β€‹πŸ¦…β€‹ 2021 Eagles Draft Thread β€‹πŸ¦…β€‹ | A FOOTBALL DUDEZ DRAFT

Kiltman

24 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm aware. You've told us already. Like @DangerΒ I would have been happy for you, but all my support is behind Milton now, especially after how the media and fans did him after the Donahoe video.

I support Milton, but go ahead and name 1 good DT with 31.5" arms that's currently playing. He facing an uphill battle on the road to being a quality starting DT. I don't think Alim was really anything special either, but at least he had 32 5/8" arms, and a pretty solid pro day himself for a 317 lb man. I think Donahue was right on this one, but ultimately won't surprise me if neither guy ends up starting. Hopefully Milton bucks the trend of T-rex DT's doing nothing besides run plugging in the NFL, but that's not very likely. He's probably just a more nimble PJ Hall.

Edited by Jeezla

18 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I support Milton, but go ahead and name 1 good DT with 31.5" arms that's currently playing. He facing an uphill battle on the road to being a quality starting DT. I don't think Alim was really anything special either, but at least he had 32 5/8" arms, and a pretty solid pro day himself for a 317 lb man. I think Donahue was right on this one, but ultimately won't surprise me if neither guy ends up starting. Hopefully Milton bucks the trend of T-rex DT's doing nothing besides run plugging in the NFL, but that's not very likely. He's probably just a more nimble PJ Hall.

McNeill is the better player rn, but what is up with you and these weird cut-offs? You can find tons of very successful DTs with arms that are like 32" to 32 5/8ths (Aaron Donald). How many of those sub 32" DTs have Milton's explosiveness? A quarter of an inch to a whole inch arm length missing from Williams game won't be why he succeeds or fails. Sure would you rather him be between 32.0 to 33.0" where most DTs fall? Yeah, but I don't think its necessary for him to be a good player with his explosion and lateral movement. He has pretty good hand usage and his hands are heavy. He's also gonna close the distance between him and the iOL faster than most too.

• Like 1

Has good hand usage and explosion. Will be playing a position in DT where arm length matters far far less than DE. Plus we're supposed to be running a lot of line games that'll really magnify his athleticism and explosion. He was the right pick specifically for us over McNeil.

1 minute ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Has good hand usage

Yeah that was one of his positives coming out. He's gonna have to work harder to get inside guys chests but if he utilizes his explosiveness right and is accurate with his striking and heavy hands it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm sure having Hargrave whose arms are barely longer in front of him and someone that is great with leverage like Cox to learn from will do him good.Β 

But, I am sure that arm length is what knocked him down boards. NFL likes length, but if you can play you can play. Can't remember why Geno Atkins fell to the 4th round but I'm willing to bet some of it had to do with only having 32" arms. Jurrell Casey is the same I think and he fell to the 3rd. Grady Jarrett is like in between their arm length and Aaron Donald and he fell to the 5th round. Javon Hargrave with short arms also fell to round 3.

I'm pretty sure if his arms were like an inch longer like Donald he wouldn't have fell to round 3 either. We would have had to take him at like 37th or in a trade back to the mid 2nd at the latest.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

10 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Has good hand usage and explosion. Will be playing a position in DT where arm length matters far far less than DE. Plus we're supposed to be running a lot of line games that'll really magnify his athleticism and explosion. He was the right pick specifically for us over McNeil.

It’s a good point, heard they are going to be doing way more stuff up front. Arm length wouldn’t matter much if he’s twisting behind Β guys.

54 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm aware. You've told us already. Like @DangerΒ I would have been happy for you, but all my support is behind Milton now, especially after how the media and fans did him after the Donahoe video.

Honestly anyone ****ting on Milton Williams right now is taking the whole hating Howie thing way too far.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Danger said:

Honestly anyone ****ting on Milton Williams right now is taking the whole hating Howie thing way too far.

Word.Β I just hate for the kid that he had to deal with that crap on what should be the happiest day of his life. I’m sure he’ll use it as motivation, but still. Also, theΒ media harping to Dickerson about his injuries was annoying too like one of y’all can ask about injuries but leave the kid alone on his day. I swear the first things they asked him about was his injury history and his favorite DeVonta moment πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

McNeill is the better player rn, but what is up with you and these weird cut-offs? You can find tons of very successful DTs with arms that are like 32" to 32 5/8ths (Aaron Donald). How many of those sub 32" DTs have Milton's explosiveness? A quarter of an inch to a whole inch arm length missing from Williams game won't be why he succeeds or fails. Sure would you rather him be between 32.0 to 33.0" where most DTs fall? Yeah, but I don't think its necessary for him to be a good player with his explosion and lateral movement. He has pretty good hand usage and his hands are heavy. He's also gonna close the distance between him and the iOL faster than most too.

