Ravens 2021 Draft Thread [No Spoilers]

drd23

A thread to discuss all the happenings of the draft as they happen
To be overjoyed at the player that falls to us unexpectedly or be sad at the ones that didn't 🤔
To rage at the player we picked over the one you wanted 😠
Or to be disappointed when we inevitably trade back out of the first round and make the wait for fresh blood even longer 😅

As always

NO SPOILERS

(And just to be clear on what a spoiler is, it means no discussing picks before they are announced on coverage - be that ESPN or NFL Network, and no posting tweets by insiders that even hint at who a pick will be)

And here's a little something to get you in the mood...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

(And just to be clear on what a spoiler is, it means no discussing picks before they are announced on coverage - be that ESPN or NFL Network, and no posting tweets by insiders that even hint at who a pick will be)

^^^This x1000. Spoiling isn't limited to just coming in and saying "We picked X". 

No posting rumors, hints, or 'educated' guesses by draft pundits. Nothing. 

Here's an example of spoiling in a different way that bothered me last year:

Before the pick came down, Dan posted "I don't get this". Which immediately signaled to any reader that it was a pick totally out of left field or a pick that would be surprising. Which is absolutely spoiling imo. We all know the popular and heavy discussed names around here. If before everyone else knew the pick I posted something like "Wow, no one saw this coming!!", then it would instantly eliminate names like Bateman, Phillips, Humphrey, etc from your head- thus spoiling the pick by process of elimination.

Now maybe he had a super Danish broadcast that was ahead of all ours by a decent chunk. Or maybe he just got tripped up in the moment(I don't think he actually meant to be spoilery at all), but there were unintended consequences. 

So this year, those who are actively posting during the draft should get on the same page in terms of time gaps between the varying streams. That way we can avoid similar spoiling situations.** And a good rule of thumb is to not click the 'See new posts/replies" option that appears at the bottom of the screen when your own broadcast of the draft might be seconds away from announcing the pick.** There's a large chance other streams were ahead of yours and reactions are flying in which would spoil the pick you're about to hear. So just wait for the actual announcement on your stream. Then once you have the pick you can safely look at the new posts.

Another good tip would be to avoid Twitter and NFL Gen. Both are pretty much designed to spoil you.

Edited by DreamKid

@drd23 You might want to put NO SPOILERS in the thread title to avoid some drama.

This going to be a new experience for me because for the first time since before the 2006 draft, I have not really formed strong opinions for or against a top pick, so I'm going in pretty open minded. There are few scenarios that would really bother me. Among them would be waiting for late round 3 for getting Lamar help or spending one of our firsts on a smaller WR who isn't Smith or Waddle. I was originally on the side that the Ravens don't NEED to spend a premium pick on an EDGE, but looking at the players there are some interesting talents who may be BPA. I know we have to replace Brown on the line, but I still feel like the right blocker on the interior will help the team more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

This going to be a new experience for me because for the first time since before the 2006 draft, I have not really formed strong opinions for or against a top pick, so I'm going in pretty open minded.

In this same vein, I don't think there's a pick that could get the forum over the hill excited or down into the pits of despair. There's guys we would prefer to and to not pick sure, but I don't know if there's anyone that's going to make us freak out in either direction. Which is kind of funny because it's such an important draft during a critical window for our team.