Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

On 4/29/2021 at 10:07 AM, Dcash4 said:

Best case scenario: 1) Harris/Etienne 2) Freiermuth 3) Best C available

I’ve never been this happy about a draft, which actually scares me terribly...

Have a great night gents, I know I am. Until tomorrow. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’ve never been this happy about a draft, which actually scares me terribly...

Have a great night gents, I know I am. Until tomorrow. 

good to see someone enjoying this. Lets hope this translates in 2021.  So Green will be the new C and Finney back up OG.  If Banner returns healthy, and new OC and OL coach deliver, then the OL could be decent. Add Harris and maybe a return to Steelers football? If ben allows ;) 

At least colbert didn't opt for the edmunds or burns type picks with reaches that might/won't pan out.  See how the RD2 TE pick does in this new OC scheme and going into the future, but this could be a great pick as well. 

Not sure what you think, but Justin Houston might be available in UFA, could rotate at DE keeping Watt fresh and teaching Highsmith in the process. Nothing wrong with a former all pro vet to teach the younger players. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Who are the best EDGE and CBs that might be around for us in the 4th?

EDGE: Rashad Weaver (Pitt), Daelin Hayes (ND), Hamlicar Rashed Jr (Oregon State), Janarius Robinson (FSU), Patrick Johnson (Tulane), Tarron Jackson (CCarolina)

CB:  Kary Vincent Jr (LSU)-S, Camryn Bynum (Cal), Rodarius Williams (OklState), Shaun Wade (OSU)-S, Robert Rochell (Cent.Ark), Isreal Mukuamu (Scar), Ar'Darius Washington (TCU)-S

• Like 1

Position wise, this is pretty expected.     I fully expected RB and OL in the first 3 rounds....and then either TE or CB.     So no shocks.

Harris and Friermuth are "Win now" types who will be able to contribute pretty significantly as rookies.     Both are pro ready prospects. with pretty high floors IMO.

Admittedly, I know nothing of our 3rd round pick....but many Steeler fans seems to like him.   Why is he rated so low on ESPN?  Not that that means anything, but Im just wondering if there is reason they seem to have him valued as a late round pick.

Either way, I have no issues with this draft.  Well...maybe not ENTIRELY true, but based on expectations, there is nothing that really upsets me.

CB is going to be a wasteland unless someone really steps up.     Probably draft one and maybe sign a vet before the season.      They cant hang their hats on ANYTHING behind Haden and Sutton.   

Here is my mock the rest of the way

4a. Shakur Brown CB Michigan State
4b. Dan Moore Jr. OT Texas A&M
6. Joshuah Bledsoe Safety Missouri
7a. Tony Fields II ILB West Virginia
7b. Grant Stuard OLB Houston

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Position wise, this is pretty expected.     I fully expected RB and OL in the first 3 rounds....and then either TE or CB.     So no shocks.

Harris and Friermuth are "Win now" types who will be able to contribute pretty significantly as rookies.     Both are pro ready prospects. with pretty high floors IMO.

Admittedly, I know nothing of our 3rd round pick....but many Steeler fans seems to like him.   Why is he rated so low on ESPN?  Not that that means anything, but Im just wondering if there is reason they seem to have him valued as a late round pick.

Either way, I have no issues with this draft.  Well...maybe not ENTIRELY true, but based on expectations, there is nothing that really upsets me.

CB is going to be a wasteland unless someone really steps up.     Probably draft one and maybe sign a vet before the season.      They cant hang their hats on ANYTHING behind Haden and Sutton.   

can the RD3 pick be worse than pouncey thought nd I am not just referring to the snap in the playoff game either? Really though, most centers in the league would be an improvement and the RD3 pick  might be too. 

CB cold be thin , I just hope it doesn't get back to where it was a few years ago, unwatchable for the most part. Layne might be in trouble, and if Haden or Sutton get injured, then what? Add to this, what if Watt or Highsmith get hurt? I would sign Justin Houston since we play 4-3 anyways which is all Houston wants to play these days. 

34 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

can the RD3 pick be worse than pouncey thought nd I am not just referring to the snap in the playoff game either? Really though, most centers in the league would be an improvement and the RD3 pick  might be too.

Truth be told, I was actually going to say this earlier before we even drafted a center.

Pouncey was one of, if not THE worst run blocking center in he league last year.   He was never a particularly strong run blocker.  Only years he was really was when Munch was here working his magic, but he was also making backups look decent, so....

You CAN do worse than Pouncey was in 2020.   Look at Sean Mahan in 2007 or even Hartwig right before we got Pouncey.

However, as I said several times last year....Pouncey is ALMOST an addition by subtraction with how bad he was at times in 2020.    I honestly dont expect the center position to be much better this year, regardless of who starts, but if I had to guess, I would say there might be a slight improvement in the run blocking, but we may take a hit in pass blocking.    But if we can run the ball, that should help.

• Like 4

I didn't expect freiermuth to be there in the 2nd and most guys have it a C or D grade 

Give me a combo of any of these guys and it's a successful draft

Edge - daelin hayes , shaka Tony, FSU guys , quincy roche , weaver , chris rumpf, elerson smith, charles Snowden, hamilcar rashes 

CB - shaun wade, Kary Vincent Jr, Thomas graham jr, tre brown, robert rochelle 

S - hamsah nasirildeen or james Wiggins (both great options for big nickel/slot guys)

Green is very mobile which, I am guessing, what the Steelers want in their centers.  He is going to need some time and coaching.  He has only been playing Oline for 3 years.  He will need a lot of coaching and reps to get him up to starting

• Like 1