Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

I'm not sure how anybody can have a strong opinion on this pick right now. Indeed, offensive line remains a massive need but it seems like there will be decent options in round 2 while there wouldn't have been any top RB options in round 2. Assuming the steelers do not ignore the line, this pick is fine. I like Harris a lot as a weapon in our offense and we had 0 at the RB position. We massively upgraded that position.

With that said, if they don't address the line tomorrow night, I hate the pick. We'll see how it plays out. 

Edited by Steelers22
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I see more of a Derrick Henry 

How? Derrick Henry has a completely different running style and isn’t even close to as effective in the passing game. Henry has breakaway speed that Harris simply doesn’t have and Harris is much more shifty and patient in his running style. Henry is super stiff runs upright. No RB really compares to Henry tbh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I really like this pick. I'm hoping for Creed Humphrey in R2.

Although I'd also love to see us trade a 3rd, 6th, and 2022 3rd to get another 2nd and take Jenkins too

I think knowing we have a comp 3rd next year i wouldnt be shocked to see us make a move up on day 2 to get a falling target that we like. maybe our 3rd this year and next to get back into the late 2nd for our guy whoever that may be

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

If Friermuth makes it to 55 I could definitely see them going Harris-Friermuth-Center and then using both 4th round picks on defense. 

Outside of that scenerio, I agree I think Center and Corner will be the next two picks. 

I think the next selection is C. My guess is Humphreys or Meyers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers22 said:

I'm not sure how anybody can have a strong opinion on this pick right now.

Indeed, offensive line remains a massive need but it seems like there will be decent options in round 2 while there wouldn't have been any top RB options in round 2. Assuming the steelers do not ignore the line, this pick is fine. I like Harris a lot as a weapon in our offense. If they don't address the line tomorrow night, I hate the pick. We'll see how it plays out. 

Bottom line is if the Steelers would have used 24 on O-Line they would have been reaching on a 2nd round player. No O-Lineman were selected after the Harris pick. Everyone and their mother knows the sweet spot/value for O Lineman in this draft is on day 2 yet people out there are still saying we should have gone O Line. If we would have passed on someone like Darrisaw I would get it but the value simply wasn’t there at 24, regardless of how you feel about taking Harris.

• Like 1

I talked myself into accepting that we would draft a RB round 1, but I still dont like the pick.   Seems like a good dude and was crazy productive, but a 23 year old RB from a school notorious for making RBs look better than they ever end up being in the NFL doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

How? Derrick Henry has a completely different running style and isn’t even close to as effective in the passing game. Henry has breakaway speed that Harris simply doesn’t have and Harris is much more shifty and patient in his running style. Henry is super stiff runs upright. No RB really compares to Henry tbh. 

I guess you have a point but I see them as having similar power. 

I dont see the Bell comparison at all. 

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

I talked myself into accepting that we would draft a RB round 1, but I still dont like the pick.   Seems like a good dude and was crazy productive, but a 23 year old RB from a school notorious for making RBs look better than they ever end up being in the NFL doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy. 

Who would you have taken?

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I guess you have a point but I see them as having similar power. 

I dont see the Bell comparison at all. 

Patient running styles, jump cuts, win with elite vision, slippery through arm tackles, lack speed to break long runs, good power/short yardage, and good receivers although Najee has a long way to go before he’s a matchup nightmare like Bell was. I see a lot of similarities. Harris, like Bell will consistently get a bunch of 5-15 yard runs but rarely will he break a 30-40+ yarder.

Also they are built similar where they are taller than your average RB and built for 25+ touches per game. 

Harris: 6-2, 230lbs

Bell: 6-1, 225lbs