hit free agency soon, they were smart to nab Jackson in the sixth round. Stevens is a strong tackler and leader who could play linebacker or safety in the NFL.

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Not sure Zech is being looked at as a nickel corner.

I agree. I think he'll definitely get to compete for a job on the outside.Β 

But, at the same time.... do we really have a choice?

We really don't have anything on the outside. Craig James?Β  Lavert Hill? Shakial Taylor? Michael Jaquet?

I swear do not put Maddox there again smh. Let him compete inside for the job with whoever.

We need to bring in a veteran corner like Heyward, Nelson, etc if possible.Β 

Β 

32 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We really don't have anything on the outside. Craig James?Β  Lavert Hill? Shakial Taylor? Michael Jaquet?

I swear do not put Maddox there again smh. Let him compete inside for the job with whoever.

Β 

Theoretically it becomes easier for Maddox outside now. Jim left them on islands. Constant cover from the safeties would help. But still not ideal. Because he’s not going to really do much what you want out of those guys.

45 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Theoretically it becomes easier for Maddox outside now. Jim left them on islands. Constant cover from the safeties would help. But still not ideal. Because he’s not going to really do much what you want out of those guys.

Maddox is too short for a lot of outside receivers and he doesn't get hands on guys and panics.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Β 

Yeah I just don't see the point of drafting a guy who has the ability and the history of playing on the outside in college and then switching him to the slot unless he's like 5'9 like Maddox. Let this dude compete for CB2.

• Like 1

β€œSomething I want to point out as well that Howie Roseman did here. I don’t know that you’re gonna find 3 picks in the first three [selections] that have higher football character in any draft. So I mean these guys care a lot about Β football and that’s something that needs to be said as well. All talented but I mean they care a lot about ball.”

- Lance Zierlein on the Eagles draftΒ 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Β 

If Jacquet sees our football field at outside corner for any meaningful snaps everyone should be fired

8 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

β€œSomething I want to point out as well that Howie Roseman did here. I don’t know that you’re gonna find 3 picks in the first three [selections] that have higher football character in any draft. So I mean these guys care a lot about Β football and that’s something that needs to be said as well. All talented but I mean they care a lot about ball.”

- Lance Zierlein on the Eagles draftΒ 

I feel like we've always targeted high football character guys.Β 

5 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I feel like we've always targeted high football character guys.Β 

It seems to be a rabbit they have been chasing ever since Fireman Danny and some of the duds of the 2000s.
With slightly different slants to it since then.

Producers, just high character, coach's kid, team captains and now "competitive".
Seem to just flip back and forth year to year.

I also don't get why it's seen as some new thing every year.