Day One: Draft day! (NO SPOILERS. AKA PICK TIPPING)

615finest

When we say evolve, are we talking micro evolution or macro evolution? Because if we’re talking macro, as in changing the offense to go away from Henry, I 100% disagree.

We’ve had a top 5 offense over the past 2 seasons (since Tannehill replaced Mariota), and we want to go away from that? I find that crazy tbh. What we need is to simply tweak the offense to get the ball in AJ’s hands when Henry doesn’t have it going, or devise better game plan’s that use Henry as more of a decoy when going up against a specific opponent that has a top rushing defense instead of banging our head against the wall repeatedly hoping to not get a concussion.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Given that our last two playoff games he’s carried the ball 37 times for barely 100 yards and had 5 catches for 3 yards, yeah, I kind of lack faith in worsening the receiving options and handing him an even bigger workload as he gets older.

But I suppose it’s the plan, maybe we’ll see more of the hyper conservative Ravens style play calling in the regular season.

I know it’s time for me to stop being a Debbie Downer lol. Just struggling with settling for the offense is good enough when there was an opportunity to build something special.

I mean, we won 11 games and had the top scoring offense in the entire league with that and absolutely no defense.

33 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Our offense won't be "good enough" until we realize that running the ball over and over with Derrick in January won't get you to a SB.

It got us one game away literally the year before last.

I’m not saying be a one trick pony. We also have one of the best receivers in the league on our team too.

I just think that this idea that we need two dynamic, game breaking receivers has no basis in reality.

We need some support for AJ, but not a first rounder. Especially in a run first offense.

• Like 1

So I've been thinking about this today. Atlanta seems destine to pass on a QB at the top of round one. But what if we get to pick 22 and one of the top 4 QB's is still available. Would you guys be open to a trade with Atlanta out of the 1st round completely? Maybe our first and a a future draft pick for Atlanta's second rounder and Julio Jones?   

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

When we say evolve, are we talking micro evolution or macro evolution? Because if we’re talking macro, as in changing the offense to go away from Henry, I 100% disagree.

We’ve had a top 5 offense over the past 2 seasons (since Tannehill replaced Mariota), and we want to go away from that? I find that crazy tbh. What we need is to simply tweak the offense to get the ball in AJ’s hands when Henry doesn’t have it going, or devise better game plan’s that use Henry as more of a decoy when going up against a specific opponent that has a top rushing defense instead of banging our head against the wall repeatedly hoping to not get a concussion.

I am not saying flip the table over and change everything. But something needs to change to elevate in the playoffs. We also have to realize not every team is the same year to year, we can not forget that we lost CD and Jonnu. Two huge contributors in the red zone and run game. I think to beat some of these teams in the playoffs you have to be special offensively. I think speed to take the top off that is reliable is a good place to start. I agree we don’t want to get too far away what makes our offense great but it can be our achilles heel in the biggest moments. We can’t realistically depend on the fact that Henry is going to continue at this pace. I want us to be more versatile when we face those big tests where we have failed.

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It got us one game away literally the year before last.

That's exactly why it's not enough. We didn't make it because we faced a team that sold out against the run, succeeded, and we didn't have a plan B. 

The past 3 "playoff" settings we've been in -- KC AFCCG, Green Bay Week 16 this year, and Baltimore WCG -- we've faced playoff worthy defenses who absolutely sold out to stop Derrick and dared the other 10 guys on offense to beat us without him. At one point or another, we absolutely fell apart offensively in all three games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Seems like we’ve been clamoring to “modernize” our offense for years, yet here we are still hoping

On another note, I still wish we found a way to end this weekend with JC Jackson on the team.

I tend to often beg for a more "modern" offense but, if I'm being honest with myself, that's not happening unless you have a Pat Mahomes type QB. As good as Ryan is, he's not that good.

What could possibly make all the difference for us is more flexible situational play-calling. In those three games, Art got TOO dedicated to the run much TOO early (moreso in GB/Balt than KC if memory serves). It could be the difference in passing on a first down instead of running to get a drive rolling instead of stalling.

Whether people want to admit it or not, Ryan is the limitation on this offense. He cannot drop back 25x in a half and pick apart a defense and come back from 14 down in January. He's not good enough.

But he is good enough to win as a piece of a well-oiled machine, which I think our offense can be due to the trio of Henry/Ryan/AJ. We just need a few more complementary pieces (#2 WR, consistent TE, some sort of speed guy) and FLEXIBLE play-calling. Our offensive system can work and win a super bowl. We just need better playcalling at the right times. (Easier said than done, of course).