Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

2 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I think Dickerson is DND due to injury.

I agree with you in the second or third round. Fourth, I mite take a flier on him. I can’t remember how many drafts in a row where the steelers have selected two guys for the same school so it wouldn’t surprise me.It’s still amazing to see a guy that big be a center and move like he did.
I wish the panthers didn’t take a cornerback so Dallas got theirs. With ASJ still on the board, I was dreaming with him being a second round pick for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

Etienne over Harris, for starters.

Trade down wouldve been nice.

But, this is a "win now" type of pick, so it makes sense.

Harris better end up being a stud because if I have to watch Etienne tear up the league and become a top 5 RB like I think he will and he was drafted one spot behind us, man that will be tough. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Patient running styles, jump cuts, win with elite vision, slippery through arm tackles, lack speed to break long runs, good power/short yardage, and good receivers although Najee has a long way to go before he’s a matchup nightmare like Bell was. I see a lot of similarities. Harris, like Bell will consistently get a bunch of 5-15 yard runs but rarely will he break a 30-40+ yarder.

Also they are built similar where they are taller than your average RB and built for 25+ touches per game. 

Harris: 6-2, 230lbs

Bell: 6-1, 225lbs

I guess, but ultimately of the two I think Harris will be better. I also think he has better character. 

I mean, hosting your draft party at a homeless shelter for kids. I mean that's legit.

• Like 1

Very solid pick , he's a starter day 1

Every other position is pretty much set with it's starters 

Rd 2 defense 

Rd 3 Kendrick Green-ellis 

I don't think they think Oline is in as bad as shape as fans think... Banner & BJ coming back , signed haeg and a guard(forget his name)  ... C and a developmental T type

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

Jarvis Jones. 

lol , how could we forget 👏

Harris could be good, but the OL has to get better and a QB under centre would help as well as a QB that can/will throw down the field.  But thats a few years away unless injury forces the issue

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I talked myself into accepting that we would draft a RB round 1, but I still dont like the pick.   Seems like a good dude and was crazy productive, but a 23 year old RB from a school notorious for making RBs look better than they ever end up being in the NFL doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy. 

this is the concern, he played on a top tier OL and is now playing on a bad OL most likely .  Then add the ben factor and it could be a rough start for Harris.   Maybe they get Dickerson at Harris' request for the OL, Banner returns good to go, and everyone else wakes up and plays better. Maybe 

1 hour ago, Cbrunn said:

Very solid pick , he's a starter day 1

Every other position is pretty much set with it's starters 

Rd 2 defense 

Rd 3 Kendrick Green-ellis 

I don't think they think Oline is in as bad as shape as fans think... Banner & BJ coming back , signed haeg and a guard(forget his name)  ... C and a developmental T type

I am not sold on Finney as a starter, and slot corner does not even have a depth chart at all, much less a starter.  

• Like 1

What Walt of Walterfootball had to say:

Pittsburgh Steelers: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama - D- Grade
I hate this pick. I'm not going to flunk the Steelers because I think Najee Harris will be a good player in the NFL. This grade has almost nothing to do with the player, but rather the position. Running backs grow on trees, so there's no point in taking one in the first round. Seriously, when is the last time a team succeeded because they spent their first-round pick on a running back? I talked to one team ahead of this draft that needed a running back, and they said, "We can just get one in the fifth or sixth round." That is the correct mentality as far as running backs are concerned.

Honestly half these grades and reactions is making me feel so much better.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

this is the concern, he played on a top tier OL and is now playing on a bad OL most likely .  Then add the ben factor and it could be a rough start for Harris.   Maybe they get Dickerson at Harris' request for the OL, Banner returns good to go, and everyone else wakes up and plays better. Maybe 

He played with a good like but a lot of times he's making something out of nothing too. 

Multiple multiple times he's just not taking what's there , he's creating and following his blockers and setting up the defenders to get an extra 7-8 yards

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What Walt of Walterfootball had to say:

Honestly half these grades and reactions is making me feel so much better.

Walt is a clown, but I dont ENTIRELY disagree with the mentality.    Im never a fan of drafting a RB in the first round, but the Steelers put themselves in a bad situation where it was pretty necessary.    

I dont agree that waiting until the 5th or 6th round is a great idea.   Maybe for a backup if you already have a decent starter.   We dont.    We have Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland, and while I think McFarland can develop and Snell can be okay for a few carries a game, we needed a jolt to the running game.    A 5th or 6th rounder isnt going to do that.      I wouldve preferred Etienne because he is younger and has more big play potential, but either way, RB was an absolute early round need if we want to see a notable improvement.    Not saying we will definitely see it, but we certainly wouldnt without an infusion of major talent.

Biggest reason Im okay with it is because at least its a "win now" move.     They brought Ben back because they believe they can still win with him....if they wouldve just drafted a bunch of developmental players that couldnt necessarily contribute immediately, it wouldve been an incredibly foolish move.    Thats another reason I didnt want a player like Oweh....we need players that can provide immediate return on our investment.

Im hoping we draft a CB and OLineman on day 2.   We might get one of them.   Typically, we draft a position out of left field on day 2....so I wouldnt be shocked to see a safety or even a QB taken.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kurgan said:

I am not sold on Finney as a starter, and slot corner does not even have a depth chart at all, much less a starter.  

Yeah Slot CB is deep in this draft, but absolutely.  2-4 a CB will be drafted 

I just think 3-4 is the sweet spot for C in this draft, kendrick green ellis, Robert Hainsey , David moore , trey hill 

Any of those guys are starting sooner rather then later