It's not just me that has weird cut-offs.Β 
In game explosiveness or pro day explosiveness? Because Milton wasn't really exploding on game days.
Again, just name a single DT, with under 32" arms, that is good and playing right now.Β  If you can't find one, then it's probably safe to assume Milton Williams won't be the first outlier, just because he's fast, agile, and an eagle. The dude has midget arms, and that's a detriment when it comes to leverage. Every year there is a DT or two with 31" arms that does 35+ bench reps, but can't move anybody at the LOS in the NFL because he has T-rex arms. If you can't get your hands on the OL to manipulate their leverage, or your arms are too short to get the OL's arms off your pads,Β 40 yard dash, bench press, and agility are all meaningless. That's why 32" in the threshold. 95% of the OG/C's he will be going against have 32"+ arms.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah I like Milton as a prospect. From a football perspective no issue with what they did.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I was listening to someone, forget who, I think it was the radio, who said Donohue was all pissy because he wanted CB Aaron Robinson who was taken after our trade down by the Giants.Β 

That's why you don't listen to radio. It's already been confirmed that it was McNeill.

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That's why you don't listen to radio. It's already been confirmed that it was McNeill.

I read it was β€œa couple guys” that they liked.Β 
Β 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-draft-2021-eagles-desperate-ever-cornerback-help%3famp

β€œIn the third round, the Eagles had Central Florida’s Aaron Robinson within range, but that’s when they traded with the Panthers to drop from 70 to 73. Robinson went 71 to the Giants, and that was presumably the source ofΒ Tom Donahoe’s now-famous war-room frustration.”

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I read it was β€œa couple guys” that they liked.Β 
Β 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-draft-2021-eagles-desperate-ever-cornerback-help%3famp

β€œIn the third round, the Eagles had Central Florida’s Aaron Robinson within range, but that’s when they traded with the Panthers to drop from 70 to 73. Robinson went 71 to the Giants, and that was presumably the source ofΒ Tom Donahoe’s now-famous war-room frustration.”

Seems like that was just conjecture on Roobs' part the night after the draft.Β 

Howie said it was McNeil on WIPΒ 

Β 

I think it was a case of they had at least two similarly rated players and were not as unanimous as you'd like. Howie took the extra pick and figured only one of them would go.Β Most likely asked Carolina "Offense or Defense" and were fine with the move if they had 3 names on their board knowing the Panthers were going on the other side of the ball.Β 
Giants probably weren't going DT, so Lions were the only risk..
(And maybe there were even more players like the two CBs after 73Β or Surratt that they liked.)

3 70 Carolina Panthers Brady ChristensenΒ  OT BYU Ind. (FBS) fromΒ Philadelphia[R3 - 2]
Β  3 71 New York Giants Aaron RobinsonΒ  CB UCF The American fromΒ Denver[R3 - 3]
Β  3 72 Detroit Lions Alim McNeillΒ  DT NC State ACC Β 
Β  3 73 Philadelphia Eagles Milton WilliamsΒ  DT Louisiana Tech C-USA fromΒ Carolina[R3 - 4]
Β  3 74 Washington Football Team Benjamin St-JusteΒ  CB Minnesota Big Ten from San Francisco[R3 - 5]
Β  3 75 Dallas Cowboys Osa OdighizuwaΒ  DT UCLA Pac-12 Β 
Β  3 76 New Orleans Saints Paulson AdeboΒ  CB Stanford Pac-12 fromΒ N.Y. GiantsΒ viaΒ Denver[R3 - 6]
Β  3 – New England Patriots Selection forfeited[Forfeit 1]
Β  3 77 Los Angeles Chargers Josh PalmerΒ  WR Tennessee SEC Β 
Β  3 78 Minnesota Vikings Chazz SurrattΒ  LB North Carolina ACC Β 
Β  3 79 Las Vegas Raiders Malcolm KoonceΒ  DE Buffalo MAC from Arizona[R3 - 7]
Β  3 80 Las Vegas Raiders Divine DeabloΒ  S Virginia Tech ACC Β 
Β  3 81 Miami Dolphins Hunter LongΒ  TE Boston College ACC Β 
Β  3 82 Washington Football Team Dyami BrownΒ  WR North Carolina ACC Β 
Β  3 83 Carolina Panthers Tommy TrembleΒ  TE Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) fromΒ Chicago[R3 - 8]

Β 

Β 

Right now we know one guy for sure wanted Alim, and reportedly there were others.
There's nothing to say Milton wouldn't have just been the pick at 70. He has theΒ higher upside so I get going him over Alim. Who looks like a solid player but not necessarily a guy you can't get later, somewhat. I mean we got Marlon who I thought was an early 4th going in and does a lot of the same 1tech stuff. Just maybe a little more stout but gives you less of a pass rush bump. Looking at our DTs a pass rush heavy guy should get the bump.

You have Hargrave, Ridgeway and Marlon atΒ  1tech. Cox and Milton at 3. Not sure how much Gannon will continue bring BG inside but that's an optionΒ too. I'd think if they are doing more like stunts he'll be in there some. If you can get BG on a clean twist off Cox between the tackles it'd shut down a lot of plays.

• Like 2

With the news that the old forum is being shut down I decided to go back and read some of the draft threads from Barnett and Marcus Smith and it just proves that some people here have way too much faith in this organization.Β 

The Marcus Smith thread is absolutely hilarious - people literally talking themselves into the pick. No wonder some of those posters went running away from this board.Β 

Β 

Β