Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Walt is a clown, but I dont ENTIRELY disagree with the mentality.    Im never a fan of drafting a RB in the first round, but the Steelers put themselves in a bad situation where it was pretty necessary.    

I dont agree that waiting until the 5th or 6th round is a great idea.   Maybe for a backup if you already have a decent starter.   We dont.    We have Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland, and while I think McFarland can develop and Snell can be okay for a few carries a game, we needed a jolt to the running game.    A 5th or 6th rounder isnt going to do that.      I wouldve preferred Etienne because he is younger and has more big play potential, but either way, RB was an absolute early round need if we want to see a notable improvement.    Not saying we will definitely see it, but we certainly wouldnt without an infusion of major talent.

Biggest reason Im okay with it is because at least its a "win now" move.     They brought Ben back because they believe they can still win with him....if they wouldve just drafted a bunch of developmental players that couldnt necessarily contribute immediately, it wouldve been an incredibly foolish move.    Thats another reason I didnt want a player like Oweh....we need players that can provide immediate return on our investment.

Im hoping we draft a CB and OLineman on day 2.   We might get one of them.   Typically, we draft a position out of left field on day 2....so I wouldnt be shocked to see a safety or even a QB taken.

I agree too, but....and I just got blocked by Geoff Schwartz for challenging him on this:  What OL player would you have reached on then?  Like to improve the running game takes 3 things: Talent at RB, talent at OL, and scheme.  Scheme was taken care of we think with Canada.  The talent at RB was so much better than the talent at OL when we were on the board at 24.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I agree too, but....and I just got blocked by Geoff Schwartz for challenging him on this:  What OL player would you have reached on then?  Like to improve the running game takes 3 things: Talent at RB, talent at OL, and scheme.  Scheme was taken care of we think with Canada.  The talent at RB was so much better than the talent at OL when we were on the board at 24.

I made the same argument on Warren Sharp’s post trashing our pick 🤣

These football “sharps” can’t WAIT to trash any team that takes a RB in the first nowadays it’s hilarious. Because taking a RB at 24 (and getting a 5th year option) and taking a RB at let’s say 36 (with no 5th year option) is so much different.

I know I've seen a ton of Bell comparisons for Harris, but I'm still on this better Ingram prime take.  He's going to be very good, very solid, might not be a top 5, but you will need to complement him.  If McDonald can give us some Kamara like pass catching and speed to go with Harris, our backfield will be deadly.  Snell's gonna be the 3rd back, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Ballage to get a hat over Snell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

These football “sharps” can’t WAIT to trash any team that takes a RB in the first nowadays it’s hilarious. Because taking a RB at 24 (and getting a 5th year option) and taking a RB at let’s say 36 (with no 5th year option) is so much different.

Warren sharp is a pretty good fantasy football analyst....this not so much.

As you said the 5th year option and 1 year on Framchise tag gets you the 6 peak years of a RBs shelf life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Some of these guys have such thin skin when you call out these takes and it's hilarious.  Warren Sharp blocked me last year when I called out his hate of trading for Fitzpatrick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Plenty of OL left...even with a probable run on them, someone should be a solid value in the 2nd.

Ive got a hunch it’s Meinerz if they go OL.

This is a spot Colbert really telegraphed, when he said they like the developmental OT's in this draft and they think there's a ton of value later at OC.  Don't be shocked if we don't address OL til rounds 3/4.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

This is a spot Colbert really telegraphed, when he said they like the developmental OT's in this draft and they think there's a ton of value later at OC.  Don't be shocked if we don't address OL til rounds 3/4.

It wouldn’t shock me...I just got a hunch on Meinherz if he’s there....I could be wrong.

Theyve showed a lot of pre draft interest in him just like Highsmith and Dotson last year...for a small school guy that’s a sign.

I agree on the OT comment...I think it’s going to be 1 of our 4th rounders.

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

3-4 is the sweet spot 

I don't want marinez in Rd 2, I get the great story but...a self made C with no big time experience... And you expect him to come in and start? Read NFL defenses and make the protection calls? No thanks

Give me any of kendrick green-ellis, robert Hainsey, trey hill in Rd 3 or 4a 

Positions of need still left:

OL - Teven Jenkins, Liam Eichenberg, Dillon Radunz, Landon Dickerson, Creed Humphrey, Quinn Meinerz, Walker Little, Samuel Cosmi, Spencer Brown, Jackson Carman, Wyatt Davis, James Hudson, Aaron Brooks, Trey Smith, Josh Myers (Day 2 grades for me)

CB - Asante Samuel Jr, Tyson Campbell, Elijah Molden, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Kelvin Joseph, Aaron Robinson, Benjamin St-Juste, Tay Gowan, Shakur Brown, Shawn Wade

TE - Hunter Long, Pat Freiermuth, Tommy Tremble, Breven Jordan

And then there's the "luxury" guys, not a need but could take:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah** LB, Levi Onwuzurike NT, Chazz Surratt LB, Rondale Moore WR, Kellen Mond QB, Amari Rodgers WR, Shi Smith WR, Jamar Johnson S, Baron Browning LB

** - I starred Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah to highlight why I think he's falling.  The last few years a couple of these "tweener" guys have gone in the draft on the defensive side, and they tend to struggle to find a "home" position in a base defense.  Reddick, Peppers, Isaiah...it's so hard to find them a home position and these guys struggle because they are trying to learn multiple positions rather than master one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AFF said:

It wouldn’t shock me...I just got a hunch on Meinherz if he’s there....I could be wrong.

Theyve showed a lot of pre draft interest in him just like Highsmith and Dotson last year...for a small school guy that’s a sign.

I agree on the OT comment...I think it’s going to be 1 of our 4th rounders.

They showed interest in a bunch of Oline. Klem put kendrick green ellis through his drills at his pro day 

Everyone was at Notre Dame pro day and so on

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

I just got a hunch on Meinherz if he’s there

Just now, Cbrunn said:

I don't want marinez in Rd 2

Dear lord its Meinerz. For a fandom that's needed to spell names like Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala, and Kimo Von Oelhoffen

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Dear lord its Meinerz. For a fandom that's needed to spell names like Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala, and Kimo Von Oelhoffen

I’m hungover...forgive me.

• Like 1