Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

Alex Kozora
@Alex_Kozora
·
10m
McCain reportedly coming to Pittsburgh. UDFA process is messy. Fluid situations. Broncos could have made an offer. This could turn out to be tryouts with McCain going to Denver one week, Pittsburgh the next.

McCain would make this team

We got a lot more physical as a team with this draft. And last years, honestly. I think the FO is making a concerted effort to get back to a smash mouth team. We got a horse of a RB, a super physical pass catcher, two head banger o-linemen, a hitter for ILB, a big tough D-linemen. Add a lunch pail type EDGE guy, and a large punter for the lolz. Last year we get a monster WR, a bulldozer RG, another hard working EDGE, a hard hitting safety/nickel, and an athletic marvel at NT. Definitely seem to be following a trend. 

• Like 1

Is it just me or are opinions of Freiermuth's blocking all over the map? It's everything from he's highly physical to he needs work to he's awful. I don't follow the college game, but assessments usually aren't that disjointed on a guy who is  top 60 player. Especially on something as straight forward as blocking.

21 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

To be fair...Gerry had to do what we all did...find any relevant information on Loudermilk and the NFL Draft, and scroll through the first 5 pages of google results of how he might be able to to get on a team via UDFA, but most likely, via a tryout...so there's that...

I'm sorry...I exaggerated...there were only 2 and a half pages of google results when searching Loudermilk NFL Draft...ugh...

...what a horrible, horrible selection...were they afraid that the Ravens might get to him in on a tryout before us, so we panicked and traded into the 5th round for him??

I don't know anything about the pick, but if Tuitt and Heyward are healthy and Alulu is as well, then it shouldn't matter this year.  If injuries occur (usually do a bit at least) we will find out. Still, lets be happy no artie burns type reaches early on.

Here is my prediction for the 53 roster, assuming we dont sign anyone:

QB: Ben, Rudolph, Haskins
WR Diontae, Juju, Claypool, Washington, Double Ray
OL: Chuks, Banner, JC, BJ, Decastro, Dotson, Haeg, Moore, Green
TE: Freiermuth, Ebron, Gentry
RB: Najee, Snell, McFarland, Jaylen
FB: Watt

DL: Cam, Tuitt, Davis, Alualu, Loudermilk, Buggs
LB: Other Watt, Bush, Vince, Highsmith, Roche, Allen, Spillane, Buddy Johnson, Gilbert
CB: Haden, Sutton, Layne, Pierre, Shakur Brown
Safety: Minkah, Edmunds, Brooks, Norwood, Lamont Wade

Boswell, Harvin, Oh Canaday

35 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Never seen a team sign so many UDFA CBs.  I guess we're hoping one has a hot camp.

Layne might not be around, and letting Nelson and Hilton go never helps either.  I would have though CB early maybe RD3 or 4 at the lates considering how Haden is aging and the lack of CB depth. Maybe CB will be the area they have to address during the season or next season. 

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

Never seen a team sign so many UDFA CBs.  I guess we're hoping one has a hot camp.

I'd still like them to look to sign a vet as a nickel back. There are still some reliable players out there and they need someone who knows what their doing in that nickel spot. I'm no expert, but it seems like one of the more complicated positions on the defense the way the Steelers operate.

does anyone else fear that the CB position could be back to it's bad ways if either starter gets hurt? I still expect Haden to play at a good level, but not sure whats left or if he gets hurt. I'm not expecting antwan blake era,  but it will be a drop off from recent years. I never liked the idea of releasing Nelson either, but that might have been a cap casualty , while of course they kept (and paid) ben 👏

Keeping Ben did not force the Steelers to cut Nelson. Ben has a cap charge of $26 million this year. Cutting him would have led to a dead cap hit of $23 million and downgraded at the most important position on the field. If they added another veteran, then cutting Ben likely results in a net cap loss from what actually happened.

Even if you think Ben is done, the cap is a terrible argument as to why they should have gotten rid of him. Most likely scenario if he had left would have been the team brings in another veteran option as competition and the QB spot actually costs more money.

Nelson is gone because the Steelers valued Haden more despite his age and because Nelson had one year left on his contract and likely wasn't in their long term plans at the position. They weren't looking to pay him more on an extension. It had nothing to do with keeping Ben.

4 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Keeping Ben did not force the Steelers to cut Nelson. Ben has a cap charge of $26 million this year. Cutting him would have led to a dead cap hit of $23 million and downgraded at the most important position on the field. If they added another veteran, then cutting Ben likely results in a net cap loss from what actually happened.

Even if you think Ben is done, the cap is a terrible argument as to why they should have gotten rid of him. Most likely scenario if he had left would have been the team brings in another veteran option as competition and the QB spot actually costs more money.

Nelson is gone because the Steelers valued Haden more despite his age and because Nelson had one year left on his contract and likely wasn't in their long term plans at the position. They weren't looking to pay him more on an extension. It had nothing to do with keeping Ben.

so if ben retired, would they have cut Nelson?  He was our best CB in years the one year, not exactly the player I expected to get cut and I thought perhaps Haden would be the cap casualty of all things.